The Student Room Group

I’m 27 and I’m still doing a low skilled labouring job on minimum wage

I left college at 19 with only a level 2 in dry lining and interiors in construction. However 8 years later I’m stuck in a dead end job that I have been doing for 6 years on minimum wage. I’ve only been doing the job because my in law is a director. Is it too late to go back into education and perhaps into university?
Original post by Matty2993
I left college at 19 with only a level 2 in dry lining and interiors in construction. However 8 years later I’m stuck in a dead end job that I have been doing for 6 years on minimum wage. I’ve only been doing the job because my in law is a director. Is it too late to go back into education and perhaps into university?

It’s never too late to go back to education. Follow your mind, and do what it takes with preserverance and determination. Uni life is what you make of it.

Take the plunge and go for it. For a better you and for a better future.

Tell them you want a better role!

Also it’s never too late
(edited 3 years ago)
Depends..

I’m 30 right now and trying to compete for graduate positions with people in their early 20s might be challenging.

I changed from my low paid customer service job at the age of 25 without uni.

What is it you want to do? I think that will very much depend on how you go about changing your job prospects.. for what I wanted to do (IT) I didn’t need to go to university.
Reply 4
It's never too late! I did my A-Level equivalents at home at 31 (Access to HE) and started University at 32. Here I am, two years later. It'll be all over next year and I have a job waiting for me after that I could have only landed in my wildest dreams.

Yes, it's been a journey and one which has very tough at times. You can tell yourself "But, it's going to take X years", but time still passes by. If in X years you reach that point and have done nothing, you'll kick yourself for not starting earlier.

It's never too late mate.
Reply 5

Go for it. I left sixth form with EEE A-levels and went straight in to work. I’ve just turned 28 and going to Uni in September. I too was stuck in minimum wage job where there was no chance of progression.

My way of thinking is that although I’ll be 32 by the time I graduate, might as well be 32 with a degree and a decent job than 32 and still stuck in a dead end role on ~£8 an hour.
What is it you fancy doing?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Your not even that old.
People who say its never too late... sometimes it is but in the OPs case he is just within the years where he is able to retrain.

I wouldn’t bother after 35
You don't need to go to uni to change careers nor are you necessarily guaranteed a good job just bc you go uni but if you want to go to uni it's never too late
Original post by denideth
Go for it. I left sixth form with EEE A-levels and went straight in to work. I’ve just turned 28 and going to Uni in September. I too was stuck in minimum wage job where there was no chance of progression.

My way of thinking is that although I’ll be 32 by the time I graduate, might as well be 32 with a degree and a decent job than 32 and still stuck in a dead end role on ~£8 an hour.
What is it you fancy doing?

Did you have to take any further qualifications prior to enrolling in an undergraduate course?

Be thankful of what you have.

I just quit my job yesterday which paid me £28k.
Original post by trapking
Be thankful of what you have.

I just quit my job yesterday which paid me £28k.

What was the reason you quit?
Original post by Philip-flop
What was the reason you quit?

Came to the realisation it's not the career for me.
Did you have to take any further qualifications prior to enrolling in an undergraduate course?

Hello there. I had to complete an Access course - it runs from September to June and gives you a Level 3 qualification (equivalent to A-levels).
Hello there. I had to complete an Access course - it runs from September to June and gives you a Level 3 qualification (equivalent to A-levels).

How old were you when you enrolled?
How old were you when you enrolled?

I was 27 - the ages of the other people on my course ranged from mid-20's to early 40's and they're all heading to Uni this year. :smile:
I was 27 - the ages of the other people on my course ranged from mid-20's to early 40's and they're all heading to Uni this year. :smile:

Fantastic! I'm currently 27. How did you deal with people's thoughts about you returning back to education? Also how did you cope with other responsibilities such as bills etc?
you're not guaranteed a job at end. bear that in mind before acquiring tremendous amount of debt

I'm 28 next month and have just enrolled with the open University while I work full time doing a low wage job. Its never too late to get your life together, and no use looking back with regrets.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending