The Student Room Group

Brexit and Unis - Irish passport holders?

I hold an Irish passport and will be applying to uni to start in Sept 2021. With Brexit, how will this impact my educational status in the UK? Will I have to pay international, as opposed to home, fees, despite having lived in the UK since I was a mere few months old? I'm confused how this also works with Scottish uni applications, as I think they're different if you aren't a British citizen. Please could someone give me an idea as to what Irish passport holders will have to do, and would it be worth getting a British passport? Thanks :smile:
It depends where you live, rather than what your passport is. Which UK nation do you live in?
Original post by KittyN
It depends where you live, rather than what your passport is. Which UK nation do you live in?

England
Speak to ukcisa. They have brexit information on their website that explains the detailed position and a student advice line if you have a complex situation.
Reply 4
No, Irish students are protected by the common travel area and will not have to pay international's fees. They will remain the same for us and British students.
Original post by JohnnyCosty
No, Irish students are protected by the common travel area and will not have to pay international's fees. They will remain the same for us and British students.

Really, even if I (with Irish passport living in England) applied for a Scottish uni?
Reply 6
Original post by Koalifications
Really, even if I (with Irish passport living in England) applied for a Scottish uni?

Yes I believe so as, Northern Irish students who hold Irish passports pay eu fees in Scotland even though they are living in the UK. I think they decide fee status on nationality not residence.
Reply 7
Original post by JohnnyCosty
Yes I believe so as, Northern Irish students who hold Irish passports pay eu fees in Scotland even though they are living in the UK. I think they decide fee status on nationality not residence.

not always true, varies uni to uni in Scotland and most class Northern Ireland as RUK (rest of UK)

I'm N.Irish, hold an Irish passport only, and had to pay £9k fees in Scotland. Dundee classed me as RUK because I technically live in the UK. St Andrews classed me as EU because of my passport (and then I was rejected lmao because capped places, haha).

Original post by Koalifications
I hold an Irish passport and will be applying to uni to start in Sept 2021. With Brexit, how will this impact my educational status in the UK? Will I have to pay international, as opposed to home, fees, despite having lived in the UK since I was a mere few months old? I'm confused how this also works with Scottish uni applications, as I think they're different if you aren't a British citizen. Please could someone give me an idea as to what Irish passport holders will have to do, and would it be worth getting a British passport? Thanks :smile:

You need to check, but I think you'll be classed as RUK for a lot of the Scotland unis, regardless of your passport, simply because you've been living in England all your life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending