The Student Room Group

Masters

In first year I only got 55% and I failed two modules quite badly, I was hoping second year would be better but I only got 64% this year because of two modules in which I got 48% and 50% but my other 3 modules were firsts and 1 was 67%. I wanted to do a masters in finance at LSE/Imperial/UCL but I think I’ve blown my chances. Would I have a shot at Msc accounting and finance or risk and finance at LSE which only require a 2.1 or do they mean a high 2.1?
Universities can be quite stingy with entry requirements, so unless they say that they’re willing to consider applicants with lower marks/degree classifications then you don’t really have a chance.

My tutor once told me (while I was applying for my masters programmes) that some universities won’t even consider applications that are below the required degree classification (e.g. 2:1).

If you end up with a 2:1, then it doesn’t really matter whether it’s “high” or “low” 2:1 so long as it’s a 2:1. Sometimes universities ask for a certain mark (e.g. conditional offer for a masters programme asks that you get minimum 65% degree average), which in that case you may need to worry.

Best to call the schools you’re interested in and check what their policies are for admissions and degree classification requirements (aka are they looking for a certain subset of 2:1 classifications or are all 2:1s welcome)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
If you meet the 2:1 requirement then it is worth a go. They will see your transcripts anyway as part of the process, so the 48%s might make a negative impact, but that's just how it goes

Bottom line is a 2:1 is a 2:1, and unless they state higher than 65, for exmple, then you at least have a chance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending