The Student Room Group

How to explain bad GCSEs in personal statement?

So long story short, I got very mediocre grades in my GCSEs and am taking a very unconvential route towards studying Biology at uni. Basically I got a C in GCSE Biology and failed Physics and Chemistry completely. But I do genuinely have an interest in Biology, I just really had no care for my studies during the time in which I did my GCSEs (I got the C in biology with doing absolutely 0 revision or preperation).

Anyhow, I'm now 19 and doing an access course in biochemistry to get into biology at a top russell group uni. Obviously I feel like I will have to somehow explain to them why I am now looking to get into biology, despite almost failing it at GCSEs (just got a C and failed physics & chemistry), and I also did a completely unrelated BTEC afterwards which I just chose because it seemed easy (Business). So, what's the best way to go about this? Do I straight up say in the personal statement that I was a lazy student when I was younger, but after taking a gap year I truly have a passion to succeed in my studies (this is the truth, I am working really hard on my access course right now and am actually keen to educate myself on human biology!)

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
No, your personal statement is not the place to explain past academic performance. You should use that space to demonstrate your passion for biology by talking through any super-curriculars you've done, not making excuses.
Reply 2
Original post by hajima
No, your personal statement is not the place to explain past academic performance. You should use that space to demonstrate your passion for biology by talking through any super-curriculars you've done, not making excuses.

Ok thanks. In terms of extra cirricular activities I can think of, do you think things like visiting science museums or doing my own research into various fitness topics (i.e nutrition and exercise) would be worth talking about?
You don’t, simple as.
Who's doing your reference? It's probably something that would fit better there, and it would be better coming from someone else imo.
Reply 5
Original post by mma_jd
Ok thanks. In terms of extra cirricular activities I can think of, do you think things like visiting science museums or doing my own research into various fitness topics (i.e nutrition and exercise) would be worth talking about?

Yeah but be specific, what interested you or caught your eye during your visit and what did you do to find out more about what you saw, and why was it interesting? Give 3 or 4 solid examples like this and your personal statement will be good, they'll see that you have a passion for biology, you won't even need to say it.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by hajima
Yeah but be specific, what interested you or caught your eye during your visit and what did you do to find out more about what you saw, and why was it interesting? Give 3 or 4 solid examples like this and your personal statement will be good, they'll see that you have a passion for biology, you won't even need to say it.

Yeah that's a great idea I will be sure to go in depth thanks. Last question, obviously I will have no choice but to mention the business BTEC that I spent 2 years studying, I can't just ignore those 2 years of my life. Do you think I should mention something about how I initially thought this was the right choice for me, but during the BTEC my passion for biology grew further and by the time I realised this it was too late to give up on the BTEC? I mean I'm just trying to figure out how I will explain that part. I guess I can talk about the skills the business BTEC taught me such as research and time management skills, but talk about how biology is still my passion and I came to fully realise this on my gap year which is what pushed me to do an access course in science instead of going to uni for business (this is the truth)
Reply 7
Original post by mma_jd
Yeah that's a great idea I will be sure to go in depth thanks. Last question, obviously I will have no choice but to mention the business BTEC that I spent 2 years studying, I can't just ignore those 2 years of my life. Do you think I should mention something about how I initially thought this was the right choice for me, but during the BTEC my passion for biology grew further and by the time I realised this it was too late to give up on the BTEC? I mean I'm just trying to figure out how I will explain that part. I guess I can talk about the skills the business BTEC taught me such as research and time management skills, but talk about how biology is still my passion and I came to fully realise this on my gap year which is what pushed me to do an access course in science instead of going to uni for business (this is the truth)

Ignore your BTEC entirely, it simply isn't relevant to your application and shouldn't be talked about. Your personal statement is an opportunity to display the fact that you are willing to spend three years of your life immersing yourself in one subject, you do not have the space to talk about why you decided to take a BTEC in Business and, frankly, the universities you're applying to don't care.
Reply 8
Original post by hajima
Ignore your BTEC entirely, it simply isn't relevant to your application and shouldn't be talked about. Your personal statement is an opportunity to display the fact that you are willing to spend three years of your life immersing yourself in one subject, you do not have the space to talk about why you decided to take a BTEC in Business and, frankly, the universities you're applying to don't care.

Alright fair enough, thanks for your advice I do really appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending