The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Swansea University

Hey! I’ve been offered a place at Swansea University but haven’t gone to visit it yet and was just wondering how people find the nightlife, the campus and everything about it.
Thank you!
Original post by IssyMullan
Hey! I’ve been offered a place at Swansea University but haven’t gone to visit it yet and was just wondering how people find the nightlife, the campus and everything about it.
Thank you!

As a Swansea resident for all of my life ( I’m nearly 17) I can confidently say that it is an amazing place to live. The views from local beach cafes ( The secret) are outstanding and the activities on the beach are cool too. Bars and restaurants are highly rated by local people and prices are reasonable. The people are very friendly and the uni is a really good place to study. Eventhough it is not a Russel group university, it contributes to many leading research projects linked to cancer research and other universities. Hope this helps x
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Hi, I've just finished my studies at Swansea University. From my experience, Swansea is a great place to live. Most people are really friendly and inviting. The nightlife is pretty good (Wind Street is particularly infamous for that) and there are lots of amenities in the city centre. I lived in halls in my first year and would say that doing so will give you the best opportunity to make friends and really get to know the university well, as everything is a stone's throw away (very handy for those 9am lectures!). Swansea is full of students and as such, I always felt safe walking home during the early hours after a night out.

Both Campuses are good from what I have seen, can't really comment on Bay Campus as I was based in Singleton Campus. I really enjoyed the atmosphere there. The library was decent and open 24 hours for those late night, last minute deadlines and the student bar (JC's) was great for a morning coffee before lectures or indeed a well earned pint after lectures.

Swansea offers a plethora of societies too, I'm sure there's something for everyone. Uni is ultimately what you make it so, given the opportunity, I would recommend getting involved as much as you can (obviously work permitting!). From what I've found, the teaching (on the whole) is excellent and all my lectures were great to get on with.

The only drawback for me really was the lack of transport links. Obviously, this depends on where you live, but I hail from Manchester so I faced a dreaded, awful and extortionately priced five hour train ride home at the end of each semester. If you're based in the south, or nearby then this won't be much of an issue.

Anyway, that's a snapshot of my experience, hope this helps!
Swansea university has 2 campuses. The new one opened in 2015 and houses Maths, Computer Science, Sports Science, all forms of Engineering and the Business school. Everything else is on the older campus celebrating its centenary this year.bar Each campus has its own shop, bar, bank and gym. The main sports facilities are near Singleton Campus. There are regular buses linking both campuses and the city centre, Wind Street and the Rail and Bus Stations.

Swansea has direct train links with London and Manchester with connections at Cardiff for Nottingham and Portsmouth and at Bristol Parkway for the west and north of England.

It is the regional centre for South West Wales and has a population of approx 1/4 of a million.

In terms of shopping Swansea has most national stores including Primark, New Look, H&M, M&S, Next, Top Shop, River Island, Zara and Slater Menswear plus an indoor shopping centre with Debenhams, Boots and many others. Its indoor market was recently named the UKs best large Indoor Market .

In terms of entertainment it has a legendary nightclub street called Wind Street which has multiple bars, restaurants and clubs.
http://www.swanseaindoormarket.co.uk/
https://www.quadrantshopping.co.uk/
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=swansea+student+videos&&view=detail&mid=62C23EC2735FFCEEFB0D62C23EC2735FFCEEFB0D&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dswansea%2520student%2520videos%26qs%3Dn%26form%3DQBVR%26sp%3D-1%26ghc%3D1%26pq%3Dswansea%2520student%2520videos%26sc%3D0-22%26sk%3D%26cvid%3D88E6195CC47449A78A110FFA624198C0
Reply 4
Original post by Meganbw23
As a Swansea resident for all of my life ( I’m nearly 17) I can confidently say that it is an amazing place to live. The views from local beach cafes ( The secret) are outstanding and the activities on the beach are cool too. Bars and restaurants are highly rated by local people and prices are reasonable. The people are very friendly and the uni is a really good place to study. Eventhough it is not a Russel group university, it contributes to many leading research projects linked to cancer research and other universities. Hope this helps x

thank you so much! this makes me feel a lot more confident in going there!!
Reply 5
Original post by Cessna172172
Hi, I've just finished my studies at Swansea University. From my experience, Swansea is a great place to live. Most people are really friendly and inviting. The nightlife is pretty good (Wind Street is particularly infamous for that) and there are lots of amenities in the city centre. I lived in halls in my first year and would say that doing so will give you the best opportunity to make friends and really get to know the university well, as everything is a stone's throw away (very handy for those 9am lectures!). Swansea is full of students and as such, I always felt safe walking home during the early hours after a night out.

Both Campuses are good from what I have seen, can't really comment on Bay Campus as I was based in Singleton Campus. I really enjoyed the atmosphere there. The library was decent and open 24 hours for those late night, last minute deadlines and the student bar (JC's) was great for a morning coffee before lectures or indeed a well earned pint after lectures.

Swansea offers a plethora of societies too, I'm sure there's something for everyone. Uni is ultimately what you make it so, given the opportunity, I would recommend getting involved as much as you can (obviously work permitting!). From what I've found, the teaching (on the whole) is excellent and all my lectures were great to get on with.

The only drawback for me really was the lack of transport links. Obviously, this depends on where you live, but I hail from Manchester so I faced a dreaded, awful and extortionately priced five hour train ride home at the end of each semester. If you're based in the south, or nearby then this won't be much of an issue.

Anyway, that's a snapshot of my experience, hope this helps!

i’m from leeds so it’s great to hear another northerners perspective! thank you so much for the advice!!
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
Swansea university has 2 campuses. The new one opened in 2015 and houses Maths, Computer Science, Sports Science, all forms of Engineering and the Business school. Everything else is on the older campus celebrating its centenary this year.bar Each campus has its own shop, bar, bank and gym. The main sports facilities are near Singleton Campus. There are regular buses linking both campuses and the city centre, Wind Street and the Rail and Bus Stations.

Swansea has direct train links with London and Manchester with connections at Cardiff for Nottingham and Portsmouth and at Bristol Parkway for the west and north of England.

It is the regional centre for South West Wales and has a population of approx 1/4 of a million.

In terms of shopping Swansea has most national stores including Primark, New Look, H&M, M&S, Next, Top Shop, River Island, Zara and Slater Menswear plus an indoor shopping centre with Debenhams, Boots and many others. Its indoor market was recently named the UKs best large Indoor Market .

In terms of entertainment it has a legendary nightclub street called Wind Street which has multiple bars, restaurants and clubs.
http://www.swanseaindoormarket.co.uk/
https://www.quadrantshopping.co.uk/
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=swansea+student+videos&&view=detail&mid=62C23EC2735FFCEEFB0D62C23EC2735FFCEEFB0D&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dswansea%2520student%2520videos%26qs%3Dn%26form%3DQBVR%26sp%3D-1%26ghc%3D1%26pq%3Dswansea%2520student%2520videos%26sc%3D0-22%26sk%3D%26cvid%3D88E6195CC47449A78A110FFA624198C0

thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest