The Student Room Group

Lancaster, Nottingham, York

can any students from Lancaster uni, Nottingham uni, and York uni tell me about general student life there, and positives and negatives
Original post by Anonymous
can any students from Lancaster uni, Nottingham uni, and York uni tell me about general student life there, and positives and negatives

Hi anon,
I just finished my degree at Lancaster so I'll be able to give you an insight into the student life here:

- It's super cheap here! Nights out are cheap so you can go out as much as you want. There's a free bus from campus to the SU club in town so don't have to worry about getting there and back. Pubs and bars and restaurants are cheap. Train travel to nearby areas are cheap so you can do lots of exploring. The campus is about 15 minute bus journey from town - the buses have improved loads in the last few years and have really listened to students requests. There's now a nightbus which only costs £1 too.

- We have a college system so as well as the SU running events throughout the year, colleges also host social events (karaoke, open mic comedy, pub quizzes, fundraisers etc). This means on campus there's usually something going on, normally hosted in one of the 9 bars on campus. You can go to events for any college on campus normally and you're not restricted to just your college.

- We've got tonnes of societies and these are a great way to get involved. As well as training sessions or meetings (depending on the kind of society), most societies have a social secretary who organises socials for everyone to get together and get involved. These are a great way to meet up in different years and on different courses, and as a first year it'll probably get you more involved with and comfortable with going into the city centre. Some sports societies do require gym membership (this is common in most unis because it costs to hire out sports venues), so budget for it if you're planning to join. Our gym memberships start from £38 per term (although could change so do check when you get here). We also have Roses every year, held at either Lancaster or York and is the biggest inter-university sports competition in Europe. Tonnes of societies get involved, everyone goes to watch the Rugby matches and there's also a huge celebration after.

I hope this was some useful info and let me know if you have any questions!
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending