The Student Room Group

Businessman or university professor

Hi,

If you are 39 years old, have 2 master's degrees and a government job in business (Salary around 2000 GBP/monthly ), and have the opportunity to start your own business and make money. On the other hand, to travel abroad to study for a PhD for three or four years and then to become a university professor (Salary around 5000 GBP/monthly )?

Which options will you choose?

Businessman or university professor?

Thanks
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Adam_pir
Hi,

If you are 39 years old, have 2 master's degrees and a government job in business (Salary around 2000 GBP/monthly ), and have the opportunity to start your own business and make money. On the other hand, to travel abroad to study for a PhD for three or four years and then to become a university professor (Salary around 5000 GBP/monthly )?

Which options will you choose?

Businessman or university professor?

Thanks

The jump from PhD to Prof is extremely uncertain under the best of circumstances and hyper competitive at a good university. In STEM a “raw” PhD student would need another 10-15 years of experience and publications behind them to get a realistic shot at a permanent staff position and only a few % make it that far.

Not sure what the equivalent numbers in your field are, but at mid 40's and finishing a PhD I think the academic route is extremely risky. You should check out "conversion rates" of new PhD to Prof in your chosen field, and take a hard look at expected number of publications, H factor, grant income, invited talks, teaching track record etc for new staff positions so you understand all the other things required as "just" the PhD is insufficient.

Sorry to be negative, but its not an easy path.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Mr Wednesday
The jump from PhD to Prof is extremely uncertain under the best of circumstances and hyper competitive at a good university. In STEM a “raw” PhD student would need another 10-15 years of experience and publications behind them to get a realistic shot at a permanent staff position and only a few % make it that far.

Not sure what the equivalent numbers in your field are, but at mid 40's and finishing a PhD I think the academic route is extremely risky. You should check out "conversion rates" of new PhD to Prof in your chosen field, and take a hard look at expected number of publications, H factor, grant income, invited talks, teaching track record etc for new staff positions so you understand all the other things required as "just" the PhD is insufficient.

Sorry to be negative, but its not an easy path.

Thank you so much. Very useful information. In my country there is not much competition in this area. Those holding a PhD in politics are less than 200. But I agree it is still risky at this age.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending