The Student Room Group

MSc Computer Science students

So, I am a conversion MSc student looking for research topics for my project / dissertation. The reason for this post is that I am struggling to find a topic due to my 'noobness' if you'd like to call it in this subject. It has been less than a year since I've started studying towards this subject.

My supervisor is not getting back to me. Time is ticking and I do need to narrow my ideas down.
I am taking an approach of my most enjoyed module during the year which was Operating Systems and Networking. In particular, the topics I enjoyed were system processes, memory management and the internet protocol suit from networking.

I have used google to get an idea however I am overwhelmed with the suggestions and frankly speaking, most of them are going over my head.

I would appreciate if anyone here can help suggest me potential ideas? an approach? or anything towards me narrowing down my options for research.
(edited 3 years ago)
Does your uni provide a list of suggested topics for projects? It's often a lot easier to choose from a list than come up with something yourself. It might be that it gets published nearer the time you have to actually make your choice?

Failing that, try thinking about what you enjoyed about those modules. What did you find most interesting? Was there an area where something seemed to not quite work in the right way? An area which you didn't really understand but you'd like to know more about? If you start pooling together those sorts of ideas you might start to find they coalesce into a project :smile:

Dan
Data Science, MSc @ HWU
OS, mem, TCP-IP, these are quite useful in business security. There are many defensive posts available, if you go the security route it might be possible to easily get someone to fund your Master?

(Wrote my first virus, worm, phishing attacks on a Data General eclipse time-shared Mainframe in the late 70’s, been steadily employed since then)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending