The Student Room Group

Second year student nurse

Sigh.... So currently I’m on my final placement for my second year adult nursing course. I have 3 weeks left in this placement and tbh I don’t feel like I’m competent or ready to go to year 3. The skills and clinical knowledge you need in year 3 is something I don’t have. I feel like a complete novice, like as if I’m in year1 . I’m dreading going to placement next year and not knowing who to do or how to do it because I don’t have the expertise or experience.Covid has completely messed my year 2 experience because my first placement was going well , but in March when I had my second placement scheduled , it was cancelled due to Covid , as some hospitals weren’t taking in students. So I’ve literally jumped from the start of the year to now the end , and that makes it very stressful and challenging because I don’t feel like I’ve met any skills and standards . Idk what to do , so I would highly appreciate if I could get some advice or help.

Thanks.
Reply 1
its normal to feel that way. obviously covid has made it work. year 3 is when it clicks.
Reply 2
Original post by Mariya112
Sigh.... So currently I’m on my final placement for my second year adult nursing course. I have 3 weeks left in this placement and tbh I don’t feel like I’m competent or ready to go to year 3. The skills and clinical knowledge you need in year 3 is something I don’t have. I feel like a complete novice, like as if I’m in year1 . I’m dreading going to placement next year and not knowing who to do or how to do it because I don’t have the expertise or experience.Covid has completely messed my year 2 experience because my first placement was going well , but in March when I had my second placement scheduled , it was cancelled due to Covid , as some hospitals weren’t taking in students. So I’ve literally jumped from the start of the year to now the end , and that makes it very stressful and challenging because I don’t feel like I’ve met any skills and standards . Idk what to do , so I would highly appreciate if I could get some advice or help.

Thanks.

Firstly, as paub says, 3rd year is where it really starts to make sense.
Secondly, as far as I'm aware, the NMC haven't suddenly become lenient on the amount of practice hours you need to do. This means that you still have time in practice to learn.
I finished 1st year feeling like I wasn't ready for 2nd, same with 2nd into 3rd year - however there's no way that my mentors would have signed me off for the year if I wasn't working at an appropriate level.
Placement areas should be aware that you've had a big break from placement. Keep asking questions and you'll be fine. Some of my colleagues have been qualified 25+ years and still ask questions now :smile:
True as long term nurses are still asking questions to those who are just starting there careers as a nurse as I'm similar to that and I'm 10 years as a nurse.
Most of us when we where students felt like how you are Mariya112 but this year has been extra difficult for all of us nurses and students .
I found back in my training days the late second & third year more intensive in learning things as a nurse.
Year on student placement was cancelled uk wide and went to online learning for those and second & third years a students had the opportunities to take up paid jobs on a temporary contract as part of there studying as otherwise they would had lost out in learning.
Don't feel you aren't ready for your third year cause of lack of placements as Emily said NMC has took this into account for the students this year so best thing to do is keep asking the qualified nurses questions and they will be helpful to you and look forward to your third and final year as a student nurse and then get yourself a job and enjoy your nursing career.

Also you can ask any of the qualified nurses on here for any help & advice if you want to as I'm sure we will be willing to help .
Original post by Mariya112

Thanks.

Original post by Emily_B
Firstly, as paub says, 3rd year is where it really starts to make sense.
Secondly, as far as I'm aware, the NMC haven't suddenly become lenient on the amount of practice hours you need to do. This means that you still have time in practice to learn.
I finished 1st year feeling like I wasn't ready for 2nd, same with 2nd into 3rd year - however there's no way that my mentors would have signed me off for the year if I wasn't working at an appropriate level.
Placement areas should be aware that you've had a big break from placement. Keep asking questions and you'll be fine. Some of my colleagues have been qualified 25+ years and still ask questions now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending