The Student Room Group

What would you do if you was accused of something you didn't do?

I was accused of stealing from a store when I didn't in Central London Oxford Circus. I've had bad flashbacks and my anxiety has skyrocketed ever since thinking every individual store on the road has some still CCTV image of me. I was allowed to leave the store when I emptied my bag and I didn't meet any police. What would you do if you was accused of stealing from a store when you didn't and how would you react? Would you have a panic attack like me and go to complain about the incident to a different branch of the store as there's different branches of the same store on the same road straight away? How often does wrong allegations of stealing happen in this area?
This happened to me ages ago in Selfridges because the previous store I went to didn’t remove the tags on something I bought, which set off the Selfridges alarm. Baring in mind I don’t have anxiety (but have had a couple of panic attacks before), I just showed the security guard my bags to show there was nothing from Selfridges in there, along with the receipt showing I’d paid for the tagged item to prove I hadn’t stolen it. It depends on the individual situation whether I’d go and complain (for example were the especially rude to you when they accused you of stealing and you emptied your bag? Do you think there was some form of discriminatory reason they accused you? Etc). If they just incorrectly thought I was stealing I’d just leave them to do their job, part of which is trying to ensure no one does steal anything
They let you leave as normal. Don't worry too much about it. These things happen especially somewhere like Central London. And I doubt your still photo is in every store on that road don't be silly lol.
I would lose my sanity for sure and probably do what you did.
Reply 4
I would stay composed. I'd rather not risk getting angry and hence having no control over my actions.
A panic attack and flashbacks seems a bit extreme. I was banned from a shop near me for 6 years for a false accusation of stealing - it was some other kid who I used to hang with and I wasn't even there lol. I just walked out one day and got a whole lecture and shout by the shopkeeper. Don't stress it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending