The Student Room Group

Python / Computer Science

Hi everyone,
Having just finished my resits I've decided to start learning python as in the future I've heard it will be on the list of skills in high demand and would like to learn a bit more about it. Can anyone with some experience in the field of knowledge of the benefits of learning it give me some info, like the best websites to learn and all the uses for it in society today. Thanks
Learn Visual Basic instead, it's the best language! 😭😂😂😂😭
Original post by barry24
Hi everyone,
Having just finished my resits I've decided to start learning python as in the future I've heard it will be on the list of skills in high demand and would like to learn a bit more about it. Can anyone with some experience in the field of knowledge of the benefits of learning it give me some info, like the best websites to learn and all the uses for it in society today. Thanks

Python, like Java and C languages, are in high demand now and this is likely to continue. Of course we cannot predict the future, so who knows what will be in demand in 5 or 10 years.

In terms of the best materials, that depends how you want to learn. You can buy a textbook or watch YouTube videos and follow along. You can use a more interactive method like Codecademy. There's no one "best" method, it depends how you want to learn and what sort of experience you have.

In terms of uses, the list is far too long to provide here. But it's used in web apps, data science and AI to name a few. You're free to Google for more information.
Reply 3
Original post by AcseI
Python, like Java and C languages, are in high demand now and this is likely to continue. Of course we cannot predict the future, so who knows what will be in demand in 5 or 10 years.

In terms of the best materials, that depends how you want to learn. You can buy a textbook or watch YouTube videos and follow along. You can use a more interactive method like Codecademy. There's no one "best" method, it depends how you want to learn and what sort of experience you have.

In terms of uses, the list is far too long to provide here. But it's used in web apps, data science and AI to name a few. You're free to Google for more information.

Thanks for your help, I'll get to it
Reply 4
Original post by barry24
Thanks for your help, I'll get to it

check udemy as well.

with the discounts they offer i think it would be better value that codecdemy, looking at their prices.

I mean, it looks like they offer a free package at codecdemy as well but it looks quite basic from the amount of stuff crossed out when compared to other packages ...and probably isn't going to sufficient imo.
Original post by ANM775
check udemy as well.

with the discounts they offer i think it would be better value that codecdemy, looking at their prices.

I mean, it looks like they offer a free package at codecdemy as well but it looks quite basic from the amount of stuff crossed out when compared to other packages ...and probably isn't going to sufficient imo.

Udemy is great if you just want to learn and not apply what you learn as you are just watching videos. Bearing in mind, there are a few people who do offer assignments as part of their course material in udemy.

Code academy is basically free to learn and you can apply what you learn more easily. However in the free version it is too easy to cheat as you can just ask for a hint and that would be the answer. Also I've never tried the pro version but im assuming most of the features would be the same with maybe a few more additional features for practice.

It depends how you learn tho as there is no best way.
if youre looking to get into python id suggest "automate the boring stuff with python book", gives you a good intro and actually helps you automate stuff, for example, I've made a script that organises my downloads folder by file type with different subfolders, and the knowledge i used was just from that book.
Reply 7
Original post by dj_ad_1
Udemy is great if you just want to learn and not apply what you learn as you are just watching videos. Bearing in mind, there are a few people who do offer assignments as part of their course material in udemy.

Code academy is basically free to learn and you can apply what you learn more easily. However in the free version it is too easy to cheat as you can just ask for a hint and that would be the answer. Also I've never tried the pro version but im assuming most of the features would be the same with maybe a few more additional features for practice.

It depends how you learn tho as there is no best way.

https://www.udemy.com/course/complete-python-bootcamp/

Just bought this since it was only £15 with the discount, lots of content on youtube aswell whilst looking and no harm in learning, maybe when I've learned the basics I'll get a course with application
Reply 8
Original post by Gent2324
if youre looking to get into python id suggest "automate the boring stuff with python book", gives you a good intro and actually helps you automate stuff, for example, I've made a script that organises my downloads folder by file type with different subfolders, and the knowledge i used was just from that book.

Thanks I'll check it out
Original post by barry24
https://www.udemy.com/course/complete-python-bootcamp/

Just bought this since it was only £15 with the discount, lots of content on youtube aswell whilst looking and no harm in learning, maybe when I've learned the basics I'll get a course with application

Thats good do this one as well https://www.udemy.com/course/learn-python-3-step-by-step/
I did the C programming one a few months ago it was really good he has a few assignments which are good practice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending