The Student Room Group

First Psych-Experiment: Looking for an online platform to run it! Do you know one?

Hi!

I hope I'm posting this in the appropriate section of the forum.

I am currently planning my first psychology experiment which will be run online. At one point, I want to direct participants to an external website, where they look through some visualized data on a dashboard. This will probably not go well if a new tab must be opened, so I am thinking about embedding the website into whatever platform I will use.

Is there any tool/platform that offers this function? I don't have any programming skills, so I want to use a tool that lets me build the experiment without having to program. I have found many platforms that offer elaborate functionality, but I just need to embed a website.

If you know one, you'd help me a lot with a short reply!

In detail, this is how it'll be:
(1) First step of the experiment is where I explain some things.
(2) Second step is a short survey
(3) Third step: Here, I want them to access an website external website called "amplitude.com", so they can access a dashboard with visualized data.
(4) 4th step: Participants choose between two options

For (3) they'd have to leave the website of the tool-provider, butI'd like them to stay on it so there's less interruption. I'd need to have the external website displayed within the website of the tool-provider.

Best,
PsychologyNoob
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by PsychologyNoob
Hi!

I hope I'm posting this in the appropriate section of the forum.

I am currently planning my first psychology experiment which will be run online. At one point, I want to direct participants to an external website, where they look through some visualized data on a dashboard. This will probably not go well if a new tab must be opened, so I am thinking about embedding the website into whatever platform I will use.

Is there any tool/platform that offers this function? I don't have any programming skills, so I want to use a tool that lets me build the experiment without having to program. I have found many platforms that offer elaborate functionality, but I just need to embed a website.

If you know one, you'd help me a lot with a short reply!

Best,
PsychologyNoob

If you put it on here, most people who see it will do it. Lots of us put up links for surveys (including myself) which go to outside tabs rather than TSR.
Original post by 15977emily
If you put it on here, most people who see it will do it. Lots of us put up links for surveys (including myself) which go to outside tabs rather than TSR.

Hi Emily,

I wasn't talking about posting a link to the final experiment. I wanted to say that I'm looking for a provider/platform, like surveymonkey or psytoolkit, that gives me a certain option of designing my experiment.

If I used e.g. psytoolkit and posted the link here for you to take part in the experiment, it would of course direct you to the experiment (outside of TSR). That's not an issue. But during the experiment I need participants to access a different website, so they'd bascially have to leave psytoolkit for a task, and I'd like to avoid that.
Hi Emily,

I wasn't talking about posting a link to the final experiment. I wanted to say that I'm looking for a provider/platform, like surveymonkey or psytoolkit, that gives me a certain option of designing my experiment.

If I used e.g. psytoolkit and posted the link here for you to take part in the experiment, it would of course direct you to the experiment (outside of TSR). That's not an issue. But during the experiment I need participants to access a different website, so they'd bascially have to leave psytoolkit for a task, and I'd like to avoid that.

Don't know if that's possible! I've never really heard of it. Microsoft Forms I find is brilliant! Most people who are happy/want to take a survey are happy to leave the site. I did a survey that included a link outside on MS Forms and still got 53 responses (and counting!) which is from part distribution here (target audience was tiny/very specific!) and distributing at school.
Qualtrics for sure - your uni should have a subscription to the premium version, if not the free one is for under 250 participants?
Original post by Noodlzzz
Qualtrics for sure - your uni should have a subscription to the premium version, if not the free one is for under 250 participants?

I second this -qualtrics should let you do what you want.
Noodlzzz and GabiAbi84, wow, Qualtrics looks very promising!!! Thank you so much for that, I'll try it out and post an update on whether everything worked as planned here.

Emily, thank you for your reply, if I can't get it to work I might give that option a try.
Noodlzzz and GabiAbi84, wow, Qualtrics looks very promising!!! Thank you so much for that, I'll try it out and post an update on whether everything worked as planned here.

Emily, thank you for your reply, if I can't get it to work I might give that option a try.

It’s incredibly easy to navigate both setup and participants. Also its the go to for psych studies in universities so looks ‘professional’ :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest