The Student Room Group

Level 3 qualification

Hello, I recently finished my BTEC Public Services Level 2 qualification and Have been offered a place onto level 3 but as I’m 19 I have to pay for my level 3 qualification. Although, on the email I received it says that if I’m between the age of 19-23 and doing a level 3 qualification for the first time I can be entitled for a full funding of my course, I contacted my college and they ensured me I didn’t need to pay for my course because it would be the first time doing this qualification but recently my college contacted me giving me the opposite information they gave me previously and they said I needed to pay for the course because apparently the gov cut the funding for my level 3 qualification as I’m over 19.

Does anyone know if this information is true or?
Original post by iamfredf
Hello, I recently finished my BTEC Public Services Level 2 qualification and Have been offered a place onto level 3 but as I’m 19 I have to pay for my level 3 qualification. Although, on the email I received it says that if I’m between the age of 19-23 and doing a level 3 qualification for the first time I can be entitled for a full funding of my course, I contacted my college and they ensured me I didn’t need to pay for my course because it would be the first time doing this qualification but recently my college contacted me giving me the opposite information they gave me previously and they said I needed to pay for the course because apparently the gov cut the funding for my level 3 qualification as I’m over 19.

Does anyone know if this information is true or?

I would contact your college again to get formal confirmation (and ideally in writing). From what I understand, if it's your first Level 3, then you wouldn't have to pay. There's also a mention of it here: https://www.gov.uk/further-education-courses

Would be keen to know how you get on :smile:
Reply 2
I'm in a similar situation, i'm 19 I just completed first year of my Level 3 BTEC and college is trying to get me to pay for second year. I contacted my college saying It is my first level 3 qualification and I should be entitled to full funding for the course but they are saying that because I have completed first year i already hold a level 3 qualification but I dont understand how that is possible because it is a 2 year course surely I have to finish the whole course to hold the qualification. I contact NCS and they agree that I should be entitled to full funding but college are saying otherwise,I dont know what to do? I'll be in so much in debt as i'll take out a loan for second year and then 3 years of University...
Reply 3
Original post by brainzistheword
I would contact your college again to get formal confirmation (and ideally in writing). From what I understand, if it's your first Level 3, then you wouldn't have to pay. There's also a mention of it here: https://www.gov.uk/further-education-courses

Would be keen to know how you get on :smile:

Hello,

If I contact my college now they will say that I have to pay for my Level 3 course which I think that’s not right as all the information I found says that I’m entitled for a free qualification as it’s my first time doing a level 3.
When I contacted them in July (by phone as they take ages to reply emails) they said that I was entitled, I even have on of my tutors as a witness because she was helping me with that!
Hello,

If I contact my college now they will say that I have to pay for my Level 3 course which I think that’s not right as all the information I found says that I’m entitled for a free qualification as it’s my first time doing a level 3.
When I contacted them in July (by phone as they take ages to reply emails) they said that I was entitled, I even have on of my tutors as a witness because she was helping me with that!

Is your tutor aware of what the college has now said?
Reply 5
Original post by brainzistheword
Is your tutor aware of what the college has now said?

Yes she is aware and she says it is really unfair as it says on the email/college website and the gov website that I should be getting my qualification for free! So I really don’t know what to do.
I wrote an email to send to the college principal to make her aware of this situation, I will send it on Monday morning.
Yes she is aware and she says it is really unfair as it says on the email/college website and the gov website that I should be getting my qualification for free! So I really don’t know what to do.
I wrote an email to send to the college principal to make her aware of this situation, I will send it on Monday morning.

The problem could be that you were registered on the first year of the Diploma (or Sub Dip) as most colleges do this and then top up learners in year 2. If this is the case and they claimed a certificate, then you will have achieved a full level 3 qualification

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending