The Student Room Group

How do students afford to rent?

I have a part-time job and still couldn’t afford to rent and live alone. How do students afford it?
Many receive financial assistance from parents; either as a monthly allowance or parents paying rent directly to the uni/landlord/agency.
Others rent a room in a houseshare.
Paying the rental accommodation costs from a combination of their maintenance loan, part time income, savings and overdrafts or credit.
I live alone in London, am working four jobs and live on under £30 a week after rent&bills are paid.
Original post by username5313232
I have a part-time job and still couldn’t afford to rent and live alone. How do students afford it?

Most don't live alone......
I live with other people so it reduces the cost

Hey!

With the help of a student loan and a house share!
My house in second year was £450 a month with bills included and I used my loan to cover this, I then live off the remainder of my loan and the money from my job.
Some people also have help from their parents to help fund this.

Eloise - Official Student Rep :smile:

Hi,

I would say the majority of uni students live with friends in a house which can definitely reduce the cost. It also helps to work alongside uni to have some extra money. Some will also save money during the summer. If you get less than the full maintenance loan due to your household income most people often will have their parents supporting them too.

Hope this gives you a rough idea! 😊
From,

Amina - Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending