The Student Room Group

Seeking some advice regarding family

I don't want to go into much detail about it but I eventually started therapy a few months ago after my GP advice it. She made me realise my upbringing wasn't normal. With help from the therapist I realised I need to cut of all contact with my family.

My therapist did say she normally don't recommend cutting of contact as she prefers to get people to try and do a list of things before people consider cutting of contact but during my many therapy sessions with her she realised I've tried all the things on my list and although she don't recommend it she knows that it's what I need to do for myself.

As I mentioned earlier I won't go into a lot of details but there was a lot of abuse involved in my family both domestic, cohesive and verbal, no other type of abuse. I was raised by a single parent and they passed away from covid-19 during the first wave.

Before I decided to make the decision, I stupidly did something and told them I got into university and what university I'm going into, it's a 13 minute drive from the area my siblings live in.

I'm a council tenant, I took over the property so I wouldn't become homeless. My family don't know I'm currently organising a move, it's just over an hour drive away and from university and just under a 2 hour public commute. The move has been approved and I've booked the moving van.

Recently, I've been thinking that when I move home and not tell anyone that my family would be waiting out the gates for me. It's probably stupid but I can't stop thinking about it. Is there anything I can do? I'm not sure what I'm asking but just seeking advice.
wow that's quite a story & i'm really sorry u went through that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending