The Student Room Group

Alevel choice help!!!! Chem bio and what else??

I’m still deciding what alevels to take at the moment I’m pretty set on chemistry and biology but I still am trying to decide between rs and English language I just want an easy one to go long side the two sciences and I am expected 8 in both. In my future I want to do medicine/ marine biology/ genetics haven’t decided yet but I know I need chem and bio for both. I am also not amazing at maths I am expected a 6/7 in it so will chem be too hard??
Reply 1
To the first part of your question, most unis seem to be only fussed on two Science A-levels max for going into those types of degrees, so whichever you seem to prefer more over RS and English Language is your choice. Both are similar in the sense that you are doing quite a bit of analysing. It might be worth looking up videos on Youtube because lots of people go into depth about the courses on there so you can see which you'd perhaps feel easier.

Chemistry maths is difficult and is a big change but if you are prepared to dig in, really revise and get the maths down then you should be ok. I got a 6 in maths and whilst taking Chemistry I did struggle with the maths but if you get basic formulas and learn how to apply them, that's a good step. Some people you could check out for this are UnJadedJade and Just a Diamond who got A* at A-Level. There's also videos of the maths at chemistry that you could always watch and begin to look into over the summer (although don't be disheartened if you struggle, as that's what teacher's are for).
Original post by bellawatson222
I’m still deciding what alevels to take at the moment I’m pretty set on chemistry and biology but I still am trying to decide between rs and English language I just want an easy one to go long side the two sciences and I am expected 8 in both. In my future I want to do medicine/ marine biology/ genetics haven’t decided yet but I know I need chem and bio for both. I am also not amazing at maths I am expected a 6/7 in it so will chem be too hard??

I got a 6 in gcse maths, then an A in A level maths. you should take maths. With some hard work you'll also get top grades
Original post by Trapator
To the first part of your question, most unis seem to be only fussed on two Science A-levels max for going into those types of degrees, so whichever you seem to prefer more over RS and English Language is your choice. Both are similar in the sense that you are doing quite a bit of analysing. It might be worth looking up videos on Youtube because lots of people go into depth about the courses on there so you can see which you'd perhaps feel easier.

Chemistry maths is difficult and is a big change but if you are prepared to dig in, really revise and get the maths down then you should be ok. I got a 6 in maths and whilst taking Chemistry I did struggle with the maths but if you get basic formulas and learn how to apply them, that's a good step. Some people you could check out for this are UnJadedJade and Just a Diamond who got A* at A-Level. There's also videos of the maths at chemistry that you could always watch and begin to look into over the summer (although don't be disheartened if you struggle, as that's what teacher's are for).

Thankyou so much
Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES
I got a 6 in gcse maths, then an A in A level maths. you should take maths. With some hard work you'll also get top grades

I don’t think I could do it along two science alevels im really not confident at all
Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES

Do you mind me asking how you did it, like specifics, I’ve chosen maths and I’m stressed so I’m trying to plan how I’m going to revise
If you're trying to do medicine it would be better to do English language in my opinion but it depends what kind of Uni you're trying to get into
Reply 7
best decision i ever made was picking psychology alongside chem and bio. for me it was the perfect balance in a subject. psychology was mildly scientific, but mostly essay based. bio was a mix of science and essay like (e.g learning long processes i think is like learning an essay) and chemistry is mostly scientific with maths too. i did really well because my subjects balanced well- not too much maths, not too many essays!

a subject like history, english, philosophy, psychology etc would suit well.

btw, i’m now a medicine student! don’t let people tell you that doctors only pick all of the sciences and maths- they do not
Original post by bzkldn
best decision i ever made was picking psychology alongside chem and bio. for me it was the perfect balance in a subject. psychology was mildly scientific, but mostly essay based. bio was a mix of science and essay like (e.g learning long processes i think is like learning an essay) and chemistry is mostly scientific with maths too. i did really well because my subjects balanced well- not too much maths, not too many essays!

a subject like history, english, philosophy, psychology etc would suit well.

btw, i’m now a medicine student! don’t let people tell you that doctors only pick all of the sciences and maths- they do not

thanks this was very helpful
Original post by SuperiorPotato
If you're trying to do medicine it would be better to do English language in my opinion but it depends what kind of Uni you're trying to get into

hopefully russell group
Here is some data on which subjects tend to get the most offers, if interested. Correlation not causation.

Of course you need to interpret it for you - no use in doing French if you wouldn't get an A in it!

Quick Reply

Latest