The Student Room Group

Dyslexic

I was planning take health and social care in college since I was in year 8 but now I have suddenly changed my mind and thinking of taking environmental science, biology and hopefully business. Does anyone think this is a good idea (I want to be a midwife) but the one thing that has been worrying me is the fact I am dyslexic and I may struggle more than the rest of the students...
Original post by gjessica
I was planning take health and social care in college since I was in year 8 but now I have suddenly changed my mind and thinking of taking environmental science, biology and hopefully business. Does anyone think this is a good idea (I want to be a midwife) but the one thing that has been worrying me is the fact I am dyslexic and I may struggle more than the rest of the students...

Hey!

Have you thought about contacting your school/colleges careers adviser and seeing what they suggest. A lot of colleges and unis are aware of conditions such as dyslexia and will support you if needed.

Hi there @gjessica

Universities are aware many students have dyslexia, dyscalculia and dyspraxia and will have support available for them. Many universities have a student welfare and support department, I'd recommend checking the universities you're interested in have one and contacting them beforehand.

Fi :horse:

All universities offer support for being dyslexic, for example, I get extra time in exams, and I get to use a computer. I get a tutor each week and a computer and software to help me. I would suggest you look at the degree you want to do and see what their requirements are and pick a course that will help achieve that goal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending