The Student Room Group

Aqa English literature alevel (spec A) essay help

Heyyyy,

I’m going to be starting my alevels soon and I’m doing English literature as one of them! I’d really like some advice on how writing essays is different to gcse. I’m planning on writing an essay on regeneration from a past paper question off the aqa website but I’m not too sure how to structure it in a way (Ik there isn’t a set structure).

Does anyone have any advice on how they write theirs and what they include in it to get good marks? Any advice would be super helpful!!
Reply 1
Original post by Year11Student:)
Heyyyy,

I’m going to be starting my alevels soon and I’m doing English literature as one of them! I’d really like some advice on how writing essays is different to gcse. I’m planning on writing an essay on regeneration from a past paper question off the aqa website but I’m not too sure how to structure it in a way (Ik there isn’t a set structure).

Does anyone have any advice on how they write theirs and what they include in it to get good marks? Any advice would be super helpful!!

Hey,, it’s so good that you’re preparing now— I’m going into year 13 and have only just realised that my essays were very much of the GCSE style!
For structure, laying out the argument is crucial as it would be in any essay. Lines like “One fundamental aspect of ___ is ___” would be quite a good way of introducing a point.
For the amount of content I include, I usually aim for 3-4 points, but there have been instances where I go into 2 points in depth and get a good mark.
I had a look and saw that essays are usually 25 marks, so you can adjust to meet that.
As for the A-Level style, I would always aim to make it a very well-rounded discussion and embed quotes sufficiently but significantly—(use quotes that are judicious and worth talking about!)

You may do this already but I just wanted to help out in any way I could; others may be of more help with the specifics of what you essay is about!
Original post by eunbipsy
Hey,, it’s so good that you’re preparing now— I’m going into year 13 and have only just realised that my essays were very much of the GCSE style!
For structure, laying out the argument is crucial as it would be in any essay. Lines like “One fundamental aspect of ___ is ___” would be quite a good way of introducing a point.
For the amount of content I include, I usually aim for 3-4 points, but there have been instances where I go into 2 points in depth and get a good mark.
I had a look and saw that essays are usually 25 marks, so you can adjust to meet that.
As for the A-Level style, I would always aim to make it a very well-rounded discussion and embed quotes sufficiently but significantly—(use quotes that are judicious and worth talking about!)

You may do this already but I just wanted to help out in any way I could; others may be of more help with the specifics of what you essay is about!

Thank you so much!!!! This is really helpful:smile:)))

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending