The Student Room Group

Can I still grow taller at 17?

I started my period when I was 14, I grew about an inch over a year. And now, I’m 17 years old and I’m only 4”11. My mom is 5”2 and my dad is 5”8. I’ve been this short since I started my period. And I never grew even a slightest inch. I believe it’s because I didn’t get the amount of sleep I needed as a kid. I didn’t eat much and always get 7 hours sleep and most of the time, less than that. And now I’m trying to catch up. I’ve been drinking milk every night before bed and been exercising lately. My mom says that she stopped growing at 21, but she was 5”2 since she was my age.
Now, I have 7 months left, before my age increases. Do I still have a chance to grow?:frown: maybe 5inch?:frown: Cause I’ve always wanted to be a model...:frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Joy D
I started my period when I was 14, I grew about an inch over a year. And now, I’m 17 years old and I’m only 4”11. My mom is 5”2 and my dad is 5”8. I’ve been this short since I started my period. And I never grew even a slightest inch. I believe it’s because I didn’t get the amount of sleep I needed as a kid. I didn’t eat much and always get 7 hours sleep and most of the time, less than that. And now I’m trying to catch up. I’ve been drinking milk every night before bed and been exercising lately. My mom says that she stopped growing at 21, but she was 5”2 since she was my age.
Now, I have 7 months left, before my age increases. Do I still have a chance to grow?:frown: maybe 5inch?:frown: Cause I’ve always wanted to be a model...:frown:

look at the graph

https://chartsgraphsdiagrams.com/HealthCharts/images/height-2-20-girls.png

notice how once girls get to about 14 the graph starts to flatten and barely any height is made from then on in.

tbh, seeing that you are 17 now, you'd be lucky to grow another 2 cms by the looks of things.

I think you are just gonna have to accept your height.
4 ft 11 isn't so bad for a girl though.
better than being 5ft 5 or 5ft 6 as a guy because lots of girls will discriminate against him and not date him due to his height
Original post by Joy D

You can definitely grow a little more, but not enough to hit model proportions unfortunately... but if you do then congrats! You might be able to hit 5”2 max in my op, because of your mum, and some people around me kept growing until 20-ish. Model height needs to be at the very least 5”7. Even if the reason why you didn’t grow is sleep and eating habits, you can’t reverse the damage done, as 1 hour of missed sleep is equal to 4 hours of catch up sleep, not accounting for how much that sleep matters. I’m aiming for 1 more inch before I turn 15, but even that feels impossible at times... It’s good to try though, so you don’t regret it later, and drinking milk and exercising is a good place to start. Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by sakura_23
You can definitely grow a little more, but not enough to hit model proportions unfortunately... but if you do then congrats! You might be able to hit 5”2 max in my op, because of your mum, and some people around me kept growing until 20-ish. Model height needs to be at the very least 5”7. Even if the reason why you didn’t grow is sleep and eating habits, you can’t reverse the damage done, as 1 hour of missed sleep is equal to 4 hours of catch up sleep, not accounting for how much that sleep matters. I’m aiming for 1 more inch before I turn 15, but even that feels impossible at times... It’s good to try though, so you don’t regret it later, and drinking milk and exercising is a good place to start. Good luck!

Thank you so much! That gives me hope🙏🏼
Yes u can grow.
Good nutrition - including lots of milk, lots of exercise and a good, healthy sleep schedule.

It’s a bit late for a growth spurt but you might get a little bit taller with a healthy lifestyle. It’s certainly not going to hurt. ☺️
Original post by Joy D

I don’t want to squash your hopes and dreams, but it is unlikely. Girls usually stop growing 2 years after their period. Although part of it is determined by environmental factors, a large part of it is determined by genetics. My parents were 5”3 and 5”5, but I grew to 5”2 and my brother grew to 6”2. According to the calculation rule I was meant to be around 4”11. I think the potential of your growth is largely genetic. Not everyone is the same, but I had very bad insomnia and anorexia during puberty. Even so, I grew to 5”2 at around 12-13 (and stopped growing since). I think you should look at when most of the people in your family stopped growing in height to determine perhaps when you will. Height is quite complicated and has to do with when your bones close off and stop growing.

On the bright side, 4”11 is pretty cute. I would’ve suggested petite modelling, but 5”1 seems to be the cut off.
To be honest, to stunt your growth by not eating enough you would need to have suffered sever malnutrition and this is not the case.

Exercising will likely better your posture but it won't increase your height, you probably won't grow taller and that's okay.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
To be honest, to stunt your growth by not eating enough you would need to have suffered sever malnutrition and this is not the case.

Exercising will likely better your posture but it won't increase your height, you probably won't grow taller and that's okay.

He's right. Having good posture will make you seem much taller. Get yourself some Airforce- those things add an inch haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending