The Student Room Group

Ordinary Nursing Degree

Hello,
I have finished university with an ordinary level adult nursing degree as I failed my dissertation (I passed everything else). In the uni that I attended this does not entitle me to an NMC registration PIN. My Uni are very unhelpful in helping me move forward.
If anyone can answer the following questions i would be very appreciative.
1. What can i do with an ordinary level degree without an NMC pin?
2. What Band would I have from this?
3. Am I still only a healthcare assistant after the 3 years?
4. Is there a way that i could work in a ward to get my PIN?

I really hope somebody can help me as I am very desperate for information!
Thank you in advance,
Sophia
Original post by Sophia4511
Hello,
I have finished university with an ordinary level adult nursing degree as I failed my dissertation (I passed everything else). In the uni that I attended this does not entitle me to an NMC registration PIN. My Uni are very unhelpful in helping me move forward.
If anyone can answer the following questions i would be very appreciative.
1. What can i do with an ordinary level degree without an NMC pin?
2. What Band would I have from this?
3. Am I still only a healthcare assistant after the 3 years?
4. Is there a way that i could work in a ward to get my PIN?

I really hope somebody can help me as I am very desperate for information!
Thank you in advance,
Sophia

1. You may be able to apply for jobs that require a degree in life sciences.
2. You would be able to work at band 2, 3 or 4 (depending on experience). The degree itself would not entitle you to work at a higher band, this would be through experience/promotion.
3. Yes. You may be able to work as a more senior HCA with more responsibilities but you cannot work as a nurse in any capacity without NMC registration.
4. Essentially, no. In order to get your NMC registration you need to complete an approved course at a HE institution. Once you complete the course, the uni will then put you forward for registration. The university agrees criteria with the NMC in terms of what their students will achieve - for you this includes a dissertation. If you fail to complete the dissertation then the university cannot put you forward for registration.If your current uni is unhelpful then you may be able to transfer elsewhere to repeat your 3rd year - although this would need to be discussed with potential unis. I would suggest also speaking to your students union to check what you are entitled to at your current uni - normally you can have one resit at least.
Hello

The very same thing happened to me as posted on my profile. May I ask what has happened since? I've been suffering with depression after all of this
Hi Sophie, what did you end up doing with your degree? im from Australia with a nursing science degree but no PIN, just wondering on my options?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending