The Student Room Group

Are Big Freshers Events Ethical?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDec
I don't care :h:

ok when you get coronavirus i won't give a **** either :h:
Most in person freshers events are either cancelled or online :smile: inevitably there will be people who want to form large parties but i imagine police will be breaking them up similar to how they have been dispersing illegal raves
Original post by khadijaaaxxxx
ok when you get coronavirus i won't give a **** either :h:

I probably won't care either, I'm young and healthy :lol:

you realise that some young people do get it bad
remember the 13 year old boy with no underlying health conditions that died?:rolleyes:
Original post by khadijaaaxxxx
you realise that some young people do get it bad
remember the 13 year old boy with no underlying health conditions that died?:rolleyes:

On the balance of probability a 0.2% chance of death is incredibly good odds.

Imagine betting on the horses with a 99.8% chance of winning.
When do you reckon clubs will actually reopen? I can’t see it happening before mid-2021 realistically. I’ve been to bars in London recently and it’s not the same; you can’t meet in big groups or chat to anyone else there, no dancing etc. I’ll just stick to pubs for now I guess, much cheaper too.
Original post by a1b2c3d456
When do you reckon clubs will actually reopen? I can’t see it happening before mid-2021 realistically. I’ve been to bars in London recently and it’s not the same; you can’t meet in big groups or chat to anyone else there, no dancing etc. I’ll just stick to pubs for now I guess, much cheaper too.

Might as well be sooner seeing as pubs have zero social distancing and are business as usual...
No.
Reply 28

In which case I won't shed a tear for you when your parents / grandparents become seriously ill from COVID after bumping into a student in Tescos who was carrying COVID as a result of acting irresponsibly.
Original post by ProperLad
It’s not about them attending freshers events. If this many young people are so close in these events with a disease as infectious as this one, clubs and barcrawls etc. will be a breeding ground for Covid-19. The danger them comes with interactions after that. Older people might not directly go to freshers events or might not directly interact with younger people after, but as we know the disease can still spread. Lives can still be lost all because a few students wanted to go on a bar crawl with the rest of the city.

@DiddyDec
It's also not just about infecting people and risking lives it's about increasing numbers because even if there aren't more deaths, increased cases lead to increased restrictions which leads to places closing down and jobs being lost.
Its not even
Old generations don't have to attend Freshers events if they are worried about their health.

The average university academic is at increased risk. If students want to have some hope of face to face teaching returning in any broad form in the new year they should probably try not to become covid incubators. :wink:

Separating generations isn’t practically possible now that the government has scrapped all support for those shielding and forced vulnerable people out to the shops and chemists.
Original post by maah001
In which case I won't shed a tear for you when your parents / grandparents become seriously ill from COVID after bumping into a student in Tescos who was carrying COVID as a result of acting irresponsibly.

My grandparents and parents aren't stupid enough to go into shops where they are actually at risk, they get what they need delivered because they actually bothered to keep up with modern technology.

Original post by L'anatra.M
@DiddyDec
It's also not just about infecting people and risking lives it's about increasing numbers because even if there aren't more deaths, increased cases lead to increased restrictions which leads to places closing down and jobs being lost.
Its not even

I still don't care, I did 4 months ago but now I don't.
Reply 32
My grandparents and parents aren't stupid enough to go into shops where they are actually at risk, they get what they need delivered because they actually bothered to keep up with modern technology.

I really hope you are just a wind up merchant.

There will always be idiots, but I'm confident that most young people will be sensible and do their best to limit the spread of the virus.
Original post by maah001
I really hope you are just a wind up merchant.

There will always be idiots, but I'm confident that most young people will be sensible and do their best to limit the spread of the virus.

I am not a wind up merchant. While you may not want to hear it, I am being honest.

Why do you not care? I mean the current restrictions aren't a big deal, it takes no effort to follow them? I'm not trying to have a go at you I'm just curious.
Why do you not care? I mean the current restrictions aren't a big deal, it takes no effort to follow them? I'm not trying to have a go at you I'm just curious.

Because I don't see why 99% of the population should have their freedom limited to protect the 1%.
This thread is full of hysterical edgelords
Because I don't see why 99% of the population should have their freedom limited to protect the 1%.

As I said before. We aren't even that limited, you can go on holiday, you can meet your friends, you can go to pubs. There very few things that we are restricted from doing. Additional, as I said before, this effects everyone, apart from babys and toddlers, everyone is effected. Children and students not getting their education, adults losing their jobs or being unable to earn money. That's not 1% of the population. It seems a bit stupid to complain that you can't go to uni or work but then flaunt restrictions and then get annoyed if your freedom, education or income is taken away.
As I said before. We aren't even that limited, you can go on holiday, you can meet your friends, you can go to pubs. There very few things that we are restricted from doing. Additional, as I said before, this effects everyone, apart from babys and toddlers, everyone is effected. Children and students not getting their education, adults losing their jobs or being unable to earn money. That's not 1% of the population. It seems a bit stupid to complain that you can't go to uni or work but then flaunt restrictions and then get annoyed if your freedom, education or income is taken away.

We are in fact quite limited on our personal freedoms which can now be taken away at a moments notice with no parliamentary oversight. Businesses can be forced to close without any kind of forewarning. Our civil liberties such as freedom to worship, assemble and privacy have been curtailed more than any other point in our history.

We are even having judges removed from cases for criticising the Government and that is an incredibly dangerous position to find ourselves in when the judiciary are supposed to be separate from state.

Children aren't getting their education and adults are losing their jobs because of the mass hysteria, they are in the 99% who are being penalised to protect the 1% at risk.

The sensible thing to have done is to have kept the at risk people out of public life, but unfortunately the at risk group are the Government's core voters.
We are in fact quite limited on our personal freedoms which can now be taken away at a moments notice with no parliamentary oversight. Businesses can be forced to close without any kind of forewarning. Our civil liberties such as freedom to worship, assemble and privacy have been curtailed more than any other point in our history.

We are even having judges removed from cases for criticising the Government and that is an incredibly dangerous position to find ourselves in when the judiciary are supposed to be separate from state.

Children aren't getting their education and adults are losing their jobs because of the mass hysteria, they are in the 99% who are being penalised to protect the 1% at risk.

The sensible thing to have done is to have kept the at risk people out of public life, but unfortunately the at risk group are the Government's core voters.

Exactly. If you don't want to lose your freedom just stand 2 m apart from people, wear a mask, don't be dumb and go to an overcrowded pub or restaurant. The point is that those freedoms were taken away because people didn't care about getting sick. Everyone always talks about inclusion and people shouldn't be treated differently but that's exactly what you're suggesting. Why should a kid miss out on their education because they're mother is at risk when all of they're friends get to go to school? Why should your children go hungry because you have diabetes when all your co workers can work? That means people get discriminated against due to things they can't control. But no, Those people should suffer because people want to go clubbing? I understand that there are flaws to my argument, why should all kids miss rather then just a few kids? But there are no ideal solution. You have to put yourself in the shoes of those who it impacts most. How would you feel if you lost your job because someone couldn't sit 2 meters away from their friend. It's just simple social responsibility, I'm not saying hide in your house until it blows over but you just need to have some care for others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending