The Student Room Group

Changing university lightbulbs

After always wanting one, I finally bought a colour changing lightbulb. It only fits in a desk lamp, which I'll take to uni. However I was wondering if I buy one that fits into a light fitting, can I replace the lightbulbs provided by the university in favour of my own. It's only 5W btw so it's not like it uses a lot of energy.

Also, for those who know about lightbulbs:
I currently have a E27/ES (screw) fitting one.
Thinking about getting a B22/BC (bayonet) one.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Unlikely.
It's going to depend on the type of light fitting the uni uses... might be some institutional thing that doesn't have a replaceable bulb in it.
University lights are rarely simple bulbs, usually they are tubes behind those disc shades.
You shouldn't be tampering with electrical fittings anyway, rented accommodation need to have tests done on things like that. If you break the light or you start a fire you will be liable.
Reply 4
Yeah, having consulted with YouTube I've found a tour of one of the rooms I'd be staying in and they are the round lightshades. And I think it depends what your contract states as to whether you can change lightbulbs (more so in the student houses). Some contracts have you liable for replacing lights etc.
Oh well, at least I have my lamp.
Reply 5
candulb.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending