The Student Room Group

upset and confused about results.

Right Gcse's were not meant to turn out like this for me. i was meant to get a few A's and B's and like a few C's. after i did my exams i felt confident of coming out with a few A's. I was shocked when i didnt. I got A's in those subjects in my mock and i was predicted them now. on all my coursework i got an A* in all. and now i get a B in them all. i dont get it. music i was meant to get an A and i got a B my teacher is going to sort that out by calling them back. BusCom i was meant to get an A and i got a B. MAths i was meant to get an A and i got a B English i was meant to get an A and i got a B. Geography i was meant to get an A and i got a C.

seriously tell me where im going wrong. i still think im dreaming and im gonna wake up and someone is going to hand me my real results.

my parents are like not happy taken away all my privilages etc. i literally spent yeasterday crying and went sleep early. i was prediccted those A's and i felt like i did better enough in my exams to get them. ANd on my mock i got them so why now do i not have them?

its so fustrating having to explain to everyone that yes i failed myself and i got a b's and a few c's when there was meant to be some A's involved... and now my college wont take me without those A's. I didnt feel nervous on results day because i knew what my results were i thought.
i dont so many exam papers and got an A in them all (in the subjects mentioned above) and made sure i was well ready.

just some advice please would help. tell me where i went wrong.

Scroll to see replies

Grade boundaries could've changed etc. B's are really good, though! You could have some remarked if you were a couple of UMS points away from the next grade. Don't worry about it. :smile:
Reply 2
Aww you poor thing! -Hugs-
TBH all Bs is GOOD. You're being influenced by the TSR which represents all the clever people :/. But if you think you were unfairly marked, then send for a remark. Or redo it in January?

xxx
Reply 3
There is nothing wrong with getting B's! I got a B in Music GCSE and I've passed a degree in it and am training to teach it! Nothing wrong with those grades at all!
I think you over-estimated your grades. Though if you were predicted top grades, you should of got them. Although, the only solution is to retake your GCSEs if you are not happy about them, or ask them for it to be remarked. Anyway, B's are still good grades; and think about it, it could of been worse, you could of got D's.
Reply 5
Your parents should be happy with the results you got, if not, go live with someone else, you don't need pushy arrogant parents. I know you might have high standards of yourself but sometimes the actual paper compared to the mock might be alot harder. You'll have to rethink your plans now obviously but don't get too disheartened - you tried your best and you felt confident but unfortunately didn't get the results you deserved. Good luck, don't be sad, look to the future :smile:
GCSE results aren't the be all and end all, although I'm sure that's how it feels right now. You've still got options! You could get remarks or you could retake some GCSE's while at college? I think it's a bit harsh that the college won't let you in when you've done so well! Don't worry it will all work out :smile:
Reply 7
Try telling my parents B's are good. My dad shouted down the phone my mum blames herself for not pushing me enough and my brothers got mainly A*'s so i have to live up to them.

i think what bothers my the most is that i cant go to my chosen college becuase of the results. Y'day another of the colleges i applied for rang up and asked how results went, i was upset and said i didnt get my predicted grades but thank you very much.

its worse when everyone expects you to be the best at everything and get A's in them all i knew iwasnt but i was expecting a few A's to be honest. especially in the subjects im taking.

Seeing my parents so disappointed was the worst, all they keep on saying is how i slacked and have ruined my future now.

i still think this is all a dream and im going to wake up and my mums going to tell me t o pick up the results and im going to open them and they are going to be what i expected.
This could have happened to anyone, seriously. You never know if something is going to go wrong on the day and it will all get turned upside down. You'll find that in time you'll accept your grades and realise that
a) they are good grades
b) they really don't matter that much
I don't know what you were planning to do, what course or what university but for most courses and universities GCSE's are just one in several deciders, you have impressive and solid results so you won't be disadvantaged by your results at all.
If you got Cs in maths and english I would say re-sit them, but you didn't so thats fine.
You could always try re-marks or re-sitting but I promise you this will pass and its all about the attitude you have now, if you want to get good AS results then put your head down and do it, if you want good work experience then go find some.
You'll find other people that get higher GCSEs get complacent and don't put the work in elsewhere. If you complete your package (i.e. with work experience, AS levels, personal statement etc....) then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be in the running along with everyone else.
Reply 9
my college was impressed with my predicted grades which were A's and now i have B's they dont want to know me, so i have a week to find a college that will except me AND MY PARENTS have to like the college as well.
A B is not bad!
It's a solid pass!
I was happy to get Cs in the sciences, I worked my a** off to pass them, I'm terrible at science :s

Your parents are really unfair. You did the best you could right? That's all you can do at the end of the day.
You got the results you need to get into college- work hard at your AS levels.
GCSE grades aren't THAT important, as long as you get 5 A*-Cs including english and maths.
No one really asks about the grades, A levels matter more.
Reply 11
cuddles x
my parents are like not happy taken away all my privilages etc.

What the ****? Your parents are out of line and need to get over themselves and realise you worked hard for those grades.

Grade boundaries are tricky bastards, and it could be that other people did really well all over the country so the boundaries had to be changed - so whilst you were on track for an A, extra people getting A's meant that the boundaries were changed, therefore lowering your grade to a B.

I think you've done well; but I understand that you've let yourself down. It must be driving you insane right now. *hugs gently* I'm here if you need to talk. There's nothing like self-imposed and family-imposed pressure to get you really low.
Reply 12
swingin_yoyo
This could have happened to anyone, seriously. You never know if something is going to go wrong on the day and it will all get turned upside down. You'll find that in time you'll accept your grades and realise that
a) they are good grades
b) they really don't matter that much
I don't know what you were planning to do, what course or what university but for most courses and universities GCSE's are just one in several deciders, you have impressive and solid results so you won't be disadvantaged by your results at all.
If you got Cs in maths and english I would say re-sit them, but you didn't so thats fine.
You could always try re-marks or re-sitting but I promise you this will pass and its all about the attitude you have now, if you want to get good AS results then put your head down and do it, if you want good work experience then go find some.
You'll find other people that get higher GCSEs get complacent and don't put the work in elsewhere. If you complete your package (i.e. with work experience, AS levels, personal statement etc....) then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be in the running along with everyone else.

but its like its a chain .. my brother got all A's and went to cambridge and done well has a good job. my other brother got A*'s and went to UCL and done well and has a good job. And to my parents its like ive mucked up the grand plan.

And in all the comotion and drama yesterday i didnt even get congratulated on the B's i got in the subjects i struggled with like Statistics and Science i was so happy to get a B in them but with everything else no one even noticed the godd bits.

i just want to go to college do well and then get in to a v.good uni and live my life.
Reply 13
Hey I thought I'd get at least 2A*'s all A's and maybe a B
it didnt work like that...

But now I've got so much determination to do well at A Level to prove everyone wrong.

I know B's dont sound very good on here, trust me I know, but in the real world they are pretty good.

Just focus on the A-Levels and you will be fine.
Reply 14
katkit
What the ****? Your parents are out of line and need to get over themselves and realise you worked hard for those grades.

Grade boundaries are tricky bastards, and it could be that other people did really well all over the country so the boundaries had to be changed - so whilst you were on track for an A, extra people getting A's meant that the boundaries were changed, therefore lowering your grade to a B.

I think you've done well; but I understand that you've let yourself down. It must be driving you insane right now. *hugs gently* I'm here if you need to talk. There's nothing like self-imposed and family-imposed pressure to get you really low.

thanks x i was meant to go to a party today and im not allowed i was meant to get a haircut and im not allowed and i was meant to get a new phone and im not allowed. i feel sorry for my yunger sister there really hard on her beccause 'they dont want her turning out like me' she cant do anything either.
Reply 15
cuddles x
but its like its a chain .. my brother got all A's and went to cambridge and done well has a good job. my other brother got A*'s and went to UCL and done well and has a good job. And to my parents its like ive mucked up the grand plan.

And in all the comotion and drama yesterday i didnt even get congratulated on the B's i got in the subjects i struggled with like Statistics and Science i was so happy to get a B in them but with everything else no one even noticed the godd bits.

i just want to go to college do well and then get in to a v.good uni and live my life.

All I can say is that I'm relieved that in two years time you can **** off to University and leave your parents' snobbery behind.

You deserve more support than they're giving you. If you work hard at AS and A2 Levels, you'll be able to get yourself into one of the top 10 universities, work for your degree and then come out of it feeling you've done everything you ever could.
Reply 16
cuddles x
thanks x i was meant to go to a party today and im not allowed i was meant to get a haircut and im not allowed and i was meant to get a new phone and im not allowed. i feel sorry for my yunger sister there really hard on her beccause 'they dont want her turning out like me' she cant do anything either.

Oh FFS. Give me your phone number. I'll make them cry.
Reply 17
aww you poor thing! :hugs:
why wont your chosen college let you in? did they require As in the subjects you're taking?
why are your parents being like that? they should be proud of you. you did your best! don't worry about them now, its over, finished. do you have another place at college sorted out? aww i know how it feels to screw up subjects you know in yourself you shouldnt have, and deserved better grades. :hugs: xxx
Well for a start, I really don't think its fair for your parents to take away your priveleges!!! That is so mean. They should be proud of you for whatever you get.

Im kinda the same, I was predicted about 8 As and 5 Bs, I ended up with 2 A*s, 2As and 9 Bs. So I got 2 A*s when I wasnt predicted them but I got waaaay more Bs instead of As than I should have. Why don't your college want to know you now?? Bs are good!
Reply 19
and my parents want me to re sit the exams while im at college. - should be fun.

and i'm doing 6as 5A levels at the same time.

Latest