The Student Room Group

Should I write a cover letter and who to send it to?

I'm looking for relatively entry level work such as working in a warehouse, in a supermarket or apprenticeships. I want to write cover letters for each job application but the jobs I am applying for have an application process on their websites which doesn't allow me to submit a cover letter and CV (just the CV). Do I hunt down their recruitment manager and send them my CV and cover letter or something?
In my opinion, no. If an employer specifies they only want CV's that's what you give them, I always feel a basic part of any job application process is seeing if candidates follow what the ad asks for.
Original post by AxSirlotl
I'm looking for relatively entry level work such as working in a warehouse, in a supermarket or apprenticeships. I want to write cover letters for each job application but the jobs I am applying for have an application process on their websites which doesn't allow me to submit a cover letter and CV (just the CV). Do I hunt down their recruitment manager and send them my CV and cover letter or something?

The covering letter is implicit in a CV based application, it doesn't need asking for. The CV gives the technical evidence of relevant skills and experience, the covering letter is the persuasive element. The covering letter answers 3 unspoken questions - why do you want to do this type of work, why do you want to work for this organisation and why would you be good at it? Simply join them as a single document - they should be formatted in the same way anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending