The Student Room Group

Journey to A*'s - Year 12 GYG (2020/2021)

Hi!
I've seen loads of GYG's popping up at the moment and decided that I would start one for myself. As you can see from the title I'm going into year 12 in September and I am aiming to get As and A*s (this may be a bit of a stretch for year 12 but I'm at least going to try :smile:

Background information:
GCSE's

Spoiler

A levels

Spoiler

I am a bit nervous about starting year 12 because I have missed so much school and i don't really feel ready, I am staying at my current school but I do not know anybody in my classes so hopefully I will meet and get to know some new people (although I think lockdown officially destroyed the limited social skills that I had so not sure how this will go 😂)

Hobbies/Interests

Spoiler

Future Goals

Spoiler

I'm not really expecting anybody to read this, it is just kinda my motivation for year 12 and also something for me to look back on in the future, I'm hoping to update at least once a week, Let me know if you would like a tag :smile:

Tags!! :party:

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So far this week, I've not done very much but I have managed to finish most of my bridging work, I am starting sixth form on Thursday which is kinda stressful after so long off but I'm sure it will be fine. The maths bridging work was really short and I barely had to do anything, however physics and chemistry are taking me ages and I really cba but I've got to get it all done soon so I'm trying to motivate myself to do it now (although I have just made this GYG as a form of procrastination so I don't think I'll get anything done :dontknow:)
Good luck for anyone starting year 12 soon :smile:
Keep me tagged Emily! This looks great!
Reply 3
Original post by Shadbury
Keep me tagged Emily! This looks great!

Thank you! :smile:
Are you studying A levels as well? :wink:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Emily~3695
Thank you! :smile:
Are you studying A levels as well? :wink:

I am indeed!
this look great. I'm glad you tagged me :smile:

I'd recommend His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman. one of my favourite books of all time. I recently started listening to the infinite monkey cage on BBC sounds (it's a science/physics based podcast) and it's great.

good luck for year 12
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi!
I've seen loads of GYG's popping up at the moment and decided that I would start one for myself. As you can see from the title I'm going into year 12 in September and I am aiming to get As and A*s (this may be a bit of a stretch for year 12 but I'm at least going to try :smile:

Background information:
GCSE's

Spoiler

A levels

Spoiler

I am a bit nervous about starting year 12 because I have missed so much school and i don't really feel ready, I am staying at my current school but I do not know anybody in my classes so hopefully I will meet and get to know some new people (although I think lockdown officially destroyed the limited social skills that I had so not sure how this will go 😂)

Hobbies/Interests

Spoiler

Future Goals

Spoiler

I'm not really expecting anybody to read this, it is just kinda my motivation for year 12 and also something for me to look back on in the future, I'm hoping to update at least once a week, Let me know if you would like a tag :smile:

Spoiler

Can you please tell me how you revised for GCSEs for each subject. I’m going into y11 and I’m a bit nervous as we missed 6 months
Reply 7
Original post by Shadbury
I am indeed!

That's great :smile:
What subjects are you doing? Are you year 12? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by philogrobized
this look great. I'm glad you tagged me :smile:

I'd recommend His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman. one of my favourite books of all time. I recently started listening to the infinite monkey cage on BBC sounds (it's a science/physics based podcast) and it's great.

good luck for year 12

I've been thinking of reading His Dark Materials for a long time, I might give it a go now :smile:
I've listed to some of the infinite monkey cage podcast on Spotify and so far it seems great, it seems like we have similar tastes:biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by unknownm123
Can you please tell me how you revised for GCSEs for each subject. I’m going into y11 and I’m a bit nervous as we missed 6 months

yeah of course, what subjects are you doing for GCSE, I'm happy to help out in any that I did as well :smile:
(would you like to be tagged?)
That's great :smile:
What subjects are you doing? Are you year 12? :smile:

Yep year 12, doing a gyg just like you actually! Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths

Read skulduggery pleasant it makes hdm look like a nursery book
yeah of course, what subjects are you doing for GCSE, I'm happy to help out in any that I did as well :smile:

The exact same apart from dt i did business instead and I geography instead of history. Yes please. I’m ready struggling 😭😭😭 I haven’t made any notes or revision either

I’m aiming for grades like yours too
I've been thinking of reading His Dark Materials for a long time, I might give it a go now :smile:
I've listed to some of the infinite monkey cage podcast on Spotify and so far it seems great, it seems like we have similar tastes:biggrin:

yeah that's quite true 😂
People who do your subjects with a level and who have achieved similar gcses to yours have done well in the past.
Hi!

Background information:
GCSE's

Spoiler

A levels

Spoiler

Hobbies/Interests

Spoiler

Future Goals

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hey tag me pls:smile: I'm doing maths and chem aswell.
Btw u did absolutely amazing in your GCSEs well done!!
Original post by royalty1702
People who do your subjects with a level and who have achieved similar gcses to yours have done well in the past.

This is what I'm hoping, although I'm still going to have to work really hard if I have any chance of going to Cambridge, are you in year 12 as well? (would you like to be tagged?) :smile:
Original post by cloud_9_
Hey tag me pls:smile: I'm doing maths and chem aswell.
Btw u did absolutely amazing in your GCSEs well done!!

Thank you :smile:
good luck for year 12, do you have a GYG as well, i'd love to read it :smile:
Thank you :smile:
good luck for year 12, do you have a GYG as well, i'd love to read it :smile:

Thanks and nah i dont have a GYG I dont think I'd be disciplined enough to write in it frequently lmao
Original post by unknownm123
The exact same apart from dt i did business instead and I geography instead of history. Yes please. I’m ready struggling 😭😭😭 I haven’t made any notes or revision either

For English I really recommend the youtube channels Stacey Reay and Mr Salles teaches English (they are much better than Mr Bruff for high level analysis, I managed to go from a 4 to an 8 in literature between October an march in year 11 so they really help), I then made a midnmap for every character and theme for literature, what texts are you doing, I have some typed notes on my computer that I'm happy to share with you if we do the same texts :smile: for language do loads of practice, I did loads and got my teacher to mark them which really helped me improve, I'm happy to try and mark any of your answers if you do any practice questions.

for maths just do loads of practice, I used hegarty maths a lot because my school had a subscription, I also recommend corbett maths and maths genie for questions.

For science, physics and maths tutor is a great website for practice questions which are really important to master exam technique, I also used seneca learning fro a basic overview and I made mindmaps for every chapter using my textbook, class notes and revision guides. I then used a technique called 'blurting' to see what stuff I knew and what stuff I need to go over, Unjaded jade has a really good video on this technique on her YouTube channel which I recommend checking out :smile:

For french, I downloaded a french radio app and watched loads of french tv shows with engish subtitles to help with my listening,make sure to learn all the vocab that could come up, your exam board should have a list on their website, I recommend using memrise or quizlet to do this . Learn some high level structures which you can incorporate into your writing, I have some documents of high level structures that I can send to you if you want,also make sure to practice your speaking as that can be daunting.

I don't do your other subjects, but in general seneca and bbc bitesize are good places to cover content, I personally never made flashcards but a lot of my friends did so that might help you, if you need any help with anything just PM me and I'm happy to give advice, good luck!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending