The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by twoplustwoisfour
It sounds like your son's case was very unique. But doubting a whole process is seemingly emotionally. If you as a parent don't believe in an institutions process, then perhaps he shouldn't go there. Whilst your child might be able to contend with the rigours of what studies at Cambridge might contend, it sounds like you might question every decision.

If you know better then perhaps your faith in the university is misplaced & there is better options out there.

Indeed, the doubt in the process is why we didn't pursue it. There are a few other equally good universities, with equally rigorous courses and we decided not to put excessive faith in infallibility or quality of any one particular institution. Things can and do go wrong everywhere. That is life. :-)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Timdad
Do you mean to say @Peterhouse Admissions that they made a fundamental mistake in making decision about my son in January? :-)

Anyway, it is done now. He is very happy to be where he is: not quite Oxbridge but very close, which will provide him the same life chances as Oxbridge, albeit without the label.

I think they made the fundamental mistake with the feedback going to the wrong student, not the original offer.

Although of course admissions mistakes can happen, rarely. And they do have an appeals process.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/admissions-complaints
Reply 202
Original post by Doones
I think they made the fundamental mistake with the feedback going to the wrong student, not the original offer.

Although of course admissions mistakes can happen, rarely. And they do have an appeals process.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/admissions-complaints

@Doones, thank you. We decided back in February, when we got the feedback, to not pursue it. With his track record, we were fairly confident of a place in another equally good university, and thankfully that has come to pass.

I must also mention that you have been another legend of the Cambridge threads. A rock-solid presence, always providing sage advice and guidance to anxious candidates and parents. A heartfelt thank you.
Original post by Timdad
@Doones, thank you. We decided back in February, when we got the feedback, to not pursue it. With his track record, we were fairly confident of a place in another equally good university, and thankfully that has come to pass.

I must also mention that you have been another legend of the Cambridge threads. A rock-solid presence, always providing sage advice and guidance to anxious candidates and parents. A heartfelt thank you.

Thank you, it's appreciated :smile:

I'm sure your son will have a brilliant time at the university lucky enough to have him.

PS. One of the actual Admissions Tutors at Cambridge was also rejected as an undergraduate 😉
So what does this actually mean from Prof Toope?

"The University and colleges are not able to accept all offer-holders for deferred entry..."

Does it mean not all now achieving their offer (because CAG is allowed) will either get a place this year or get a deferred place?

https://www.cam.ac.uk/coronavirus/news/statement-on-2020-a-level-results-and-cambridge-university-admissions
Original post by Doones

"The University and colleges are not able to accept all offer-holders for deferred entry..."

Does it mean not all now achieving their offer (because CAG is allowed) will either get a place this year or get a deferred place?

https://www.cam.ac.uk/coronavirus/news/statement-on-2020-a-level-results-and-cambridge-university-admissions

I think hope what he means is this: "If you have a confirmed unconditional offer of a place, please don't expect to be allowed to defer your entry to 2021. If we let everyone do that, next year's applicants wouldn't have any room left. (Especially as we already have to make space in 2021 for those whose appeals get decided too late, or who pass the autumn 2020 exams.)"

I hope he doesn't mean: "If we already agreed you could defer to 2021, well perhaps now you can't; it's just tough on you because of the numbers involved!" It could be read like that, but I don't think he meant that.
will those taking summer 2021 exams be considered as retakes?
can we still apply - what would the chances of getting in be?
Reply 207
Original post by Doones

I think it means they can't do as Worcester College Oxford did and accept everyone regardless of grades. So people who don't achieve their offers after appeal and any government changes won't all be given places for this year or deferred to next.

Original post by 学生の父
I think hope what he means is this: "If you have a confirmed unconditional offer of a place, please don't expect to be allowed to defer your entry to 2021. If we let everyone do that, next year's applicants wouldn't have any room left. (Especially as we already have to make space in 2021 for those whose appeals get decided too late, or who pass the autumn 2020 exams.)"

I hope he doesn't mean: "If we already agreed you could defer to 2021, well perhaps now you can't; it's just tough on you because of the numbers involved!" It could be read like that, but I don't think he meant that.
Original post by ellieman1
will those taking summer 2021 exams be considered as retakes?
can we still apply - what would the chances of getting in be?

If you are able to take autumn 2020 exams (i.e. you are entered with an Ofqual regulated board), then sitting the summer exams in the summer of 2021 would probably be considered a retake.

If however you are with a CCEA, Qualifications Wales or SQA regulated board (i.e. no exams available this autumn), you should check with your college to see if they would consider sitting next summer to be a resit, or if they'd consider you to be sitting at the first available opportunity.
Original post by 学生の父

I think it's worse than that. I think he's saying if we haven't already confirmed your place and despite your CAGs now meeting the offer, sorry but we have no room this year, and no we won't give you a deferred place next year either.

I also hope I'm wrong.
Original post by Doones

Original post by 学生の父

Original post by JHK101
I think it means they can't do as Worcester College Oxford did and accept everyone regardless of grades. So people who don't achieve their offers after appeal and any government changes won't all be given places for this year or deferred to next.

Original post by Doones
I think it's worse than that. I think he's saying if we haven't already confirmed your place and despite your CAGs now meeting the offer, sorry but we have no room this year, and no we won't give you a deferred place next year either.

I also hope I'm wrong.

Yikes, I hope so, too!

@Peterhouse Admissions, would you explain to us what the V-C means in his statement, please?

To wit,
"The University and colleges are not able to accept all offer-holders for deferred entry, as has been suggested by some commentators, because we must also think about the next generation of applicants who have also seen their educational experience disrupted by the pandemic and its consequences. We cannot simply take away hundreds of spaces from students who intend to apply to Cambridge in the next year or two."
Surely this is all clarified by this passage of the same announcement:

We have committed additionally, however, to admit any candidate whose A-level grading appeal is successful, meaning that they achieve the level required in their offer. (We hope that many students who might have appealed will not have to do so, as we will have already admitted them on a discretionary basis.) If any appeal is successful, and is decided before our spaces are completely full, we will offer that student a place for this year. If the appeal decision comes too late, but is successful, we will offer a place for next year. Likewise, if a student meets their offer following their taking examinations this autumn, their place will be confirmed for October 2021.
Original post by Theloniouss
Surely this is all clarified by this passage of the same announcement:

So why the big caveat?
Original post by Doones
So why the big caveat?

Is it a caveat? Not all offer-holders will successfully appeal or sit autumn exams. It seems more like a "We can't have that as our policy" than a "Some people who meet the offer won't get in".
Original post by Theloniouss
Is it a caveat? Not all offer-holders will successfully appeal or sit autumn exams. It seems more like a "We can't have that as our policy" than a "Some people who meet the offer won't get in".

I believe the timing is important here. It would appear to me that the VC statement was largely a response to the open letter from several thousand alumni, where they asked Cambridge to deal with the situation by extending offers to everyone who had originally been offered (conditionally). Cambridge have been consistent in stating that anyone who meets their required grades (now including CAGs as originally provided) would get in, albeit some may need to enter in 2021, rather than 2020. So if you have the required CAG to meet your original offer, then you are in. Just have to wait to hear if it is this year or next. People unfortunate enough not to meet their offer despite the U-turn on CAGs will not, unfortunately, be able to take a place and would need to either apply again next year or take their insurance if desirable. That's my reading of it at least.
Original post by 学生の父
Yikes, I hope so, too!

@Peterhouse Admissions, would you explain to us what the V-C means in his statement, please?

To wit,
"The University and colleges are not able to accept all offer-holders for deferred entry, as has been suggested by some commentators, because we must also think about the next generation of applicants who have also seen their educational experience disrupted by the pandemic and its consequences. We cannot simply take away hundreds of spaces from students who intend to apply to Cambridge in the next year or two."

As I understand it, it means we cannot admit everyone regardless of grades.

There are two reasons for this. One is, as given by the VC, space. This means space in accommodation (as a university where 99% of our undergraduates live in College-owned accommodation, this affects us more than others, including Oxford), lectures theatres, labs, the architecture studio, you name it. We also need to ensure that we are able to adequately support students academically and pastorally. We also have to think of the impacts this larger cohort has down the line - even if they all came in 2020 or were deferred to 2021, the pressure on rooms will not just be with us for this academic year, but for three or four years to come.

The other reason is that we want everyone who studies with us to do well. Every year, we have applicants who miss their conditional offer and go on to other excellent universities. Taking everyone, regardless of CAGs would mean admitting people we would not normally admit, on account of them missing their grades. There is a very real worry that these students may struggle if they were to come to us. (That's not to say all of them would struggle, or that everyone who gets their offer coasts through, but we have conditional offers for a reason). In particular, if we were to admit everyone in Maths, we would be taking twice as many students as usual. All offer holders have sat STEP this year (albeit in an online format rather than in person) and we were able to make decisions from that, something conveniently forgotten about in the discussions surrounding this topic. Were we to admit those students, not only would it put a huge pressure on the Maths course, but many of those students would find the course incredibly challenging and would be at risk of failing their first year exams. That would not be fair on them and as such would not be the right course of action to take.

I would agree that it probably also has the added meaning that not everyone will be permitted to defer should they wish to do so, but that has been our policy for several months now and, if Peterhouse is anything to go by, we have not seen anywhere near the volume of requests that was predicted.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions

There are two reasons for this. One is, as given by the VC, space. This means space in accommodation (as a university where 99% of our undergraduates live in College-owned accommodation, this affects us more than others, including Oxford), lectures theatres, labs, the architecture studio, you name it. We also need to ensure that we are able to adequately support students academically and pastorally. We also have to think of the impacts this larger cohort has down the line - even if they all came in 2020 or were deferred to 2021, the pressure on rooms will not just be with us for this academic year, but for three or four years to come.

The other reason is that we want everyone who studies with us to do well. Every year, we have applicants who miss their conditional offer and go on to other excellent universities. Taking everyone, regardless of CAGs would mean admitting people we would not normally admit, on account of them missing their grades. There is a very real worry that these students may struggle if they were to come to us. (That's not to say all of them would struggle, or that everyone who gets their offer coasts through, but we have conditional offers for a reason). In particular, if we were to admit everyone in Maths, we would be taking twice as many students as usual. All offer holders have sat STEP this year (albeit in an online format rather than in person) and we were able to make decisions from that, something conveniently forgotten about in the discussions surrounding this topic. Were we to admit those students, not only would it put a huge pressure on the Maths course, but many of those students would find the course incredibly challenging and would be at risk of failing their first year exams. That would not be fair on them and as such would not be the right course of action to take.

I would agree that it probably also has the added meaning that not everyone will be permitted to defer should they wish to do so, but that has been our policy for several months now and, if Peterhouse is anything to go by, we have not seen anywhere near the volume of requests that was predicted.

Thank you. Reading it in that way does make sense.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions

Thank you for your diligence @Peterhouse Admissions - are you able to give any guidance to those who now have their required offer grades as a result of yesterdays' announcement. Is your understanding that they have now met their offer conditions and will therefore be able to take up a place, even if it needs to be in 2021 rather than this year?
As a parent of a reapplicant - will Cambridge be publishing the approximate number of expected places on each course before the UCAS deadline for early applicants? We are worried that there will be a lot less places for 2021 applicants.
Original post by Rose1721
As a parent of a reapplicant - will Cambridge be publishing the approximate number of expected places on each course before the UCAS deadline for early applicants? We are worried that there will be a lot less places for 2021 applicants.

Whilst this information would be interesting a Cambridge application would only be 1 of 5 and applying post A level with 'Cambridge level' grades your son or daughter is likely to get unconditional offers from their other Unis. Therefore, even if the numbers are not available before October, reapplying to Cambridge is low risk.

Latest

Trending

Trending