The Student Room Group

University of Plymouth A102 2021 entry

Welcome to the University of Plymouth A102 (BMBS Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery with Foundation (Year 0)) 2021 Entry Discussion.

Plymouth A102 2020 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6044346

For general information click: https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/bmbs-bachelor-of-medicine-bachelor-of-surgery-with-foundation-year-0

For entry requirements click: (see above)

Plymouth A100 / A102 2021 Offer Holders: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6924954

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I was just wondering how likely it for the uni to accept students with the btec applied science onto the course of medicine- foundation year
Original post by Maleeha9121
I was just wondering how likely it for the uni to accept students with the btec applied science onto the course of medicine- foundation year

You have the same chance as the other students who have a levels, the foundation course is there to include those with a BTEC and other qualifications thar are not just the standard route :smile:

I believe if you do a bit of a research into Plymouth university you’ll be able to find the entry statistics for the foundation year which might be helpful for you.
Original post by Maleeha9121

Hey there, that's a really good question!

I attend Leicester college which primarily offers BTEC L3 Extended Diplomas. Both of my friends were doing applied sciences (D*DD) and (DDM.) GCSE grades were at the bare minimum for both. Despite their academic profiles, they still got invited and had great interviews. Both were successful at getting a place at Plymouth for the foundation year and should be starting there this September.

I however did mine in health and social care and will be reapplying this year due to my interview being unsuccessful.

Hopefully this bolsters your confidence to apply for 2021 entry! 😁👍
(edited 3 years ago)
I am currently doing access to medicine while working in the NHS. I meet the GCSE requirements. I live in a deprived postcode as well. how is the interview process. also I am a mature student so are they accepting of that.
Original post by AntMaster

I attend Leicester college which primarily offers BTEC L3 Extended Diplomas. Both of my friends were doing applied sciences (D*DD) and (DDM.) GCSE grades were at the bare minimum for both. Despite their academic profiles, they still got invited and had great interviews. Both were successful at getting a place at Plymouth for the foundation year and should be starting there this September.

I however did mine in health and social care and will be reapplying this year due to my interview being unsuccessful.

Oh wow, thanks for sharing!!
That’s amazing. I also currently study Btec level 3 applied science , I’ve found it so hard finding people who do Btec & are applying to med with foundation year courses . It’s quite rare

I just wanted to ask some questions regarding applying to medicine with foundation year when doing btec. There's not a lot of information regarding this online and I just wanted to ask what's your experience been like ?
I'm a bit worried that because I do btec i wont be a competitive candidate, is that true?

Thank you!
Original post by prabhzeeee
I am currently doing access to medicine while working in the NHS. I meet the GCSE requirements. I live in a deprived postcode as well. how is the interview process. also I am a mature student so are they accepting of that.

You should check the entry requirements on the website.
https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/bmbs-bachelor-of-medicine-bachelor-of-surgery-with-foundation-year-0
Original post by jessicaoxxi
I just wanted to ask some questions regarding applying to medicine with foundation year when doing btec. There's not a lot of information regarding this online and I just wanted to ask what's your experience been like ?
I'm a bit worried that because I do btec i wont be a competitive candidate, is that true?

Thank you!

As you said, it's definitely rare to have someone do a BTEC and then go on to do medicine with/without a foundation year. It's usually because most Universities don't believe it conveys enough academic attitude and is a very atypical route compared to the usual A-level prerequisite - although most BTEC courses follow a similar pattern of PBL that more modern medical schools do and still cover a sufficient amount of the sciences.

From my own experience, I very narrowly lost an interview place at Bristol because they gave it to someone with A-levels as they thought them better suited to the course. However, both Leicester and Plymouth are very accommodating of a BTEC and make it clear that you are treated like any other competitive candidate as long as you meet/exceded the entry requirements.

To end on a bit of hope, I got one of the top interview scores at Plymouth last year (based on what was said in my feedback email) but I had gotten a "global no" due to not answering a question as a doctor should, a silly mistake. If that had not been the case then they told me I would've received an offer, so I should instead reapply in the next academic cycle. This just shows that its more than possible for us to do while still being as competitive as any other candidate!
As you said, it's definitely rare to have someone do a BTEC and then go on to do medicine with/without a foundation year. It's usually because most Universities don't believe it conveys enough academic attitude and is a very atypical route compared to the usual A-level prerequisite - although most BTEC courses follow a similar pattern of PBL that more modern medical schools do and still cover a sufficient amount of the sciences.

From my own experience, I very narrowly lost an interview place at Bristol because they gave it to someone with A-levels as they thought them better suited to the course. However, both Leicester and Plymouth are very accommodating of a BTEC and make it clear that you are treated like any other competitive candidate as long as you meet/exceded the entry requirements.

To end on a bit of hope, I got one of the top interview scores at Plymouth last year (based on what was said in my feedback email) but I had gotten a "global no" due to not answering a question as a doctor should, a silly mistake. If that had not been the case then they told me I would've received an offer, so I should instead reapply in the next academic cycle. This just shows that its more than possible for us to do while still being as competitive as any other candidate!

Thank you very much for the reply! I’m definitely applying to Leicester & Plymouth .
Original post by z2002
With the eligibility criteria in plymouth gateway medicine, do you have to have at least 4 to apply? and would that mean an instant rejection if you dont have that?

Hey does anyone know about this query?
I am re-sitting my A-levels this summer and received CCC. however, I read on the website criteria for a levels resit must be only two grades drop in their first sitting so BCC. however these were my CAGs. Can anyone help me if I am eligible or not? I mailed them however it been nearly a week I haven't had a response.:frown:
Original post by unicorn10
Hey does anyone know about this query?

You need to meet a minimum of 4 unless stated otherwise by the University Admissions otherwise you'll be put to the bottom if the list which means you run the risk of not getting an interview e.g. those who meet 4 or more criteria will have priority for an interview.
Original post by prabhzeeee

I'm a mature student also on an access to medicine course. We are definitely eligible and encouraged to apply. As long as you meet 4 of the 7 contextual markers, you have just as much chance as everyone else!

To everyone else, good luck!
around what time do they start interview process?
Original post by unicorn10
around what time do they start the interview process?

Based on last year, I think it took place between November until December as we found out our offers early-to-mid January.
is there anyone here who received an interview invite despite not meeting the 4 contextual criteria?
Based on last year, I think it took place between November until December as we found out our offers early-to-mid January.

Do you remember when interview invites were sent out?
Original post by SorryMedic
Do you remember when interview invites were sent out?

Mid November.
Original post by Mckailer
Mid November.

Thank you. Have you applied as well?

Latest

Trending

Trending