The Student Room Group

Do I need social media for university? 👀

Hi

I am going to university this September and I was wondering if I should get twitter and facebook since societies at university have their social media pages and in order to get involved I might need to follow them.

I don't really want to get social media, however if it is useful, I'd make accounts.

University students, what do you recommend? Help me, please. 🥰

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
seriously consider at the very least getting Facebook. I'd never used it before going to uni, and had had not intention of ever getting it, but like everything is posted on Facebook, Facebook messenger is really really useful for contacting people in your class when you realise you don't have their number and have a group project due the next day etc.
You don't have to like post on it or anything, but being able to check group/freshers pages is so helpful, like 3/4 of all the important info I need is on Facebook and the last 1/4 is via email
Reply 2
Original post by BrDy
seriously consider at the very least getting Facebook. I'd never used it before going to uni, and had had not intention of ever getting it, but like everything is posted on Facebook, Facebook messenger is really really useful for contacting people in your class when you realise you don't have their number and have a group project due the next day etc.
You don't have to like post on it or anything, but being able to check group/freshers pages is so helpful, like 3/4 of all the important info I need is on Facebook and the last 1/4 is via email

I will get it then. Should I go for a formal account then? Full name and all

Honestly why do people still use facebook? Sounds dead, not to be rude or anything lmao
Original post by Atlas!

Honestly why do people still use facebook? Sounds dead, not to be rude or anything lmao

Some groups require you to request access so using your full name, stating that you go to X university, etc is a good idea.

Facebook is still used for uni stuff because it's very convenient for providing information to specific groups of people in a way which ensures that everyone sees it, and that replies to it don't get lost easily. Twitter, Instagram, and messaging apps can't do that as well.
Reply 4
Original post by Helloworld_95
Some groups require you to request access so using your full name, stating that you go to X university, etc is a good idea.

Facebook is still used for uni stuff because it's very convenient for providing information to specific groups of people in a way which ensures that everyone sees it, and that replies to it don't get lost easily. Twitter, Instagram, and messaging apps can't do that as well.

Cool. So I should make a proper facebook account then?

I don't really like social media and it seems really weird how you need one at university.
Original post by Atlas!

People still use Facebook Messenger, but not bog standard Facebook
Reply 6
Original post by Mad_Dog_Graveson
People still use Facebook Messenger, but not bog standard Facebook

I promise I am not some 90 year old, but what is the difference?
Original post by Atlas!
Hi

I am going to university this September and I was wondering if I should get twitter and facebook since societies at university have their social media pages and in order to get involved I might need to follow them.

I don't really want to get social media, however if it is useful, I'd make accounts.

You don’t need Twitter.
Facebook would be useful, most societies and sports teams use it as the platform to organise events & disseminate club information. Also easy to organise pre drinks in group chats.

Instagram seems to be the most popular one but I don’t use it and get by just fine.
Original post by Atlas!
Cool. So I should make a proper facebook account then?

I don't really like social media and it seems really weird how you need one at university.

Yes.

You're not required to have one, it just makes your life much easier and fits in better with what everyone else does. Using toilet paper might not be the best option for what it does, but it's better than being the guy who requires all of his hosts to get leaves for him.
Original post by Atlas!
I promise I am not some 90 year old, but what is the difference?

Bog Standard Facebook is like a crap version of Twitter. While Facebook Messenger is a better WhatsApp. They are separate apps on phones, and can be separate on computers
Original post by Atlas!
Hi

I wouldn't see why you should be on social media simply because you're at university? Text messages may be old fashioned nowadays, but you could always get WhatsApp or merely use Messenger without Facebook, though you would still need an account.
Reply 11
is social media contact important to you?

i've had 4 years no social media and managed to have lots of friends and graduated. depends on your preference.
Reply 12
Original post by mnot
You don’t need Twitter.
Facebook would be useful, most societies and sports teams use it as the platform to organise events & disseminate club information. Also easy to organise pre drinks in group chats.

Instagram seems to be the most popular one but I don’t use it and get by just fine.

I will go make one now then. Facebook just seems so dreadful though. So blue and ugly. At least instagram is aesthetically more pleasing. 🥰 Thank you!
Reply 13
Original post by Helloworld_95
Yes.

You're not required to have one, it just makes your life much easier and fits in better with what everyone else does. Using toilet paper might not be the best option for what it does, but it's better than being the guy who requires all of his hosts to get leaves for him.

Thank you, that's one problem sorted. 🥰
Many people use social media at university but some do not and it’s totallly okay to not use it if you wish!

I would recommend downloading WhatsApp as this is a good messenger tool to use to connect with people.
Facebook is good also for this however you don’t have to go into too much detail with your account if you don’t want to- just use it for adding freinds and messenger app.

Twitter is more for short tweets and comments whilst looking and sharing things with others that you find interesting.

From a professional perspective (and good in placement years or final years) a LinkedIn account is encouraged as this can help as a ‘professional social media’ to connect you to potential employers and expand your network.

Instagram is mainly for photos and more of a share pictures and comment used a lot by artists or those who want to post things fast and get reactions (all over the world using lots of tags).

Whatever you decide, it’s totally okay!
Original post by Atlas!
I will go make one now then. Facebook just seems so dreadful though. So blue and ugly. At least instagram is aesthetically more pleasing. 🥰 Thank you!

Well you can just make a profile, put a display picture up. Then just use it for a communication & information tool and avoid all the crap it contains.

Nothing stopping you also using insta...
Reply 16
Original post by Joleee
is social media contact important to you?

i've had 4 years no social media and managed to have lots of friends and graduated. depends on your preference.

Not whatsoever, I like interacting with people in person or prefer calling them. Wouldn't consider social media unless for business to be honest. I just don't get what the fuss is about. Scrolling endlessly and liking...that sounds like hell. Though I want to join societies and get involved and build up my CV so I will just make these accounts and keep them for this purpose until I graduate. They won't be any different to having a linkedin account I guess.

Did you not have trouble getting info about events and trying to land a role on societies?
Reply 17
Original post by mnot
Well you can just make a profile, put a display picture up. Then just use it for a communication & information tool and avoid all the crap it contains.

Nothing stopping you also using insta...

Thank you. 🥰

That's very true.
Reply 18
Original post by ClaudiaVan
Many people use social media at university but some do not and it’s totallly okay to not use it if you wish!

I would recommend downloading WhatsApp as this is a good messenger tool to use to connect with people.
Facebook is good also for this however you don’t have to go into too much detail with your account if you don’t want to- just use it for adding freinds and messenger app.

Twitter is more for short tweets and comments whilst looking and sharing things with others that you find interesting.

From a professional perspective (and good in placement years or final years) a LinkedIn account is encouraged as this can help as a ‘professional social media’ to connect you to potential employers and expand your network.

Instagram is mainly for photos and more of a share pictures and comment used a lot by artists or those who want to post things fast and get reactions (all over the world using lots of tags).

Whatever you decide, it’s totally okay!

Thank you for this post! Yes, I have decided to make professional social media accounts now, I think that will be for the best. :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Atlas!
Not whatsoever, I like interacting with people in person or prefer calling them. Wouldn't consider social media unless for business to be honest. I just don't get what the fuss is about. Scrolling endlessly and liking...that sounds like hell. Though I want to join societies and get involved and build up my CV so I will just make these accounts and keep them for this purpose until I graduate. They won't be any different to having a linkedin account I guess.

Did you not have trouble getting info about events and trying to land a role on societies?

no, i had no trouble knowing about stuff cuz i talked to people in real life.:biggrin:. it's amazing what real life friends will do :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending