The Student Room Group

Should young people be freed form lockdown and social distancing rules?

Scroll to see replies

I heard on the news that young people who are asymptomatic are still getting lung damage from covid.
Young people can be carriers as @Stiff Little Fingers pointed out.

Besides, institutional ageism is not a good idea and would go against the Equality Act 2010.
Original post by ryanwhitt443
Some people suffer more than others.

It's not a competition. We've all got crosses to bear. The more we all behave, the better off we'll all be.

Stop making this about you.
Original post by LiberOfLondon
Young people can be carriers as @Stiff Little Fingers pointed out.

Besides, institutional ageism is not a good idea and would go against the Equality Act 2010.

In theory though we already do that with the over 70s
In theory though we already do that with the over 70s

They've been recommended to stay at home. Over 70's cannot be fined for disobeying a recommendation to stay at home. They can be fined for disobeying the laws, but the laws do not specifically apply to over 70's.
Reply 45
Some people suffer more than others. BBC News - Coronavirus social-contact curbs 'put adolescents at risk'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53022369

Dude, I have suffered immensely with mental health problems in my 38 years on this Earth. I have BPD and have had many years of suicidal thoughts and the last few years have worked crazy hard with therapy and **** on getting myself to an ok place. For it to all be undone by ****ing lockdown. I now am back to regularly having suicidal thoughts and not really being able to cope. I have no freedom to escape when I really need to (I live in Wales where the 5 mile rule applies, but I'm in the countryside, where there's not even a supermarket within 5 miles, never mind anyone I know). Believe me, I KNOW HOW HARD IT IS for those with mental health illnesses. I am one of those ones suffering. Badly.

I've had 2 friends commit suicide in the last 3 months and one who went AWOL for a period of time after posting about not wanting to be here any more. All 3 were older than me.

But letting the portion of society who mostly don't give a **** about this virus (they're the invincible selfish ones who don't die from it, so why the **** should they???🙄), out into the wild again, is just going to prolong this whole crappy new normal.
We are the least likely to even have any symptoms, asymptomatic transmission is lower, perhaps significantly, thatn symptomatic transmission, and mental health needs are probably a greater threat than physical ones, eg, rise in suicide etc. I believe therefore that those least at risk of getting the virus, eg, under 25s, should not be required to follow any rules. I know this may sound selfish, but psycologists have already pointed out in the Lancet that these years are crucial to young people's development and social deprivation could increase.

Random suggestion, but you can do things like meeting up with a friend 'through the letter box' ie. you sit on either side of the door and you prop the letter box open with something. As long as your not directly talking into/ facing the letter box you should be OK.
NB. This is at your own risk.
(edited 3 years ago)
A definite no on that one.
We are the least likely to even have any symptoms, asymptomatic transmission is lower, perhaps significantly, thatn symptomatic transmission, and mental health needs are probably a greater threat than physical ones, eg, rise in suicide etc. I believe therefore that those least at risk of getting the virus, eg, under 25s, should not be required to follow any rules. I know this may sound selfish, but psycologists have already pointed out in the Lancet that these years are crucial to young people's development and social deprivation could increase.

you are arguing ethics so wrongly lol. how is zoom and videocalls w friends social deprivation? there is no sure evidence that asymptomatic patients spread it less. younger people like teens only are better off as they have a better immune system. i get the rise in suicides and I would love to stop it too but is there really? its not that much like 1% increase or smthn. you are being kinda selfish because if people get corona they can spread it and ethics wise its not fair because shouldn't we all have the ability to have fun and be free? younger people can still get the virus, what the WHO is saying is actually crap and I know this because I have learnt about it. mental health isn't that much of a problem and even if it is a compromise needs to be made
Original post by ashpritgcse2020
you are arguing ethics so wrongly lol. how is zoom and videocalls w friends social deprivation? there is no sure evidence that asymptomatic patients spread it less. younger people like teens only are better off as they have a better immune system. i get the rise in suicides and I would love to stop it too but is there really? its not that much like 1% increase or smthn. you are being kinda selfish because if people get corona they can spread it and ethics wise its not fair because shouldn't we all have the ability to have fun and be free? younger people can still get the virus, what the WHO is saying is actually crap and I know this because I have learnt about it. mental health isn't that much of a problem and even if it is a compromise needs to be made

"isn't that much of a problem" are you serious, you clearly don't suffer with mental health issues. And read the article I sent from the Lancet, a respected medical journal.
No, obviously. Some young people (like me) have high-risk people at home.
"isn't that much of a problem" are you serious, you clearly don't suffer with mental health issues. And read the article I sent from the Lancet, a respected medical journal.

You assume that all people with mental illnesses are finding the lockdown difficult.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by glassalice
You assume that all people with mental health issues are finding the lockdown difficult.

I mean if they don't have mental health issues they will have worsened or developed them from this.

I struggled with spending most of my time in my room before lockdown. Imagine what its like for me spending close to 24 hours a day in it. It's prison.
I mean if they don't have mental health issues they will have worsened or developed them from this.

I struggled with spending most of my time in my room before lockdown. Imagine what its like for me spending close to 24 hours a day in it. It's prison.

Theres nothing to stop you going out for a walk. See my earlier suggestion. Take a bit of control back.

As your not at high risk from COVID-19 consider doing some volentering, for example there are plenty of food banks that are literally working overtime trying to cope with the increase in demand.
People do get 'situational depression' from difficult situations, and it does get better.

dude this sounds really ****ed but everyone is doing it so u gotta deal w it. everyone doesn't like it but it doesn't mean u can go outside. how do you know that your gonna be asymptomatic? asymptomatic can become symptomatic like hiv (although they work in diff ways but still(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending