The Student Room Group

Wrote less than word limit. Extremely worried !

Today I had an eng lang B igcse paper though it went well, but on section C, I messed up! Due to shortage of time.
Question asked about approximately 400 words but due to lack of time I only was able to put aprox 300 words there .

Do you guys think, examinar would still mark that particular question despite the fact that I was being no way near 400 words? 😭
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by FrostMan
Today I had an eng lang B igcse paper though it went well, but on section C, I messed up! Due to shortage of time.
Question asked about approximately 400 words but due to lack of time I only was able to put aprox 300 words there .

Do you guys think, examinar would still mark that particular question despite the fact that I was being no way near 400 words? 😭

I don't see any reason for the examiner not to mark the work that you had done, if it said approximately then i'm sure around 300 words will be fine, it might not get all the marks but i'm sure it will pick up a good few if the content is correct :smile:
Original post by FrostMan

The examiner should definitely mark the question. To be honest, I don't think word count is a huge issue at GCSE. These examiners will have an unbelievable amount of papers to mark: they won't be wasting any time counting a candidate's words to see how close it is to the approximation, it's more of a guidance for students to know how much detail they should include to get the highest marks. I remember going way over the word count for GCSE French writing (I didn't even realise there was a word count :dontknow:), and despite everyone telling me that I would fail my writing exam because I ignored it, I ended up getting a 9 on the paper...so even though they're slightly different situations, I really wouldn't get too hung up about the word count because it really isn't the be-all and end-all.

Everyone has experienced running out of time in an exam before, it's very common and I can guarantee that you won't be the only one. However long your answer was, the examiner will grade your answer and you will definitely gain marks from it! :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending