looloo2134
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by L i b)
There are certainly large numbers of people who are unemployed who don't claim benefits, but I imagine many will be those who have retired early, who are stay-at-home parents, women who are pregnant etc, idle boulevardiers, bored housewives etc.
I meant school/university leaves who are unable to find a job they are offer supported by their family and not claiming benefits.
Gundabad(good)
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Vexper)
Unless you cannot work ie severely disabled/caring for someone severely disabled etc (whereby you get additional amounts towards) then you aren't meant to. The problem arises whereby someone tries to maintain their/a 'working' lifestyle when they aren't working. It's just not possible. You can't afford Ubereats every night - you need to revaluate your life and adapt, which many don't, and it leads to a cycle of struggle. The guy in the documentary was cool and you can see he's been through a lot, but I also would like to see really how he's budgeting his money. He gave a brief explanation but it was very dubious considering all the help you can get whilst on benefit, council tax reduction up to 100% etc and full rent paid to the LHA. The quick shot of his Xbox (a measured purchase even for me at full-time wage) is always a reminder that things shouldn't be taken at face value - in either way. Maybe he was gifted it - maybe not. Who knows? Inability to manage finance whether it be from employment or benefit is not uncommon though.

JCP pay for your interview travel expenses if you ask them to. They've done that for a long time now. My friend just had his £80 train paid to London for an interview.

Re the second, you can get a budgeting advance but I am agreed in that it's a struggle long-term when stuff breaks. But in the same line of thinking, working or not, things breaking can be stressful financially. It would be a very complex solution to come up with to address general life wear and tear/breakage when on a benefit and not working other than a general budgeting advance because it's ultimately dependent on what breaks.

Too generic to address in any real detail.

CPAG reading this right now

You have 3 children. They are all growing up. Your daughter (Vanessa) wants to be a tennis player - how are you paying for Vanessa's lessons/club fees? How are you buying her any of her equipment? Children growing up on benefit source alone have significantly reduced outcomes as parents simply cannot afford to enable their dreams or intentions. Children constantly outgrow their clothes and interests whereby you have to financially adapt to this non-stop as a parent. You can't send their child to school in a jumper that is a size 7 when they're now a size 10. Even if you shop cheap it's still very hard to keep up with the growth of children. Very general things that you expect children want to do - a trip to the cinemas, become eye-watering in terms of costs when you're on a benefit only. Noting what a chap said above regarding things breaking - what do kids do? They non-stop break things and tear their clothes. You need to be able to keep up with that too.

So yeah, having Children is not a 'solution' - it's a more complex layer of dilemmas to add your financial situation.

Mum and Dad want you to actually use your initative and bring some money into the household that you're likely entitled to... but you buy so much into stigmas that you won't? Not uncommon - and sad.

Another thread of 'benefit bashing' and 'solutions'.

But a lot of those parents don't even try to look after their kids. They basically leave them to fend for themselves and keep most of the benefit money.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (75)
21.61%
No (272)
78.39%

Watched Threads