The Student Room Group

Swansea uni or Queen Mary for postgraduate

I have offers for MSc from Swansea Uni (Finance and Big Data analytics) & Queen Mary Uni (Corporate Finance). Obviously Queen Mary uni is far more prestigious but is it worth nearly double the fee (19.8K) of Swansea (10K). I can't really afford the Queen Mary fees, which offer should I take? thanks
Original post by AANN99
I have offers for MSc from Swansea Uni (Finance and Big Data analytics) & Queen Mary Uni (Corporate Finance). Obviously Queen Mary uni is far more prestigious but is it worth nearly double the fee (19.8K) of Swansea (10K). I can't really afford the Queen Mary fees, which offer should I take? thanks

If you cant afford the cost then go to Swansea. It isnt just the course cost the accommodation costs are massive in London. Being in London I suppose adds to being more prestigious but looking at the Complete University Guide actually Swansea is ranked higher 32-35. On the actual subject data Queen Mary is a few places higher.

You really need to ask yourself firstly whether you can afford London and is it worth it. How comfortable will you be there.

London is much bigger than Swansea and far less friendly and very impersonal. You really need to decide what is best for you.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
If you cant afford the cost then go to Swansea. It isnt just the course cost the accommodation costs are massive in London. Being in London I suppose adds to being more prestigious but looking at the Complete University Guide actually Swansea is ranked higher 32-35. On the actual subject data Queen Mary is a few places higher.

You really need to ask yourself firstly whether you can afford London and is it worth it. How comfortable will you be there.

London is much bigger than Swansea and far less friendly and very impersonal. You really need to decide what is best for you.

Thanks, good point about the rankings but Queen Mary is a Russell group so think it would look better on my CV. Also I did undergraduate at Swansea and absolutely loved the people, the course and the campus, but it's not a Russell group ☹️. Perhaps I should have been more clear, my parents could just about afford queen mary but I don't if it's worth double the price especially as you mentioned with the rankings
Apply for somewhere in between? All RGs are that expensive though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending