The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by stargazer2k19
"Buggery" and "sodomy". Lol. How old are you, exactly? You talk like an old man (a bigoted one at that).

You of all people talking of bigotry :rofl:

I normally wouldn't engage with someone so prejudiced or arrogant or cocky or sarcastic, but I will make ONE exception.

I have researched the matter in-depth and I know for a fact that those cultures practiced homosexual sex and didn't punish it. It was the arrival of Abrahamic religion which changed things with regards to same-sex practices.

Oh, and btw, in Arabic countries even today, it is common for men and boys to have sex with each other. It is an ancient tradition , in fact, and a part of their culture long embedded. "Really!!??" I hear you ask. "Why!?" Because they aren't allowed to have sex before marriage in Islam, and so the males have sex with each other as their way of getting around that. It doesn't mean they're all gay or bisexual, of course, it's just a "release."

Oh i feel oh so privileged that one of our resident trolls would deign to engage with me.
What is one 'prejudiced' against though?
Mmhmmm, your quick browsing of wiki doesnt count as 'in depth research' :wink:.

It seems your hearing is a bit faulty.
Original post by Wooord
Are you telling me they asked more than half of the Muslims in the UK??? Lol what bs is this

"51% of ALL UK Muslims" ... I can tell you now, I was never asked this so
Reply 122
Original post by BurstingBubbles
It's interesting that there is such as obsession with gay relationships and 'sodomy' - sodomy ('anal' in this context) can and does happen within straight relationships too - yet people leave straight couples alone. It can't all just be about the act that they think is the problem and is 'unnatural' because as I say it happens in straight relationships and they're left alone so I think it's a disguise for the mislearning of bigotry and homophobia. Like when people say it's unnatural because sex is for reproduction but then people, quite rightly, use birth control and some couples never want children anyway - so a lot of straight sex isn't for reproduction.

Indeed, its an interesting double standard if nothing else.
It is a matter of mild curiosity of where it originally came from, homosexual practices having a waxing and waning acceptance throughout history before a 'relatively' modern practice of (quite literally) damning it to hell.
Original post by Aniqah_a
I understand your point completely. However, this was the ruling sent from God. I cannot answer why or how this was put in place, I wish I could but I honestly can’t. However, I can say that I do not hate those who sin nor do I judge those who sin. Like I said before, everyone should have a right to live their life the way they choose and the way they deem to be appropriate, I’m not in a position where I can call someone “wrong” for the lifestyle they have chosen. However, in the Quran it says homosexuality is a sin. Many Muslims are just trying to do their best and follow their religion in the best way they can and do not intend on spreading hatred. It’s important as well to highlight I don’t think a homosexual relationship is dangerous as there are many more dangerous things out there such as killing innocent people. The only way we can move forward is that if we both understand that we may never agree however, I do not hate those that make these choices and I hope people do not hate me for having these beliefs. As I say, everyone must be tolerant of others decisions whether or not we agree with them.

Again, I remind you: homosexuality (and bisexuality, for that matter) aren't choices people make. If someone is gay or bisexual (or indeed straight!), it's just because that's how they are. You don;t get to choose who you're sexually or romantically attracted to or who you fall in love with.

That said however, you have been very mature in your approach and have shown acceptance of diverging views and are prepared to "live and let live" as they say, and I respect you for that.

We need more people (and with all due respect, I hope you won't be offended....we need more muslims) like you in our society :smile:
I think the misconception that most Muslims are against the LGBTQ community is the fact that Muslim majority countries strongly condemn homosexuality and it’s punishment is prison and in some cases death. If you ask Muslims in countries that condemn homosexuality about what they think about homosexuality, they’ll most likely say it’s wrong, as they’ve been brought up in a society where it’s illegal to be gay. If you ask British Muslims, who were born and raised in this country, I’d expect they’d give a much different answer. This is the because they’ve been raised in a country and society that is very open and relaxed about homosexuality. I think that society influences what people think about homosexuality much more than what a book written a couple thousand of years ago says about homosexuality. Christianity condemns homosexuality, yet most majority Christian countries are very forward thinking when it comes to LBGTQ rights. My parents, for example, are very Christian and they are very anti LGBTQ. They were brought up in a different time to then, a time when homophobia was still rampant in society, even if it was legalised at the time. Yet I was brought up in today’s society, where we learn about homosexuality at school, where we meet people who are openly gay in our classes and who by and large are very accepted in our society.

Question for people: do you think Islamic countries, in the years to come, will become much more accepting of LGBTQ rights and will they ever reach a point in the future, where like the Western world, homosexuality is accepted?
Reply 125
Original post by Just my opinion
The left did choose. The LBG they already threw under the bus but the bug shock for Muslims came along with T.
I never thought they'd do it, but even the likes of Jess Philips, who threw women under the bus describing hundreds of women getting sexually assaulted in Cologne on new new years eve by Muslim immigrants was like an average Saturday night in Brum, even she said no to Muslims when the Birmingham schools sex lessons came along.
For the left everybody falls before Trans, even life long feminist activists.

Can't say i entire agree with the first part of this.
Apropos the last line though, it is interesting watching them savage various members of the womens rights movement on the sacred alter of a couple of transexuals potentially being offended by something.
Original post by Hudds999
I think the misconception that most Muslims are against the LGBTQ community is the fact that Muslim majority countries strongly condemn homosexuality and it’s punishment is prison and in some cases death. If you ask Muslims in countries that condemn homosexuality about what they think about homosexuality, they’ll most likely say it’s wrong, as they’ve been brought up in a society where it’s illegal to be gay. If you ask British Muslims, who were born and raised in this country, I’d expect they’d give a much different answer. This is the because they’ve been raised in a country and society that is very open and relaxed about homosexuality. I think that society influences what people think about homosexuality much more than what a book written a couple thousand of years ago says about homosexuality. Christianity condemns homosexuality, yet most majority Christian countries are very forward thinking when it comes to LBGTQ rights. My parents, for example, are very Christian and they are very anti LGBTQ. They were brought up in a different time to then, a time when homophobia was still rampant in society, even if it was legalised at the time. Yet I was brought up in today’s society, where we learn about homosexuality at school, where we meet people who are openly gay in our classes and who by and large are very accepted in our society.

Question for people: do you think Islamic countries, in the years to come, will become much more accepting of LGBTQ rights and will they ever reach a point in the future, where like the Western world, homosexuality is accepted?

My grandmother, who was born in the 1920s, had no problem with the member of my family who is gay. I think the whole generational thing is just an excuse for the ones we love who happen to be bigoted. It all just comes down to whether you're an ar**hole or not.
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending