The Student Room Group

Student loans

Hi. I’m a single parent on universal credit. I’ll be studying full time and wondering if it’s worth applying for loans/grants ect or just stick to universal credit. I’m not sure how much it will effect my universal credit. Can anybody who has been in this situation please help? Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Vickis1983
Hi. I’m a single parent on universal credit. I’ll be studying full time and wondering if it’s worth applying for loans/grants ect or just stick to universal credit. I’m not sure how much it will effect my universal credit. Can anybody who has been in this situation please help? Thanks.

Hi, as far as I know if you get a student loan you can't claim universal credit but it maybe different if you have children.. i am currently claiming UC just for the summer holidays but I'm stopping my claim once I go back to uni as I will receive a higher amount from student loans then UC..

I would call the UC office and ask what would happen with your claim if you were to apply for a student loan and I would call student finance and find out how much you are entitled to, then figure which is the highest amount..

I guess the only downside with the student loan is paying it back eventually and you won't have a huge amount to cover the summer holidays.. but the money really does cover bills etc.. good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending