The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Typical week at Lancaster

Is there a ‘typical’ week for first years (pre-COVID)? I mean in terms of free days. What is the latest you might have lecturers until of Fridays? I might have some part time work on Friday evening.
Original post by Anonymous
Is there a ‘typical’ week for first years (pre-COVID)? I mean in terms of free days. What is the latest you might have lecturers until of Fridays? I might have some part time work on Friday evening.

This will vary a lot depending on what course you're studying. If you can tell me what you're interested in or have a place on, I can ask one of our Student Ambassadors on a similar course to give you an idea.
Thanks
Louise
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi Louise. Thank you. Film Studies.
Hi @Anonymous
I’m a student at Lancaster university and I’m happy to share my experiences. Personally for me the contact hours were less in my first year but sometimes they did change termly so the typical week could change per term. For my course theatre I only finished at 5pm on a Friday because I had one of my compulsory lessons on Friday afternoons during my first year but things may be different for different courses and depending on the modules you have taken.
This being said in first year you do tend to have more free time to settle in and adapt to the uni work and lifestyle.
Hope this gives you an idea of my experience !
Student ambassador Holly at Lancaster University ( drama, theatre and performance BA hons)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks Holly.
Original post by Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous #1,

I've written a blog here about my average week in first year as an English Lit and Creative Writing student. Evidently, the week will differ depending on the degree, but arts and humanities generally have the same amount of contact hours and support.

My latest lecture was 1-2pm on a Friday, but it will depend per subject. A lot of people I know did work Thursday and Friday evenings, as well as the weekends, so it definitely might be possible.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help!

Maria :smile:
1st year English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice (placement year)
Reply 6
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @Anonymous #1,

I've written a blog here about my average week in first year as an English Lit and Creative Writing student. Evidently, the week will differ depending on the degree, but arts and humanities generally have the same amount of contact hours and support.

My latest lecture was 1-2pm on a Friday, but it will depend per subject. A lot of people I know did work Thursday and Friday evenings, as well as the weekends, so it definitely might be possible.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help!

Maria :smile:
1st year English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice (placement year)

Hi Maria. Thanks.
1st year comp sci w/ human geography minor:

Monday 9-10, 11-12, 1-2
Tuesday 10-11, 1-3, 6-7 (often missed last lecture as I needed to go shopping then)
Wednesday 9-11, 11-12, 1-2
Thursday 9-10, 11-12, 2-4
Friday 9-10

These are estimates and not entirely accurate, but they give you a rough idea. However, first term this year is going to be completely different because of covid

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending