The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Why is UCL soo far ahead of Cambridge in... EVERY SINGLE RESEARCH/ACADEMIC RANKING?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by *****deadness
I've seen OP worshipping LSE too, and I think I see another pattern: an attention seeker's obsession with university names with all caps. Just give a good stare at that overhyped title

Plus LSE counts as double curvy because of the S.
OP is not completely invalid in his points, however it is hard to not feel like there is an Anti-Oxbridge agenda he carries by constantly pitting Oxbridge against his London trinity (LSE,UCL & ICL( maybe also KCL)).
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 21
Original post by ashtolga23
I've never paid enough attention. Now you've brought it up, those letters do be looking pretty fine... 👀

Going to make me act up.
Reply 22
Guardian rankings are 100% worthless since they take into account student satisfaction with the course, career outcomes, student to staff ratio, satisfaction with teaching etc. I'm only talking about academic/scientific research rankings.

Original post by Ray3RE
Plus LSE counts as double curvy because of the S.
OP is not completely invalid in his points, however it is hard to not feel like there is an Anti-Oxbridge agenda he carries by constantly pitting Oxbridge against his London trinity (LSE,UCL & ICL( maybe also KCL)).

London Business School is the best for business by far, and many other departments are also better such as the Sussex department for development studies.

I have never said anything against Oxbridge except when it comes to Oxbridge apartheid or Oxbridge's vicious hegemony. Looking at your post history it's obvious you're really really into Cambridge and are dying to be a part of it. You don't care about research rankings just the brand name.

Go back to Cambridge threads if you can't make meaningful or insightful contributions to the topic at hand. No need to spoil this thread by attacking and trying to degrade the best unis.
Original post by tsrholicc
Guardian rankings are 100% worthless since they take into account student satisfaction with the course, career outcomes, student to staff ratio, satisfaction with teaching etc. I'm only talking about academic/scientific research rankings.

Why would an undergraduate be concerned about a university's research quality over those other things?

London Business School is the best for business by far, and many other departments are also better such as the Sussex department for development studies.

Cambridge doesn't offer a business course, so that is unsurprising.
Reply 24
Original post by Theloniouss

It does actually. Cambridge Judge Business School is the business school of the University of Cambridge. It's graduates are significantly less valuable than those of the London Business School.
It does actually. Cambridge Judge Business School is the business school of the University of Cambridge. It's graduates are significantly less valuable than those of the London Business School.

Yeah, but only as a Part II after you've finished a regular BA (or two years of one). If you were minded to get a degree in Business, Cambridge would not be the first university you looked at.
Reply 26

I have never said anything against Oxbridge except when it comes to Oxbridge apartheid or Oxbridge's vicious hegemony. Looking at your post history it's obvious you're really really into Cambridge and are dying to be a part of it. You don't care about research rankings just the brand name.

Go back to Cambridge threads if you can't make meaningful or insightful contributions to the topic at hand. No need to spoil this thread by attacking and trying to degrade the best unis.

Ah but OP your argument has fallen apart, or well your baseless attack of my attempts to get into Cambridge have. I myself am the testament to that, firstly I would love to go to LSE. In fact my sole reason for not applying is that my proximity to the school would mean the only sensible thing for me to do would be to commute which I have no intention of doing.

Secondly, I immerse myself in whatever school I am considering applying to which is why if you spent the same amount of effort trying to find other universities in my history you would see that I commit just as much to participating in other Universities. However your tirade against Oxbridge fails to acknowledge that it is irrelevant about the research stats, rankings etc. the fact that you could give all those stats and people would still regard Oxbridge as higher shows the power of their prestige, you're fighting a losing battle, and regardless of raking no one should be berated for aspiring to such highly regarded institutions.

Thirdly, you couldn't be more right, I couldn't care less about research (not least because I'm going to be an undergrad) and finally caring about brand isn't a half bad plan, ask those London Business School students you revere, I'm sure many of them would tell you that brand is everything.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk. Also I would never degrade LSE, I was simply admiring those curves. :wink:
Reply 27
Why would an undergraduate be concerned about a university's research quality over those other things?

Maybe OP thinks I am really keen on research, I am interested in wealth acquisition (or rich people) and conducted my own research into which academic institutions produced the most wealthy graduates on avg. Turns out it was Oxbridge (followed by LSE) but don't let OP find out he would have a field day.
Reply 28
Yeah, but only as a Part II after you've finished a regular BA (or two years of one). If you were minded to get a degree in Business, Cambridge would not be the first university you looked at.

Yeah you definitely wouldn't wanna look at Cambridge first!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending