The Student Room Group

My sister was raped at uni nearly a year ago and is still struggling

I'm really worried about my sister she was raped during freshers week and is still suffering and is either crying or hides away she did make a complaint at her university but because they fobbed her off it went no further I try and help her but she pushes me away all the time the only time she opened up was to confide that she was raped and the guy who did it his mates called her a slut what do I do?
wht uni is this?
Reply 2
Support her and try to get her to reach out to a professional. Other than that it is not your place to do anything.
I’m so sorry your sister had to go through this. I suggest maybe taking her to a counsellor. She may feel better to talk to someone who she hasn’t seen before, and plus she can offer some professional advice on how to overcome this because it seems like she might be experiencing PTSD which is completely normal for someone who has gone through what she has x
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
wht uni is this?

Was at Sheffield uni
Was at Sheffield uni

tht's vile tht they did nothing to help and just fobbed her off!
Reply 6
tht's vile tht they did nothing to help and just fobbed her off!

Cuz she had a few to drink they assumed she was drunk and her fault
I'm really worried about my sister she was raped during freshers week and is still suffering and is either crying or hides away she did make a complaint at her university but because they fobbed her off it went no further I try and help her but she pushes me away all the time the only time she opened up was to confide that she was raped and the guy who did it his mates called her a slut what do I do?

this makes me really scared for uni. How do I avoid this situation?

I really hope your sister recovers, what a terrible terrible thing to go through
Reply 8
this makes me really scared for uni. How do I avoid this situation?

I really hope your sister recovers, what a terrible terrible thing to go through

And me I was planning to go now I am having doubts
She should speak to a professional. Unfortunately - even with proper help - it can take considerably longer than a year to deal with that sort of thing.
Original post by Theloniouss
She should speak to a professional. Unfortunately - even with proper help - it can take considerably longer than a year to deal with that sort of thing.

Think you are right at uni she was just tossed aside and in the end she dropped out
Reply 11
Rape is a criminal matter and for the police to investigate, not university staff. Whilst there'll be no evidence she can still report it, and there's always a possibility she may not be the only one.

Did she see a doctor at the time? If not, she should still get tested now if no protection was used as some STDs can be asymptomatic. She should also see a counsellor; she needs professional help. Until she can get that arranged, there's information in here with contact details of helplines:
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/sexual-health/help-after-rape-and-sexual-assault/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending