The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

@Peterhouse Admissions I am a hopeful post-A2 applicant for the Mathematics course for October 2021 entry. I was wondering how you would consider Autumn exams with regards to post-A2 applicants, since we would have to have our applications in by October 15th? I have already achieved A*A*A*A, and I only need to get my fourth A* in Chemistry, which I am very much on track to do. I am regularly very successful in my STEP, and I think that my application is otherwise pretty strong, other than the A in Chemistry. How will I fare compared to someone who got A*A*A*A* in their CAGs, and is there anything else that I can do to strengthen my application or prepare for next year?
Original post by dking2001
Whilst this information would be interesting a Cambridge application would only be 1 of 5 and applying post A level with 'Cambridge level' grades your son or daughter is likely to get unconditional offers from their other Unis. Therefore, even if the numbers are not available before October, reapplying to Cambridge is low risk.

I agree, but I may want to compare the numbers with Oxford before making my choice.
The University has just released a new statement regarding this year's undergraduate admissions:

https://www.cam.ac.uk/coronavirus/news/statement-on-undergraduate-admissions-18-august-2020
Original post by ParentofChild
Thank you for your diligence @Peterhouse Admissions - are you able to give any guidance to those who now have their required offer grades as a result of yesterdays' announcement. Is your understanding that they have now met their offer conditions and will therefore be able to take up a place, even if it needs to be in 2021 rather than this year?

Hi there! That is my understanding, yes. Please see the University's statement for more information: https://www.cam.ac.uk/coronavirus/news/statement-on-undergraduate-admissions-18-august-2020.
Original post by Rose1721
I agree, but I may want to compare the numbers with Oxford before making my choice.

We'd really recommend that you make your decision on the basis of the course content and structure, rather than which university you think you're more likely to get into.
Original post by Timdad
Indeed, the doubt in the process is why we didn't pursue it. There are a few other equally good universities, with equally rigorous courses and we decided not to put excessive faith in infallibility or quality of any one particular institution. Things can and do go wrong everywhere. That is life. :-)

I wish your son every success. Not everyone will agree but it is the destination that matters. Have as much fun as possible on the journey but university is three years a career is lifelong, When we are 70 all we'll care about is our post university achievements, whether they be amazing partners, the joy of children, pursuits we've conquered or fulfilling careers we have enjoyed.
I would completely agree in a normal year, but if e.g. places are reduced by 50% and you don't have a strong preference on either it could help to make an informed decision.
I would completely agree in a normal year, but if e.g. places are reduced by 50% and you don't have a strong preference on either it could help to make an informed decision.

Numbers definitely won't be reduced by that much. Cambridge made about 4500 offers for 3500 places, so if all 1000 of the difference deferred to next year there would be 30% fewer places available. But:

-Some of the offers would have been rejected for other universities (unfortunately I don't think there are any numbers on this)
-Not everyone who received an offer achieved it even with the new system, in particular 100-200 maths applicants will have missed their offers for STEP (and not been accepted regardless) if things are similar to previous years
-The number of places available may be increased next year
-Applications from EU students will probably fall significantly next year since they will have to pay international fees
Original post by sweeneyrod
Numbers definitely won't be reduced by that much. Cambridge made about 4500 offers for 3500 places, so if all 1000 of the difference deferred to next year there would be 30% fewer places available. But:

Some of the offers would have been rejected for other universities (unfortunately I don't think there are any numbers on this)

Not everyone who received an offer achieved it even with the new system, in particular 100-200 maths applicants will have missed their offers for STEP (and not been accepted regardless) if things are similar to previous years

The number of places available may be increased next year

Applications from EU students will probably fall significantly next year since they will have to pay international fees

Add to Phrasebook

No word lists for English -> English...

Create a new word list...

Copy

Add to Phrasebook

Co

Add to Phrasebook

Cop

Thank you for the response, I am hoping a reduced number of EU students may help. Hopefully they will end up with a similar level to normal. This years offer holders have been very lucky in some ways, let's hope next years applicants don't bear the brunt of it all.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
We'd really recommend that you make your decision on the basis of the course content and structure, rather than which university you think you're more likely to get into.

Hi @Rose1721 !

I work with schools and my daughter has just graduated out of a Cambridge college.

My colleagues and I always advise: choose the specific course first, not the University! The student has to work the course, not the place.

My daughter would never have applied to Oxford because the course there in her subject is so different.

Anyhow, good luck to your child and to your family!

By the way, which subject?
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
As I understand it, it means we cannot admit everyone regardless of grades.

There are two reasons for this. One is, as given by the VC, space. This means space in accommodation (as a university where 99% of our undergraduates live in College-owned accommodation, this affects us more than others, including Oxford), lectures theatres, labs, the architecture studio, you name it. We also need to ensure that we are able to adequately support students academically and pastorally. We also have to think of the impacts this larger cohort has down the line - even if they all came in 2020 or were deferred to 2021, the pressure on rooms will not just be with us for this academic year, but for three or four years to come.

The other reason is that we want everyone who studies with us to do well. Every year, we have applicants who miss their conditional offer and go on to other excellent universities. Taking everyone, regardless of CAGs would mean admitting people we would not normally admit, on account of them missing their grades. There is a very real worry that these students may struggle if they were to come to us. (That's not to say all of them would struggle, or that everyone who gets their offer coasts through, but we have conditional offers for a reason). In particular, if we were to admit everyone in Maths, we would be taking twice as many students as usual. All offer holders have sat STEP this year (albeit in an online format rather than in person) and we were able to make decisions from that, something conveniently forgotten about in the discussions surrounding this topic. Were we to admit those students, not only would it put a huge pressure on the Maths course, but many of those students would find the course incredibly challenging and would be at risk of failing their first year exams. That would not be fair on them and as such would not be the right course of action to take.

I would agree that it probably also has the added meaning that not everyone will be permitted to defer should they wish to do so, but that has been our policy for several months now and, if Peterhouse is anything to go by, we have not seen anywhere near the volume of requests that was predicted.

Fully agree that offer requirements via CAG (and STEP, etc) should be met.

As a parent of a reapplicant - will Cambridge be publishing the approximate number of expected places on each course before the UCAS deadline for early applicants? We are worried that there will be a lot less places for 2021 applicants

I doubt there will be "a lot less places".

Choose the course you prefer, not the admissions stats...

Speaking of which, which course is this for?
Reply 233
Deep sympathy with the admission team and volunteers. Just feel that it is utterly difficult to defend "fairness" of Cambridge's admission decision process, in this very special year.
I could hardly find an element of fairness, if the university decides to use obviously inflated grades (CAG %12 higher than past exam grades) to override the other components of assessment, e.g., interview, pre-interview test scores, personal statement, recommendation letter, ...
Friends of the admission team have been trying to comfort anxious students and parents in this thread, by reiterating that applications are always considered in a holistic manner. Let us say, offer holders A and B both missed the offers, but B is clearly better than A based on "holistic consideration", or even that B is a near miss and A is a wide miss. Last week, A was rejected outright and B was pooled and then rejected. Now with CAG being used to replace the moderated grades, A meets the condition but B does not, because the CAG of A is inflated more, for reasons that perhaps only A's school knows about.
This is a hypothetical example, obviously. What I am trying to say is that the university's decision of using CAG this way is really disappointing. I have followed this thread since it was started by the admission team, and have seen many posts emphasising fairness to offer holders (and adjustment qualifiers), and the core value of holistic admission decision. Blanket adoption of CAG simply says that the university does not truly value the system that she proudly presented to people.
I hope that the admission team would be more cautious in the future when claiming fairness and holistic admission.
Original post by Doones
Choose the course you prefer, not the admissions stats...

Speaking of which, which course is this for?

English, the courses are very different, but she likes both. She loved the course at Durham (her firm) but not the uni. She's confused I think and probably needs the gap year to decide!
Original post by ParentSaraG
Hi @Rose1721 !

I work with schools and my daughter has just graduated out of a Cambridge college.

My colleagues and I always advise: choose the specific course first, not the University! The student has to work the course, not the place.

My daughter would never have applied to Oxford because the course there in her subject is so different.

Anyhow, good luck to your child and to your family!

By the way, which subject?

Thank you. It's English, very different courses though. Her Head of English told her not to worry about the course content because she loves the subject so much that she will find it interesting wherever she goes.
Reply 236
Original post by twoplustwoisfour
I wish your son every success. Not everyone will agree but it is the destination that matters. Have as much fun as possible on the journey but university is three years a career is lifelong, When we are 70 all we'll care about is our post university achievements, whether they be amazing partners, the joy of children, pursuits we've conquered or fulfilling careers we have enjoyed.

Thank you. I think you are a student yourself. Not sure if you got through to Cambridge, but our best wishes where ever you choose to go. You will thrive.
Original post by Rthc
Deep sympathy with the admission team and volunteers. Just feel that it is utterly difficult to defend "fairness" of Cambridge's admission decision process, in this very special year.
I could hardly find an element of fairness, if the university decides to use obviously inflated grades (CAG %12 higher than past exam grades) to override the other components of assessment, e.g., interview, pre-interview test scores, personal statement, recommendation letter, ...
Friends of the admission team have been trying to comfort anxious students and parents in this thread, by reiterating that applications are always considered in a holistic manner. Let us say, offer holders A and B both missed the offers, but B is clearly better than A based on "holistic consideration", or even that B is a near miss and A is a wide miss. Last week, A was rejected outright and B was pooled and then rejected. Now with CAG being used to replace the moderated grades, A meets the condition but B does not, because the CAG of A is inflated more, for reasons that perhaps only A's school knows about.
This is a hypothetical example, obviously. What I am trying to say is that the university's decision of using CAG this way is really disappointing. I have followed this thread since it was started by the admission team, and have seen many posts emphasising fairness to offer holders (and adjustment qualifiers), and the core value of holistic admission decision. Blanket adoption of CAG simply says that the university does not truly value the system that she proudly presented to people.
I hope that the admission team would be more cautious in the future when claiming fairness and holistic admission.

Thank you for this message. We are not being given a choice about using CAG. This is not a decision made by the University, but by the government. We have not been presented with any scope for discretion on this matter. That is not to suggest that we would have chosen to ignore them if we had been given an option to - I do not know what we would have done. Certainly, to have gone against a sector-wide use of these grades would not have been fair.

I would also like to point out that in every year we have to reject and admit students based on the grades they present with. If student A in any other year was weaker in the Admissions process but achieved the typical offer, we would have no choice but to admit them. That said, we would still have discretion about student B, as we do now. Some students who were near misses last week have been admitted already and we may yet have discretion over those who remain near misses. If your son has received predicted grades this year, rather than ones obtained by exam, he should contact his College. He may be able to defer his offer to 2021 and sit exams next summer. I cannot guarantee this, but it is a possibility.

While some schools may have inflated their CAGs, some will have been unfairly and disproportionately hit by the algorithm, meaning that students have received lower grades than their teachers believed they would in their exams. These schools are much more likely to be in deprived areas, where attainment has been historically low and from which we have received fewer applicants previously. We will never know which CAGs are higher than the students would actually have achieved and which may turn out to be lower - these students will never sit A levels so we will never have that data. We have to trust that teachers have behaved professionally - if we accept as default that they have not, it undermines our trust in schools, their predictions and references in future. This is not a situation that we wish to find ourselves in.

Finally, please do not take this out on universities, and even less so on individuals. We are not the creators of this situation. We have been not been given a choice here and are working very hard to ensure the best situation for the everyone.
Original post by Rthc
I could hardly find an element of fairness, if the university decides to use obviously inflated grades (CAG  higher than past exam grades) to override the other components of assessment, e.g., interview, pre-interview test scores, personal statement, recommendation letter, ...

Once the government went with CAG the decision was taken out of the universities hands... but who's to say Student A's CAG is incorrect?
The teachers gave a lot of thought (and process) to their CAGs, much more so than predicted grades for UCAS applications.

There are good statistical reasons why assessing ability will sometimes lead to slightly higher grades than are actually achieved.
(edited 3 years ago)
Can I please ask if there is any clarity with what happens with regard to CAGs and IB students? IB schools were asked to submit their assessments in a similar way to A level but, given only 4,500 out of the 175000 IB students are in the UK, the IB is unlikely to change its methodology to agree to centre assessed grades. Will students be able to demonstrate their predictions and thus meet their offer conditions in a similar way to A level students? It would seem terribly unfair fir not. Thank you.

Latest

Trending

Trending