The Student Room Group

Bad past grades on UCAS application affecting chances?

As required I included all past grades on my UCAS application. Now whilst this wasn't an issue with GCSEs as they were all quite high grades, I sat A Levels last year and got two Us and an E (due to extremely short study window - I study independently and personal life circumstances complicated things). I will obviously be resitting them this spring/summer and included them additionally as pending but I was wondering if those failed A Levels will hold me back in getting a place and if anyone else has experience with this? My top course choice has a BBB requirement, so given that my GCSEs, personal statement and resit grades make the cut do you think I'll be given an offer or will I be screwed until I've resat and have to apply next year?
Original post by EllaH2001
As required I included all past grades on my UCAS application. Now whilst this wasn't an issue with GCSEs as they were all quite high grades, I sat A Levels last year and got two Us and an E (due to extremely short study window - I study independently and personal life circumstances complicated things). I will obviously be resitting them this spring/summer and included them additionally as pending but I was wondering if those failed A Levels will hold me back in getting a place and if anyone else has experience with this? My top course choice has a BBB requirement, so given that my GCSEs, personal statement and resit grades make the cut do you think I'll be given an offer or will I be screwed until I've resat and have to apply next year?

I assume that as you're studying independently, you have no predicted grades. Is that right? Has your referee explained the reason for your very low grades last year?

For courses which are under-subscribed, you may well get an offer anyway; it does no harm for the university to make you an offer. If you don't meet the grades, they haven't lost-out.

However, for over-subscribed courses, universities have to limit the number of offers they make. When they do this, they'll make offers to candidates who are most likely to meet the requirements. It would be a surprise if you were to receive offers for such courses.

Hopefully you've applied for under-subscribed courses / universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending