The Student Room Group

International university of Geneva

How’s it studying as an international student ,who’s done A levels , in Switzerland ? For the ones who picked dentistry
Im also applying from Switzerland. Each university has a required grade requirement and those translate to specific grades in the Swiss Maturitäts Diploma. If im not wrong ABB for example is an overall average of 4.5 here in Switzerland. A-levels aren't important we can register with grades we receive in our Matura
Original post by mh2410
How’s it studying as an international student ,who’s done A levels , in Switzerland ? For the ones who picked dentistry

Geneva is a nice place, studying at the national Université de Genève is pretty good, with state fees of around 600 Francs per year. It’s a “traditional” uni, traditional courses.

the IUN place in Meyrin suburb that you mentioned (in this thread headline) I never noticed it when I lived in Geneva, and I wasn’t surprised to see that it’s a private university, with fees around 40K Francs, or around £30000 per year. https://www.iun.ch/en-en/admissions/Undergraduate/tuition-fees

is that worth it?, remember that additionally accommodation is fairly expensive in Geneva, but eventually you can find a place. ( For ÈPFL in Lausanne, I had to stay in a hotel for 3 months, until I found a bed)

I suggest you do more research, as IUN only do these programmes at undergrad:-
Bachelor of Business Administration ( BBA)
BSc (Hons) Business Management (Plymouth University)
Bachelor of Arts in International Relations (BA-IR)
Bachelor of Arts in Digital Media (BA-DM)
Bachelor of International Management (BA-IM)
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (BSc-CS)
English as a Second Language Program - ESL

not a Dentist course in sight?
So perhaps you are talking about the UniGE, the state university, it does Medicine & dentistry.
(Perhaps only in French at undergrad level? “diplôme fédéral de médecin ou médecin dentiste”)

Entry to ‘normal’ courses at UniGE basically require a ‘pass’ at school leaving exams, I was offered entry with 70% at European Baccalaureate 7 eBac, where the approx average is 75% or 7.5 for each year, very stable. That’s probably BBB in A level, but, Medecine courses can have much higher requirements, and good French.

Geneva is a great place to learn French, as it’s spoken very clearly and perhaps a bit slower than in Paris.

https://www.unige.ch/medecine/dentaire/fr/a/ French faculty of dentistry in Geneva
http://bachelors.unige.ch/ Undergraduate courses at UniGE
Reply 4
Original post by pinkturtle123
Im also applying from Switzerland. Each university has a required grade requirement and those translate to specific grades in the Swiss Maturitäts Diploma. If im not wrong ABB for example is an overall average of 4.5 here in Switzerland. A-levels aren't important we can register with grades we receive in our Matura

Hello , so you’re applying for medicine ? In French ? When I inquired, they said we have to present a certificate that parents are working in Switzerland otherwise it’s not possible to study
Reply 5
Original post by LuigiMario
Geneva is a nice place, studying at the national Université de Genève is pretty good, with state fees of around 600 Francs per year. It’s a “traditional” uni, traditional courses.

the IUN place in Meyrin suburb that you mentioned (in this thread headline) I never noticed it when I lived in Geneva, and I wasn’t surprised to see that it’s a private university, with fees around 40K Francs, or around £30000 per year. https://www.iun.ch/en-en/admissions/Undergraduate/tuition-fees

is that worth it?, remember that additionally accommodation is fairly expensive in Geneva, but eventually you can find a place. ( For ÈPFL in Lausanne, I had to stay in a hotel for 3 months, until I found a bed)

Thank you , I’m interested in dentistry only .
Reply 6

Thank you , I’m interested in dentistry only .

So perhaps you are talking about the UniGE, the state university, it does Medicine & dentistry.
(Perhaps only in French at undergrad level? “diplôme fédéral de médecin ou médecin dentiste”)

Entry to ‘normal’ courses at UniGE basically require a ‘pass’ at school leaving exams, I was offered entry with 70% at European Baccalaureate 7 eBac, where the approx average is 75% or 7.5 for each year, very stable. That’s probably BBB in A level, but, Medecine courses can have much higher requirements, and good French.

Geneva is a great place to learn French, as it’s spoken very clearly and perhaps a bit slower than in Paris.

https://www.unige.ch/medecine/dentaire/fr/a/ French faculty of dentistry in Geneva
http://bachelors.unige.ch/ Undergraduate courses at UniGE

Original post by mh2410
Hello , so you’re applying for medicine ? In French ? When I inquired, they said we have to present a certificate that parents are working in Switzerland otherwise it’s not possible to studya

Thank you
For ÈPFL in engineering, just had to pay the 600Frs fee, and have a 75% or so pass at school leaving certificate. I suppose the medicine thing is a bit nationalistic, in general Switzerland is mildly nationalistic. They have amazing hospitals, health-care, health-insurance etc and not enough nurses!
I live a few minutes away from Ticino in southern Switzerland and there are queues of “frontaliers” (border-workers) driving across the european border every-day, to get half to two thirds of a Swiss salary, but it’s still better than a UK/EU salary. A lot of these are nurses, I’d agree that most doctors I meet in CH are local, but they’ve often done stints abroad in the USA etc.

Anyway, for subjects other than medicine, just apply, costs 50Frs.
Geneva has slightly lower grades needed than Lausanne & Zürich. The most expensive uni is the hospitality university in Glion, Valais Had some friends go there.
Check if you really need this ‘letter of work’, it might vary from canton to canton?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending