The Student Room Group

Law or writing? Torn apart, help please.

Cannot decide wether I should study law or take English/ literature. Both professions - writing and barristing (if u can call it that) seem very interesting to me.

Some more info: I’d love be a writer in the classical sense of this word, which is though a risky business, bc who knows how life will go and fame can only come at the age of 80. Law seems like a more stable career, a little bit less interesting for me, but still fairly interesting.

What would be a better choice and is it possible to combine the two?
I would say Law is definitely more stable than English, however it is very very competitive, even to study. If you have the interest and the grades, Law can give strong earning potential and an interesting career. However, if you are interested in writing, it may be worth looking into journalism or broadcasting as there may be wider job roles you can fit around English.

Sophie - Official Student Rep :smile:
Law - logical, predictable, learning about procedures and rules, reading lots of technical text.
English Lit / Creative Writing - creative, unpredictable, more free-flowing/flexible. reading literature and critical texts.

Which one is more you?

Or Law with English : https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/330/law-and-english-literature
If its an 'LLB' degree its a qualifying Law degree accepted by the Law Council.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending