The Student Room Group

Failing a-level chemistry

exams (mocks) in january and obviously the actual exam in june. how should i revise? i have terrible memory (&dyslexia/dyspraxia)? i write notes but that obviously doesn’t help me with alevels, but i don’t feel like i can do past papers because i don’t know/forget the content? what should i do?!?! thanks in advance zx
Original post by 14t
exams (mocks) in january and obviously the actual exam in june. how should i revise? i have terrible memory (&dyslexia/dyspraxia)? i write notes but that obviously doesn’t help me with alevels, but i don’t feel like i can do past papers because i don’t know/forget the content? what should i do?!?! thanks in advance zx

try doing past papers with your notes as this helps you understand what you actually need to know. also try and break things down into a simple way to make it easier to remember (try and understand the mechanisms rather than just write them out - this means you aren't trying to remember every single molecule they might ask but rather the process) i hope that makes sense lol
good luck and don't give up, you've got this!

ps: i wrote out alot of things on whiteboards. write out a mechanism using your notes, wipe it off and try re drawing it without notes
Reply 2
Original post by med_applicant1
try doing past papers with your notes as this helps you understand what you actually need to know. also try and break things down into a simple way to make it easier to remember (try and understand the mechanisms rather than just write them out - this means you aren't trying to remember every single molecule they might ask but rather the process) i hope that makes sense lol
good luck and don't give up, you've got this!

ps: i wrote out alot of things on whiteboards. write out a mechanism using your notes, wipe it off and try re drawing it without notes

thank u sm! i’ve made notes for AS but should I bother making them for year 2 or should i do past paper questions with the CGP revision guide (+ the whiteboard stuff that you said)? i hope i actually remember stuff tho
Original post by 14t
thank u sm! i’ve made notes for AS but should I bother making them for year 2 or should i do past paper questions with the CGP revision guide (+ the whiteboard stuff that you said)? i hope i actually remember stuff tho

I mean I’m a fan of notes but you have to do what works for you. If you don’t think you can learn that way then maybe you’re better spending time attempting as many ppqs as possible?
What about mind maps? I made some and stuck them up on my walls. If you’re a visual learner then looking at things over and over every time you walk past might help some things stick into your brain!!
Reply 4
Original post by med_applicant1
I mean I’m a fan of notes but you have to do what works for you. If you don’t think you can learn that way then maybe you’re better spending time attempting as many ppqs as possible?
What about mind maps? I made some and stuck them up on my walls. If you’re a visual learner then looking at things over and over every time you walk past might help some things stick into your brain!!

thanks again for replying! i’ve been writing notes for a year but it’s hasn’t got me very far. definitely gonna start with with ppqs (i have been doing them before but i can never get my brain to focus enough). i’m a visual learner so yes mindmaps would help however i really don’t kmow how to lay them out or what to write as there’s so much content :/

Quick Reply

Latest