The Student Room Group

Could the UK make it's own union?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LaPregunta
I know this story already. I appreciate your attempt, but you have failed to educate me: the story is much longer than your explanation.

I'm confused. Is this a test or something?
Original post by Daveological
I'm confused. Is this a test or something?

No. I thought there may be somethin I do not know about The Chagos Archipelago. I do not see this as a "handing back" and I wonder if that's for a lack of knowledge.
No. I thought there may be somethin I do not know about The Chagos Archipelago. I do not see this as a "handing back" and I wonder if that's for a lack of knowledge.

Well, it was part of Mauritius and if the UK ceases administration it will become part of Mauritius...
Well, it was part of Mauritius and if the UK ceases administration it will become part of Mauritius...

When was it a part of Mauritius? I might make this mistake in future so please correct me now.
When was it a part of Mauritius? I might make this mistake in future so please correct me now.

From 1810 to 1965, as part of British Mauritus:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Mauritius
British Mau

From 1810 to 1965, as part of British Mauritus:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Mauritius

British Mauritius? Exactly my point. They can not claim as theirs what they never owned.
British Mau

British Mauritius? Exactly my point. They can not claim as theirs what they never owned.

Sure they don't own it, but they have a valid claim to it considering a portion of their citizens called it home.
Sure they don't own it, but they have a valid claim to it considering a portion of their citizens called it home.

Goodness, I did not spell Mauritius... that is embarrassin. Her Majesty's government, or whomever finds it within their remit, will undoubtedly hand it over to Mauritius, just as they handed Northern Ireland to Ireland.
Goodness, I did not spell Mauritius... that is embarrassin. Her Majesty's government, or whomever finds it within their remit, will undoubtedly hand it over to Mauritius, just as they handed Northern Ireland to Ireland.

Nice word, 'whomever'.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Nice word, 'whomever'.

It's a word, but I failed to use it correctly. I spend too long writing messages so it's clear, that I forget about the parts that don't make sense because of it.
Reply 110
British Mau

Since when?
Original post by Napp
Since when?

What are you askin?
Reply 112
What are you askin?

Since when is the comment highlighted true... People regularly claiming stuff that isnt/wasnt theirs as their own.
Original post by Napp
Since when is the comment highlighted true... People regularly claiming stuff that isnt/wasnt theirs as their own.

That's exactly what Mauritius is doin with The Chagos Archipelago. What's your point? The bolded text is my view.
Reply 114
That's exactly what Mauritius is doin with The Chagos Archipelago. What's your point? The bolded text is my view.

My point was more directed at people physically claiming things as their own, i.e. pinching it.
I know, i highlighted it as that was the specific bit i was replying to.
Original post by Alessandro.C_27
I was just wondering if we could make our own union, now seeing that we are leaving the EU.

We could have the same rules as the EU, but ever so slightly better to encourage countries to join.

We could then have commonwealth countries out of europe to connect us worldwide such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand. And every member state can have a little union jack in the corner of its flag.

I think this would be a good compromise for both remainers and brexiters because we would be out of the eu but still in a union.

HQ could be in london of course.

Maybe the union could be called the "United Kingdom" and what we currently see as the UK can be changed to Great Britain? Because there isn't really much difference between UK and GB anyways?

Another idea I had was to merge the uk with neighbouring nations such as Scandinavian countries, Belgium, Netherlands etc... just to keep us on the leaderboards because I find it so depressing how by 2050 our gdp will drop to 10th place and counties like Brazil and Mexico will be overtaking us!!

A union between Canada, Australia, NZ and the UK.
CANZUK.
- Free movement
- Common Market.
- Political and Military alliance.
Why?:
- We have a shared head of state (Queen Elizabeth II)
- We have similar cultures.
- It would be mutually beneficial to all nations and CANZUK would be the third largest economy.
- We could compete with the EU, Russia and China.
Original post by Akash1234567
A union between Canada, Australia, NZ and the UK.
CANZUK.
- Free movement
- Common Market.
- Political and Military alliance.
Why?:
- We have a shared head of state (Queen Elizabeth II)
- We have similar cultures.
- It would be mutually beneficial to all nations and CANZUK would be the third largest economy.
- We could compete with the EU, Russia and China.

Oh my gosh. Here is another person, unless I'm mistaken, which I should like to be, who sees the Russian Federation as a threat. Compete with Russia in what ways? Constantly hit with vain sanctions, their trade and economy is poor.

NB The Prime Minister of New Zealand, Jacinda Arden, has entertained Republicanism. I imagine that very "woke" Prime Minister could do it and be applauded for the "modern" values.
Oh my gosh. Here is another person, unless I'm mistaken, which I should like to be, who sees the Russian Federation as a threat. Compete with Russia in what ways? Constantly hit with vain sanctions, their trade and economy is poor.

NB The Prime Minister of New Zealand, Jacinda Arden, has entertained Republicanism. I imagine that very "woke" Prime Minister could do it and be applauded for the "modern" values.

I am not entirely sure if you saw the World Economic Forum report which suggested that in 2024, Russia would have a larger economy than both France and Britain. Russia's resurgance as a military threat to our allies in the baltics and is investing heavily in Africa and attempting to compete with the UK, EU, China and the US.

With regards to NZ, Jacinda Arden has somewhat changed her mind on republicanism and is somewhat fond of the UK royal family.
There are also factors that have discouraged her to call a referendum on whether NZ should become a republic or not:
1) The NZ Flag referendum -> 56% of NZ voted to keep the current flag with the Union Jack on it.
2) NZ is 60% Ethnically English.
3) Australia 1999 Republic Referendum failing.
4) NZs armed forces purchase a considerable amount of equipment from the UK. E.g 2 Type 26 Frigates.
5) Jacinda Ardern is extremely keen to negotiate an FTA with the UK and wants the UK to join the CPTPP.

82% of New Zealanders support CANZUK too. (Source: CANZUK international).
NZ's Labour Party has not really discussed removing Queen Elizabeth II as head of state either for a considerable amount of time.
Original post by Akash1234567
I am not entirely sure if you saw the World Economic Forum report which suggested that in 2024, Russia would have a larger economy than both France and Britain. Russia's resurgance as a military threat to our allies in the baltics and is investing heavily in Africa and attempting to compete with the UK, EU, China and the US.

With regards to NZ, Jacinda Arden has somewhat changed her mind on republicanism and is somewhat fond of the UK royal family.
There are also factors that have discouraged her to call a referendum on whether NZ should become a republic or not:
1) The NZ Flag referendum -> 56% of NZ voted to keep the current flag with the Union Jack on it.
2) NZ is 60% Ethnically English.
3) Australia 1999 Republic Referendum failing.
4) NZs armed forces purchase a considerable amount of equipment from the UK. E.g 2 Type 26 Frigates.
5) Jacinda Ardern is extremely keen to negotiate an FTA with the UK and wants the UK to join the CPTPP.

82% of New Zealanders support CANZUK too. (Source: CANZUK international).
NZ's Labour Party has not really discussed removing Queen Elizabeth II as head of state either for a considerable amount of time.

I'm very interested in Russia, can you send the report?

I didn't know CANZUK was a real thing; you have taught me somethin. Do you think such a formation is likely to happen?
Does anyone else ever feel like just walking away from all this politics and making their own island nation that they can rule? I thought about being PM to keep my name in the history books and to of course improve so many things about this country but it just seems like a huge effort and it would basically take up my whole working life to reach it, meaning I would be like 50 before I became PM. Seems more productive for me to build my own island, fill it with scientists and fine a cure to ageing so I can live forever (side note I have another page up debating if we would ever live forever or at least reach immortality through stopping ageing)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending