The Student Room Group

19 and homeless

Hi I need help really quick. im 19 and my parents have told me i have till tommorow morning to leave the house. I dont have anywhere to go. I have enough savings to get a train to london and and feed myself/ stay in a cheap hotel for 3 days but that would be my entire savings gone. I'm really scared of sleeping on the streets as I've had to do it before. can anyone please help by putting like a london council service number or point me in a direction to go. my head is hurting so much I cant think properly. please this serious:frown:(
Reply 1
Where do you live?

Why have your parents said this?

Don't come to London. the Councils are unlikely to help you, you don't pass the local connection test.
Reply 2
You should ring the number for Shelter.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help/helpline
Hi sorry Im not much help, look at other ppls response
Just some advice, you should take a few deep breaths and calm down and think straight.

Can u go to a friend's house? Aunt? Uncle?
I hope you'll be okay
Reply 4
you need to contact your local council for emergency housing.

www.gov.uk/homelessness-help-from-council
Can u borrow some money from Ur parents?
Reply 6
Original post by Kerzen
Where do you live?

Why have your parents said this?

Don't come to London. the Councils are unlikely to help you, you don't pass the local connection test.

thank you so much for replying I live just south of leeds in Kirklees. My parents have never really wanted me and openly spoken of their desire to get rid of me since I was child and some nights even doing this for a few hours. yesterday I got into a big arguement with them. I wanted to go to Uni sept 2019 after I completed my a levels but I was told I would get no financial support from them. this was going to be difficult as my dads wage is really high so I figured I was only going go to get under £4000 maintenance money if I went to uni in another city. so I took a gap year to try and save a bit and then go to uni and try and use every grant scholarship or anything possible to survive whilst there. the gap year started well. I got a Christmas job in retail but since January I've not been able to find a second retail job to do so I withdrew my uni applications again as I needed one more year to save to afford to live half comfortably. I know it's my fault wanting always to feel good and live comfortably when I could have taken a daring step and just left home last year and wished for the best. My parents are going crazy saying I'm useless and wasting my academic skills. they're panicking because eid is coming up and they dont want to take my embarrassment of self to their facist family homes. I dont hate the community I grew up with but I cant do this anymore so ive just accepted my parents demand to leave their home. honestly it's a relief after years of abuse and something I shouldve done as a child but knowing where to go and what to do and all the uncertainty is scary. I really just dont want to live on a random roadside.
Reply 7
I've just looked at the website for Kirklees Council - there is an out of hours number for Homelessness/Adult Social Care which is:

01484 414933

Ring that number now.

Any problems, ring Shelter on

0808 800 4444
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Let us know when you have spoken to the people on the Kirklees number and what they say.
Don't waste money by going to London. Contact your local council saying your parents have asked you to leave their house and that you are now homeless, or ring Shelter as suggested above. There are also some useful posts in this thread that you might find helpful.
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I need help really quick. im 19 and my parents have told me i have till tommorow morning to leave the house. I dont have anywhere to go. I have enough savings to get a train to london and and feed myself/ stay in a cheap hotel for 3 days but that would be my entire savings gone. I'm really scared of sleeping on the streets as I've had to do it before. can anyone please help by putting like a london council service number or point me in a direction to go. my head is hurting so much I cant think properly. please this serious:frown:(

What is the situation now?

Latest

Trending

Trending