The Student Room Group

Am I being immature?

Okay so I’ve never been in a relationship until now and I’m not sure if this is okay or not.

I find it really hard to talk about when I’m not doing great and I think that might be why this is bugging me so much. I couldn’t stop crying last night because my cats have passed away and i miss them a crazy amount. I messaged my girlfriend to tell her that I was feeling really sad tonight and she talked to me for like 5 minutes and then she said she was going to sleep. I’d understand if she’d had a hard day, but we’d just gotten off call and she said she’d had a good day and was happy. It’s just if she messaged me that she was feeling bad I’d be willing to stay up all night to try and make her feel better. I didn’t expect her to do that at all, but it kind of hurts that she wouldn’t do that too.

I don’t know if I’m just being over dramatic and making a big deal out of nothing. I want to try talk to her about it but I don’t want to make a fuss. I’m not sure what to do
Original post by Anonymous
Okay so I’ve never been in a relationship until now and I’m not sure if this is okay or not.

I find it really hard to talk about when I’m not doing great and I think that might be why this is bugging me so much. I couldn’t stop crying last night because my cats have passed away and i miss them a crazy amount. I messaged my girlfriend to tell her that I was feeling really sad tonight and she talked to me for like 5 minutes and then she said she was going to sleep. I’d understand if she’d had a hard day, but we’d just gotten off call and she said she’d had a good day and was happy. It’s just if she messaged me that she was feeling bad I’d be willing to stay up all night to try and make her feel better. I didn’t expect her to do that at all, but it kind of hurts that she wouldn’t do that too.

I don’t know if I’m just being over dramatic and making a big deal out of nothing. I want to try talk to her about it but I don’t want to make a fuss. I’m not sure what to do

sorry to hear, that does sound difficult.

I dont think you're immature, you're rightfully sad and want some comforting from one of the people closest to you.

I think the first step is definitely to bring it up to her. Tell her how you feel and why you feel that way. Maybe she didn't realise you were as sad as you are? Or maybe she is repressing some emotions herself and cannot emotionally be there at the moment. And this is only something you will know once you have that conversation.
Reply 2
Original post by bebsbobs
sorry to hear, that does sound difficult.

I dont think you're immature, you're rightfully sad and want some comforting from one of the people closest to you.

I think the first step is definitely to bring it up to her. Tell her how you feel and why you feel that way. Maybe she didn't realise you were as sad as you are? Or maybe she is repressing some emotions herself and cannot emotionally be there at the moment. And this is only something you will know once you have that conversation.

Thanks so much:smile: I’ll message her now
Hi there, sorry to hear about the loss of your cats.
Firstly, you are not immature for feeling upset or in a bad way. Losing pets can feel the same as losing a family member. It is traumatic and heart breaking and you should absolutely let those emotions out.
Did you explicitly ask your girlfriend to stay up and talk to you? If she's regularly refusing to offer you support, you are right to be saddened by that. But you should also consider that if she doesn't know you want her company, she might not know to stay. Definitely talk to her about how you're feeling.
Also, you say she's happy and not had a bad day, but unless you've spent the entire day with her and witnessed everything she's been through, you do not know that. Just remember she may have all sorts of things going on that she hasn't shared with you and she may have been in a bad place to be dealing with your trauma as well as her own. Sometimes, people do have to worry about themselves first.
Reply 4
Maybe your girlfriend doesn't understand how much your cats mean to you. If I read it right, you'd been on a phone call, then messaged her to say you were sad, so if you didn't mention it previously you can see why she just had a quick chat, and at least she did that for you.

It's not immature to be upset at losing pets, so talk to her and how you feel, but I don't think you should make too much of her reaction. And I mean talk, on the phone; messaging doesn't convey the proper sense.
I am sorry u are going thru this. Losing cats is terrible. They r very great beings.

Ur sense of loss is not matched by her feelings. Maybe she doesn't understand how valuable the cats were? Is she a cat-girl? Maybe she does not believe that cats are affectionate and loving and are real family members.
I think it sounds like you're putting more into the relationship than she is

A relationship should be the same both ways however stereotypically guys aren't very emotional are they ? i'm assuming your a guy so it's good that you feel comfortable enough to try and talk to her about the way you feel but if she doesn't extend the same politeness and interest in you than you do for her I say you either confront her about it or potentially end things if you don't think she is trying enough however before you try anything just remember their are genuine people out their who will care about things like this and if you ever need to talk my pm's are always open . I hope this helps

Hm. I understand your frustration. Any loss is horrible. I do not think you are overreacting, your girlfriend should have spent more time with you than just 5 minutes especially if she knows you are upset. It seems like you are putting more effort into the relationship than your girlfriend. You could talk to her about it and ask her why she had to go so soon. I don't know what you would ask/ talk to her about. What are you thinking of saying to her?
Reply 9
Original post by Always_Confused
Hi there, sorry to hear about the loss of your cats.
Firstly, you are not immature for feeling upset or in a bad way. Losing pets can feel the same as losing a family member. It is traumatic and heart breaking and you should absolutely let those emotions out.
Did you explicitly ask your girlfriend to stay up and talk to you? If she's regularly refusing to offer you support, you are right to be saddened by that. But you should also consider that if she doesn't know you want her company, she might not know to stay. Definitely talk to her about how you're feeling.
Also, you say she's happy and not had a bad day, but unless you've spent the entire day with her and witnessed everything she's been through, you do not know that. Just remember she may have all sorts of things going on that she hasn't shared with you and she may have been in a bad place to be dealing with your trauma as well as her own. Sometimes, people do have to worry about themselves first.

Hi, thank you. Definitely, I never realised how much it would hurt until it happened so I understand that she wouldn’t either. We had a chat and everything’s good now, she said she feels awful and didn’t realise how sad I was about it. And you’re very right about that, I just really hope she tells me if she isn’t feeling very good.
Original post by StopRightThere
Hm. I understand your frustration. Any loss is horrible. I do not think you are overreacting, your girlfriend should have spent more time with you than just 5 minutes especially if she knows you are upset. It seems like you are putting more effort into the relationship than your girlfriend. You could talk to her about it and ask her why she had to go so soon. I don't know what you would ask/ talk to her about. What are you thinking of saying to her?

Thank you, she said she didn’t realise how upset I was or else she would’ve stayed longer. She just wanted to sleep because she had work in the morning and that made me feel really bad about wanting her to stay up later. I just told her I was kind of upset with her and we had a talk about it from then :smile:
Original post by SlytherinSoul
A relationship should be the same both ways however stereotypically guys aren't very emotional are they ? i'm assuming your a guy so it's good that you feel comfortable enough to try and talk to her about the way you feel but if she doesn't extend the same politeness and interest in you than you do for her I say you either confront her about it or potentially end things if you don't think she is trying enough however before you try anything just remember their are genuine people out their who will care about things like this and if you ever need to talk my pm's are always open . I hope this helps

Oh no I’m a girl but thanks so much:smile: we had a chat and everything’s good again

Immature?????
Are u crazy son??
You are just being like any other human would do
Don't doubt yourself
You are a great person
Everyone cries and loses ppl/stuff
Nothing immature on that because it is what we humans are
We cry laugh get angry
It is in our blood

P.S Damn RIP your cats :frown:
I like cats. I feel sorry for your loss but don't forget everyone goes through losses
Thank you, she said she didn’t realise how upset I was or else she would’ve stayed longer. She just wanted to sleep because she had work in the morning and that made me feel really bad about wanting her to stay up later. I just told her I was kind of upset with her and we had a talk about it from then :smile:

I'm so glad everything worked out!
Oh no I’m a girl but thanks so much:smile: we had a chat and everything’s good again

glad i could help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending