The Student Room Group

Too late for medicine?

I'm 20 and just finished working a 3 year lab job after leaving school - I loved science, but now realise that I'd rather work one on one with people as opposed to in a lab environment. I applied to study a Chemistry degree this year because I assumed Medicine was out of the question for me and thought I would do well with the skillset I have, but again my heart isn't in chemistry/lab work at all.

I left school with 8As in National 5 English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French, History and Music - 5 As in Higher English, Maths, History, French and Chemistry, and ABC in Advanced Higher English, Chemistry and Maths. I obviously assumed that my lack of Higher Biology would make it impossible for me to study medicine, but I don't know if I would be eligible if I were to study it at an evening college class? Upon emailing various admissions boards, most said no and some said potentially.

But I also feel like it's too late for me to start now. All of my friends have nearly finished their degrees, and I feel so left behind - they're going to start earning soon, and if I'm planning on changing degree then I'm looking at at least 5 years in university. If I were to focus my application for next year on Medicine, it would mean I would be unable to apply for other fields - further delaying any kind of progress, which I think I've already put off for too long. Although it does sound like my dream role, I have to be realistic with getting on with my life.

Should I look at another kind of field altogether? I considered allied health roles, but since they're so niche you have to really know what you're going in for - I wish I could get work experience to get an insight into different roles, but it's not possible at the moment with coronavirus.

I'd appreciate any advice. I feel like my head is all over the place at the moment.

I think that's so incredible - but the poster has the relationship, house and everything sorted already.

I'm currently still living at home and haven't had the chance to make any friends outside of school / work - if I don't get in then I'm holding myself back even more.

I think if I'm being realistic my best bet is to do the Chemistry course for a year, go get some work experience if possible, and apply to a course like Optometry/Physiotherapy, or Biomedical Sciences if I'm still keen after the experience - if it's possible to do it when I'm older, then I can do so. But right now I need to start living my life!
Reply 3
Original post by worried.2020
Although it does sound like my dream role, I have to be realistic with getting on with my life.

What does 'getting on with my life' even mean? If it means sacrificing what you want to do with your life to get onto the property ladder and to have kids etc. followed by turning into someone who may be bitter about having not pursued their 'dream role' then I don't think that is the right thing to do.

I started applying for medicine when I was 25/26 and only got in when I had turned 29. I had earned a degree at 21 and spent 5 years working within that industry where I was just plodding along and I had absolutely no motivation to improve myself as an employee within that industry. I had lots of free time for hobbies which was nice, but I felt really hollow that my day-to-day job was unfulfilling and that it didn't feel like the right fit for me.

It was at this time I went back to the drawing board and re-evaluated what I wanted out of a career, with medicine ticking practically all the boxes. I had a difficult challenge ahead of me as a 2.2 Arts grad to get into GEM but I had a renewed sense of purpose and a massive drive to pursue and achieve what I believe was the right thing for me to do.

One of the most rewarding things of this whole process for me, as I'm now in my final year of med school, is the amount of my friends from childhood/school/first degree are so supportive and sometimes even envious that I've managed to discover a new career that I am passionate about. Many of them would like to walk away from their jobs, but they feel as though they are now trapped with kids and mortgages and therefore unable to do so.

What I'm trying to say is don't let the peer pressure get to you and feel you ought to have X at Y age. Life isn't some race to tick all the boxes. I think it's very important to have a job/career/business that makes you feel satisfied day-to-day and in the long term, maybe that's medicine for you and maybe it isn't, but I wouldn't let this 'getting on with my life' business cloud your judgement.
Original post by Marathi
What does 'getting on with my life' even mean? If it means sacrificing what you want to do with your life to get onto the property ladder and to have kids etc. followed by turning into someone who may be bitter about having not pursued their 'dream role' then I don't think that is the right thing to do.

I started applying for medicine when I was 25/26 and only got in when I had turned 29. I had earned a degree at 21 and spent 5 years working within that industry where I was just plodding along and I had absolutely no motivation to improve myself as an employee within that industry. I had lots of free time for hobbies which was nice, but I felt really hollow that my day-to-day job was unfulfilling and that it didn't feel like the right fit for me.

It was at this time I went back to the drawing board and re-evaluated what I wanted out of a career, with medicine ticking practically all the boxes. I had a difficult challenge ahead of me as a 2.2 Arts grad to get into GEM but I had a renewed sense of purpose and a massive drive to pursue and achieve what I believe was the right thing for me to do.

One of the most rewarding things of this whole process for me, as I'm now in my final year of med school, is the amount of my friends from childhood/school/first degree are so supportive and sometimes even envious that I've managed to discover a new career that I am passionate about. Many of them would like to walk away from their jobs, but they feel as though they are now trapped with kids and mortgages and therefore unable to do so.

What I'm trying to say is don't let the peer pressure get to you and feel you ought to have X at Y age. Life isn't some race to tick all the boxes. I think it's very important to have a job/career/business that makes you feel satisfied day-to-day and in the long term, maybe that's medicine for you and maybe it isn't, but I wouldn't let this 'getting on with my life' business cloud your judgement.

I'm sorry - I didn't mean that to sound defeatist! It's more along the lines of the fact that I've spent three years working in a labouring job and out of full time education, which really has a horrible impact on your mental capacity. I've been trying to get back into studying and it's unbelievable how much you lose. I'm genuinely worried about being able to keep up with a normal degree, let alone Medicine.

Normally I would totally agree with you - I would love go be able to get some work experience right now to try to clear my head but this obviously isn't possible - but I think for the sake of my parents' mental health (they're really worried about me) and to keep my existing friendships intact, I need to make a proper step in a clear direction - I need to be realistic within the bounds of my current reality. I can't waste another year's university application.

I'm really glad it worked out for you, it sounds like quite a journey - but in a sense it was doing your BA that brought you to your goal, and that gave you the friends who supported you through this - plus all the other experiences you've had. I think you just have to do whatever you think is best for you given your current situation.
I left school with 8As in National 5 English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French, History and Music - 5 As in Higher English, Maths, History, French and Chemistry, and ABC in Advanced Higher English, Chemistry and Maths. I obviously assumed that my lack of Higher Biology would make it impossible for me to study medicine, but I don't know if I would be eligible if I were to study it at an evening college class? Upon emailing various admissions boards, most said no and some said potentially.

@Labrador99 may be able to recommend some classes for higher bio

Since you studied, National 5s + Highers + Advanced Highers, I'm assuming you are Scottish and want to study medicine in Scotland as the Scottish Government pays for uni fees so its essentially free for you

Looking at your SQA qualifications , the only off-putting thing about them in my point of view isn't just the lack of higher bio but the fact for your Advanced Highers it is ABC

I don't know what part of Scotland you are from or your dream med school but here are medical school requirements for all Scottish medical schools, Yes there's only 5 but you can only apply to 4 on UCAS with one other non-medicine choice

Dundee :
Higher - Chemistry and another science subject (from Biology, Physics, or Mathematics).
The other three Highers can be your own choice and this choice of subjects will not influence the assessment. We also require biology at least to grade A at National 5 and mathematics and English at least to grade B at National 5, if not studied at Higher.
Achievement at Standard Grade/National 5 will also be taken into account. Offers may be conditional, based on three Advanced Highers / 'crash' Highers taken in 6th year, at BBB grades.

Aberdeen:
Should our S5 minimum requirements of AAAAB in appropriate subjects be achieved then a typical offer would be Conditional with achievable S6 conditions being set.

If our S5 requirements are not met, a typical offer will be Conditional upon achieving a minimum of the grades below in three appropriate subjects in S6.
National 5 qualifications;
English and Maths are required (Grade B minimum);
Biology and Physics are recommended but not compulsory (Grade B minimum).
A combination of Grade A & B passes at Standard Grade / National 5 is expected, especially in science subjects.
Higher qualifications
Chemistry (Grade B minimum);
Two subjects are required from Biology/Human Biology, Maths, Physics.
Two further Highers in most other subjects applicants should check with the Medical Admissions office if clarification required.
These may be taken across the Senior Phase S4 to S6
There is no requirement, and therefore no advantage given, to obtaining the three sciences required in one sitting. Maths is regarded as a science.

Edinburgh:
SQA Highers: AAAAB by end of S5 and BB at Advanced Higher.
Highers: Chemistry and two of Biology, Mathematics or Physics. For some applicants this subject combination is not possible at S5. Students who meet the grade requirements in S5 but are missing one or more sciences may take the missing subject(s) in S6. Human Biology may replace Biology. National 5s: Biology, Chemistry, English and Mathematics at B. Offers are conditional on S6 performance.

St Andrews:
Standard entry grades: AAAAB in S5. Predicted to achieve at least BBB in Highers or Advanced Highers or a mix of Highers and Advanced Highers in S6.

Highers must include Chemistry and one of Biology (or Human Biology), Mathematics or Physics, to be taken at the same sitting. If not passed at Higher, applicants must also have National 5 grade B in Biology (or Human Biology), Mathematics, and English.

Glasgow:
AAAAA Higher at end of S5 + BBB Advanced Higher or AB Advanced Higher + B Higher in S6
Additional requirements: Highers Chemistry, Biology and Physics or Mathematics. National 5 English at Grade B.

Here is some virtual medical work experience by BSMS (Brighton and Sussex Medical School) https://bsmsoutreach.thinkific.com/courses/VWE and Observe GP https://www.rcgp.org.uk/training-exams/discover-general-practice/observe-gp.aspx , which are both free to take part right now

Do not compare yourself to other people - I did that a lot recently this year and it hurt me a lot cause I kept thinking I was not good enough or smart enough - the hard truth is there is always 'something better', 'someone better', 'someone smarter/prettier' but the best thing you can do is to keep constantly becoming a better version of yourself that you are happy and proud of :biggrin:
Original post by stereotypeasian
@Labrador99 may be able to recommend some classes for higher bio

Since you studied, National 5s + Highers + Advanced Highers, I'm assuming you are Scottish and want to study medicine in Scotland as the Scottish Government pays for uni fees so its essentially free for you

Looking at your SQA qualifications , the only off-putting thing about them in my point of view isn't just the lack of higher bio but the fact for your Advanced Highers it is ABC

I don't know what part of Scotland you are from or your dream med school but here are medical school requirements for all Scottish medical schools, Yes there's only 5 but you can only apply to 4 on UCAS with one other non-medicine choice

Dundee :
Higher - Chemistry and another science subject (from Biology, Physics, or Mathematics).
The other three Highers can be your own choice and this choice of subjects will not influence the assessment. We also require biology at least to grade A at National 5 and mathematics and English at least to grade B at National 5, if not studied at Higher.
Achievement at Standard Grade/National 5 will also be taken into account. Offers may be conditional, based on three Advanced Highers / 'crash' Highers taken in 6th year, at BBB grades.

Aberdeen:
Should our S5 minimum requirements of AAAAB in appropriate subjects be achieved then a typical offer would be Conditional with achievable S6 conditions being set.

If our S5 requirements are not met, a typical offer will be Conditional upon achieving a minimum of the grades below in three appropriate subjects in S6.
National 5 qualifications;
English and Maths are required (Grade B minimum);
Biology and Physics are recommended but not compulsory (Grade B minimum).
A combination of Grade A & B passes at Standard Grade / National 5 is expected, especially in science subjects.
Higher qualifications
Chemistry (Grade B minimum);
Two subjects are required from Biology/Human Biology, Maths, Physics.
Two further Highers in most other subjects applicants should check with the Medical Admissions office if clarification required.
These may be taken across the Senior Phase S4 to S6
There is no requirement, and therefore no advantage given, to obtaining the three sciences required in one sitting. Maths is regarded as a science.

Edinburgh:
SQA Highers: AAAAB by end of S5 and BB at Advanced Higher.
Highers: Chemistry and two of Biology, Mathematics or Physics. For some applicants this subject combination is not possible at S5. Students who meet the grade requirements in S5 but are missing one or more sciences may take the missing subject(s) in S6. Human Biology may replace Biology. National 5s: Biology, Chemistry, English and Mathematics at B. Offers are conditional on S6 performance.

St Andrews:
Standard entry grades: AAAAB in S5. Predicted to achieve at least BBB in Highers or Advanced Highers or a mix of Highers and Advanced Highers in S6.

Highers must include Chemistry and one of Biology (or Human Biology), Mathematics or Physics, to be taken at the same sitting. If not passed at Higher, applicants must also have National 5 grade B in Biology (or Human Biology), Mathematics, and English.

Glasgow:
AAAAA Higher at end of S5 + BBB Advanced Higher or AB Advanced Higher + B Higher in S6
Additional requirements: Highers Chemistry, Biology and Physics or Mathematics. National 5 English at Grade B.

Here is some virtual medical work experience by BSMS (Brighton and Sussex Medical School) https://bsmsoutreach.thinkific.com/courses/VWE and Observe GP https://www.rcgp.org.uk/training-exams/discover-general-practice/observe-gp.aspx , which are both free to take part right now

Do not compare yourself to other people - I did that a lot recently this year and it hurt me a lot cause I kept thinking I was not good enough or smart enough - the hard truth is there is always 'something better', 'someone better', 'someone smarter/prettier' but the best thing you can do is to keep constantly becoming a better version of yourself that you are happy and proud of :biggrin:

Hi,

Thank you so much for all the advice! It's just deciding whether to get my hopes up and apply (but potentially lose another year) or not get my hopes up at all.

Do you know what the situation is for the Scottish medical schools over applying during another degree - i.e. if I were to start Biomedical Science, Biochemistry, or an AHP course, would I be able to apply from first/second year?
Original post by Marathi

Hi Marathi!!!
I feel so relieved to hear this from you, you;ve given me a sense of hope 😩🙏🏽. I have just graduated with a 2:2 in BSc Biomedical Sciences. I was wondering if you could give us tips as to how you stood out as a GEM applicant. Also I was wondering where you applied, which Medical School did you apply and where did you end up going?
I'm 20 and just finished working a 3 year lab job after leaving school - I loved science, but now realise that I'd rather work one on one with people as opposed to in a lab environment. I applied to study a Chemistry degree this year because I assumed Medicine was out of the question for me and thought I would do well with the skillset I have, but again my heart isn't in chemistry/lab work at all.

But I also feel like it's too late for me to start now. All of my friends have nearly finished their degrees, and I feel so left behind - they're going to start earning soon, and if I'm planning on changing degree then I'm looking at at least 5 years in university. If I were to focus my application for next year on Medicine, it would mean I would be unable to apply for other fields - further delaying any kind of progress, which I think I've already put off for too long. Although it does sound like my dream role, I have to be realistic with getting on with my life.

Should I look at another kind of field altogether? I considered allied health roles, but since they're so niche you have to really know what you're going in for - I wish I could get work experience to get an insight into different roles, but it's not possible at the moment with coronavirus.

I'd appreciate any advice. I feel like my head is all over the place at the moment.

We really need to address this obsession with age in society............ Your 20 yrs old... How could it be too late for anything...

I went to uni at 27 just graduated at 30....am finishing my master at 31....

Guess what that means... I have 37 years left to work until the government says i can retire.

😂😂😂

Right now you have 48 years... Until you can retire....

Let's all chill out a bit.
20 is not old. I know of 30-40 y/o F1s... you can look at doing medicine or physician associate
Original post by Realitysreflexx
We really need to address this obsession with age in society............ Your 20 yrs old... How could it be too late for anything...

I went to uni at 27 just graduated at 30....am finishing my master at 31....

Guess what that means... I have 37 years left to work until the government says i can retire.

😂😂😂

Right now you have 48 years... Until you can retire....

Let's all chill out a bit.

My parents haven't got much money and I don't know if I can afford to take on all the student debt. I've also been out of full time education for three years - it's doubtful any universities would take me, never mind me keeping up with the course.
My parents are a lot older though and we don't have much money. I don't think I'm in a position to put them under financial strain.
I should have left my lab post earlier. It all kind of comes down to that.
Original post by carrots_24
Hi Marathi!!!
I feel so relieved to hear this from you, you;ve given me a sense of hope 😩🙏🏽. I have just graduated with a 2:2 in BSc Biomedical Sciences. I was wondering if you could give us tips as to how you stood out as a GEM applicant. Also I was wondering where you applied, which Medical School did you apply and where did you end up going?

I think work experience is the most important thing, lots of people you apply with will have a similar educational background (especially those who have done biomed like yourself), so having plenty of NHS work experience will give you a much better insight into healthcare/medicine, as well as a better understanding of what being a doctor is like, what other healthcare professionals do and how they work together, as well as how the NHS works in general. It also gives you lots of experiences that you can reflect on in your personal statement and interviews, alongside a lot of practical and clinical skills that you will continue to use throughout your career. It was really obvious in my first year between those who had significant NHS experience and those who had the bare minimum.

I applied to Swansea, Notts, SGUL, and Warwick. I'm now a final year at Warwick.
Original post by Marathi
I think work experience is the most important thing, lots of people you apply with will have a similar educational background (especially those who have done biomed like yourself), so having plenty of NHS work experience will give you a much better insight into healthcare/medicine, as well as a better understanding of what being a doctor is like, what other healthcare professionals do and how they work together, as well as how the NHS works in general. It also gives you lots of experiences that you can reflect on in your personal statement and interviews, alongside a lot of practical and clinical skills that you will continue to use throughout your career. It was really obvious in my first year between those who had significant NHS experience and those who had the bare minimum.

I applied to Swansea, Notts, SGUL, and Warwick. I'm now a final year at Warwick.

Thank you, there’s a lot of information that I’ll take on board.

If you’re studying at Warwick with a 2:2 does this mean you had a masters as well? As the entry requirements say that you can apply if have a 2:2 UG with masters.
Original post by stereotypeasian

This, 100% :smile:
My parents haven't got much money and I don't know if I can afford to take on all the student debt. I've also been out of full time education for three years - it's doubtful any universities would take me, never mind me keeping up with the course.

I took an 8 (forced, cared for mum till she passed) year gap between my US highschool diploma and needing to do a fast track A level programme in 9 month's...to qualify for UK undergrad, then went to U o Nottingham...and am doing my master at a highly ranked Dutch research Uni.... 😂 Don't sell yourself short. If i could make it, so can you.
Original post by carrots_24
Thank you, there’s a lot of information that I’ll take on board.

If you’re studying at Warwick with a 2:2 does this mean you had a masters as well? As the entry requirements say that you can apply if have a 2:2 UG with masters.

That's correct, same is true for Swansea and maybe even SGUL now.
Original post by Marathi
That's correct, same is true for Swansea and maybe even SGUL now.

Perfect thank you 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending