The Student Room Group

i'm not allowed to date anyone

my parents won't let me date because they think i should focus and concentrate on my studies first. (which I agree with)
They said after uni I can date, but what if I find someone before uni ?
what do ya'll think?
- ngl, i kinda want to be in a relationship but at the same time, I want to focus on my studies. I'm only 14, and I,personally, feel that people shouldn't date until they are 16/17 because they are more mature at that age ( but that's my opinion). but what do you all think about what my parents said ??

Scroll to see replies

hi i think your really young and you should focus on ur education as if you be in a relationship with them you would eventually break your heart and you will feel really upset and so relationships at a young age last not long and so its important for you at the age of 14 to focus on education.Parents are always right and so you should listen to them on not having an romantic relationship now as you will regret not listening to them and you mind would have mixed emotions in like i should of listened to my parents. Put education first then after uni u could do anything u want and have loads of romantic relationships as you will have more freedom and no more education to rely on.

education is more important than love becauase love will ruin u and if you have it at age 14 u might get heartbroken and u will get hurt and so please listen to ur parents pleasee....

hope this helps any other questions i can help with.....
Reply 2
Original post by sarahhhxo
hi i think your really young and you should focus on ur education as if you be in a relationship with them you would eventually break your heart and you will feel really upset and so relationships at a young age last not long and so its important for you at the age of 14 to focus on education.Parents are always right and so you should listen to them on not having an romantic relationship now as you will regret not listening to them and you mind would have mixed emotions in like i should of listened to my parents. Put education first then after uni u could do anything u want and have loads of romantic relationships as you will have more freedom and no more education to rely on.

education is more important than love becauase love will ruin u and if you have it at age 14 u might get heartbroken and u will get hurt and so please listen to ur parents pleasee....

This is very good advice but what age would you recommend for someone to date? I would say 16
I can understand no dating before uni but not even in uni is a bit much.
Original post by Legomenon
I can understand no dating before uni but not even in uni is a bit much.

Lego men go to university? :confused:
Original post by blue900
This is very good advice but what age would you recommend for someone to date? I would say 16

urmm maybe 18 or above?
Original post by Synergy_

loool really never knew that imaginee that would be cool lmaoo
Reply 7
Original post by sarahhhxo

that did help !
I thought that just my parents thought that, and I thought they were over-exaggerating, but clearly not. Is that what you did too: focus on your studies and after, find a relationship xx
Reply 8
Original post by blue900

personally, I think 20-21 as people would have matured by then :smile:
Reply 9
Your parents are reasonable. 14 is too young. Wait until you’re at least 16, if not 17/18, when you can be more serious to a potential relationship.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
my parents won't let me date because they think i should focus and concentrate on my studies first. (which I agree with)
They said after uni I can date, but what if I find someone before uni ?
what do ya'll think?
- ngl, i kinda want to be in a relationship but at the same time, I want to focus on my studies. I'm only 14, and I,personally, feel that people shouldn't date until they are 16/17 because they are more mature at that age ( but that's my opinion). but what do you all think about what my parents said ??

I’d say, yeah, follow what your parents say and focus on the work. It sounds sensible. But if you end up moving in the direction of a relationship, don’t pass up the opportunity. This person makes you happy. Surely, that’s good enough for your parents for you to be happy. Just don’t go relationship hunting. I’m sure you’ll be fine.
You never date for whole days, there is no reason why wouldn't you date someone from time to time. Besides, this is exactly the right age to gain experience with people.

Psychologist told me that people need to have some time on chilling out (I was a pathological hard worker, spent time only on learing and beating myself if I couldn't learn something quickly enough).
One of my lecturers, a professor, told me openly, that instead of devoting myself so fanatically to learning, I should find myself a girlfriend, as; 'You need to have like 11 or more girlfriends before you find the right one'.
14 is too young imo. Dating in high school can be messy and it's just not worth it. No joke-the people who were focused on relationships and not their education all ended up having children from aged 14 onwards and I only know 1 who is still with the father. I get being curious but I feel like people are in such a rush to be adults or to feel grown up. Focus on your education because that is what will get you into uni (or not) and will help you get a good job etc. Having said that, if you do meet someone and like them etc, then there is also no harm in it? idk I feel like it depends on the person.
However, your parents have no right to tell you not to date after the age of 18 so you may want to put your foot down then. When you're 18 you're an adult and they can't stop you.
14 is too young imo. Dating in high school can be messy and it's just not worth it. No joke-the people who were focused on relationships and not their education all ended up having children from aged 14 onwards and I only know 1 who is still with the father. I get being curious but I feel like people are in such a rush to be adults or to feel grown up. Focus on your education because that is what will get you into uni (or not) and will help you get a good job etc. Having said that, if you do meet someone and like them etc, then there is also no harm in it? idk I feel like it depends on the person.
However, your parents have no right to tell you not to date after the age of 18 so you may want to put your foot down then. When you're 18 you're an adult and they can't stop you.

I was in High school when sixth form was still in schools and not colleges. One of my friends who planned to go on to do law decided that she wasn't going to- Her boyfriend (she was someone who was desperate for attention and portrayed the idea that no one loved her) was not going to go through sixth form and would be going to college instead. She went with him as she didn't want to lose him. She ended up doing level 3 cache childcare, was really really clingy with him-he dumped her after 4 years and she went with someone else a week later - never had a career in childcare but works part time somewhere. She now has 4 kids by 3 different fathers and has no plans to do anything career wise.
Your parents think they know what’s best for u but only u know, it’s up to u when u feel ready to date someone, they can’t tell u when u can or can’t date. But I do agree with putting your education first! Most relationships at a young age don’t last but it’s a good experience I suppose and u learn a lot from relationships. People at 16 aren’t always mature, it depends on the person someone who is 14 could be more mature than a 20 year old.
Reply 15
Let me put it this way, they cant practically stop you, especially if you sneak around :colone:... you do you bro.
Original post by Synergy_

Course, us blockheads need a good education
you're 14. i wasn't allowed to date either at that age, you're young
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by rxyaltyx
you're 24. i wasn't allowed to date either at that age, you're young

yh. I thought that my parents were too overprotective, but maybe not? :confused:
yh. I thought that my parents were too overprotective, but maybe not? :confused:

sorry thanks for correcting me
no, it's just parenting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending