The Student Room Group

Struggling with my A level options

At the moment, I’m signed up to start A level English Literature, History, Politics and a Criminology BTech at college. Straight away I know that taking 4 a levels is a big workload and it isn’t ideal for me but I do want to get into a good uni and I know they generally require two facilitating subjects - I love history, but I don’t really enjoy English Literature, however it is by far my best grade and I am really strong in it. My college is pushing me to drop one of the ‘softer’ after I sample them, and then change the other one to something more academic, but they’re the ones I’m really looking forward to, both more than English. Ideally I would do 3 and an EPQ to do with history (which I was really excited about) but I know I need to keep both history and English to get into a uni my college would class as ‘good’..that means dropping one of my more enjoyable subjects, and I know I will end up being pushed to drop one after a few weeks, for sure. I guess I’m just a bit conflicted and stressed, and wanted to hear what other people would do in my situation - if only universities didn’t class some subjects as facilitating! Thanks :smile:
A btech is a lot of work it's not equivalent to just one alevel usually 2. I would drop it because you are really out doing yourself with all the work. If you are interested in criminology as a degree you would usually need a psychology a level. On the other hand for example if you decided to pick history as a degree some universities allow you to mix it so it would be history with criminology but to find out you'd need to look into university brochures and see what's on offer.
Reply 2
Original post by physicsamor
A btech is a lot of work it's not equivalent to just one alevel usually 2. I would drop it because you are really out doing yourself with all the work. If you are interested in criminology as a degree you would usually need a psychology a level. On the other hand for example if you decided to pick history as a degree some universities allow you to mix it so it would be history with criminology but to find out you'd need to look into university brochures and see what's on offer.

hi, thanks for your help! I actually made a mistake, the criminology course is a ‘WJEC Eduqas’ level 3 course, not a BTech, and is equivalent to one a level :smile:
Original post by veraleo
hi, thanks for your help! I actually made a mistake, the criminology course is a ‘WJEC Eduqas’ level 3 course, not a BTech, and is equivalent to one a level :smile:

Also depending on where you go, not all universities may except that qualification. It's worth looking at potential degrees you are interested in and seeing what is required.

Quick Reply

Latest