The Student Room Group

History A Level Coursework

Hello! :smile:))

I am a year 13 student and I am wondering if anybody could help me. I am starting Russian Coursework and my first draft has to be in by the end of October and I have not started it yet ://. My question is: How do I pick out primary and secondary sources to look at and how to actually start the coursework??

Thank you so much for your time :smile:

Xxx
Reply 1
Original post by EllieroseFarmer

I am a year 13 student and I am wondering if anybody could help me. I am starting Russian Coursework and my first draft has to be in by the end of October and I have not started it yet ://. My question is: How do I pick out primary and secondary sources to look at and how to actually start the coursework??

Xxx

I did Russia for my coursework last year! What’s the specific focus of your coursework? My question was ‘How far was the collapse of Tsarism a result of the Tsars themselves in the years 1797 1917?’

If you want I could give you examples of some primary and secondary sources I used??? 😊
Thank you for replying :smile:))

Our foucus is Russia 1855-1964.

My question is “To what extent was the emancipation of the Serfs a key turning point in the development of Russia?” or my other option is “The leadership of the Bolsheviks differed little to that if the Tsars they replace. To what extent to you agree with this judgment”

And yes thank you that would be really helpful

Xxx
Reply 3

My question is “To what extent was the emancipation of the Serfs a key turning point in the development of Russia?” or my other option is “The leadership of the Bolsheviks differed little to that if the Tsars they replace. To what extent to you agree with this judgment”

Xxx

Idk how helpful these will be but some books I used were:

- The Russian Revolution, 1899-1919 by Richard Pipes
- Towards the Flame: Empire, War and the End of Tsarist Russia by Dominic Lieven
- Russia in the Age of Reaction and Reform, 1801-1881 by David Saunders
- The End of Imperial Russia, 1855-1917 by Peter Waldron
- Endurance and Endeavour: Russian History, 1812-1980 by J.N. Westwood
- The Making of Modern Russia by Kochan and Abraham
- Russia: A History and Interpretation by Michael Florinsky
- A People’s Tragedy: The Russian Revolution 1891-1924 by Orlando Figes
- The Great Retreat: The Growth and Decline of Communism in Russia by Nicholas Timasheff
- An Economic History of Russia, 1856-1914 by W.E. Mosse
Reply 4

Xxx

Now for sources:

- “The sovereign has betrayed the hopes of the people; the freedom he has given them is not real and is not what people dreamed of and need… We do not need a Tsar, or an emperor… we want to have as our head an ordinary mortal, a man of soil, who understands life and the people who have elected him.” - Extract from a Pamphlet written by the Radicals Mikhailov and Sheleunov after the Emancipation Edict (September 1861)

- “We shed our blood [against Napoleon] and now we are forced once more to sweat under feudal obligations. We freed the fatherland from the tyrant, and now we ourselves are tyrannised over by the ruling-class… Did we free Europe in order to be put in chains ourselves? Did we grant France a constitution in order that we dare not talk about it, and did we buy at the price of our blood pre-eminence among nations in order that we might be humiliated at home?” - Extract from a Speech by Alexander Bestuzhev to Nicholas I (1825)

- “There is a marked increase in hostile feelings among the peasants not only against the government but also against all other social groups. The proletariat of the capital is on the verge of despair. The mass of industrial workers are quite ready to let themselves go to the wildest excesses of a hunger riot.” - Extract from an Okhrana Report (January 1917)

I’m not sure how useful these will be considering your potential questions but they’re here anyway
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by iseult01
Idk how helpful these will be but some books I used were:

- The Russian Revolution, 1899-1919 by Richard Pipes
- Towards the Flame: Empire, War and the End of Tsarist Russia by Dominic Lieven
- Russia in the Age of Reaction and Reform, 1801-1881 by David Saunders
- The End of Imperial Russia, 1855-1917 by Peter Waldron
- Endurance and Endeavour: Russian History, 1812-1980 by J.N. Westwood
- The Making of Modern Russia by Kochan and Abraham
- Russia: A History and Interpretation by Michael Florinsky
- A People’s Tragedy: The Russian Revolution 1891-1924 by Orlando Figes
- The Great Retreat: The Growth and Decline of Communism in Russia by Nicholas Timasheff
- An Economic History of Russia, 1856-1914 by W.E. Mosse

Thank you so much for this!! You’re so kind. I will have a look at the books and sources you have sent through.

Thank you loads 😊😊
Reply 6
Thank you so much for this!! You’re so kind. I will have a look at the books and sources you have sent through.

Thank you loads 😊😊

No problem and good luck!
Original post by iseult01
I did Russia for my coursework last year! What’s the specific focus of your coursework? My question was ‘How far was the collapse of Tsarism a result of the Tsars themselves in the years 1797 1917?’

If you want I could give you examples of some primary and secondary sources I used??? 😊

hey by any chance did you go laswap? also what 2 historians did you use
Original post by user1938444434
hey by any chance did you go laswap? also what 2 historians did you use

I did! I used Richard Pipes and Dominic Lieven
Reply 9
Original post by bryceq22

yes please, could you give the examples of the primary and secondary sources, thank you so much :smile:
Hello,
I'm basically doing the same question you did and I was wondering what your opposing arguments were?
Thankyou!
Hi, I'm doing the same question as you! Do you know where you got those sources from??

Xxx

I would advice you to pick a good thesis, find the sources by doing an annotated bibliography, write an outline of the key areas and then work on the draft. With the draft, it will be easy for you to write the final draft.

Latest