The Student Room Group

25, feel as though I will be too old to join societies.

I'm not 25 yet but by the time I'm going to be doing my Masters degree I will be. I've never had the 'uni experience' as I worked for a few years before finally going to uni at 22. I attend a really small uni so the societies aren't that sought after and rarely have anything going on but I'm hoping to go to a much bigger uni for my masters and as I'll be moving across the country for it, I want to join some societies that interest me but I'm so worried that I'll feel too old to be there.
Don’t feel too old to join societies, it’s about sharing a similar interest with others and meeting new people. I’m part of a couple of societies which have from 1st years to masters students in them and every student is welcome to join.

I hope you enjoy your course masters course :smile:
Don't worry. :smile:
I've been a member of quite a few uni societies and student groups where the age range of the other members was between 20s-60s.
At one group I was the only person in the 20s age range, all the other members were in their 30s+.
People of all ages are in societies, and you can hardly tell the difference between different ages unless there are massive gaps e.g. 18 vs. 30
I agree with the other posts, you're not at all too old and there is no such thing to begin with. Obviously be aware you are older when dealing people fresh out of school but in all likeliness you'll probably forget the age groups rapidly if they even exist. I've seen people from as old as 30 in my classes and in their 40's in societies. About 1/3 of the people I talked to in societies were your age and they were great people to be around.
Go for it
Definitely not too old.
Reply 7
i'm 26 and I'm one of the youngest in my uni course and the two societies i'm in! 25 isn't too old at all.
Original post by NoMood6202
I'm not 25 yet but by the time I'm going to be doing my Masters degree I will be. I've never had the 'uni experience' as I worked for a few years before finally going to uni at 22. I attend a really small uni so the societies aren't that sought after and rarely have anything going on but I'm hoping to go to a much bigger uni for my masters and as I'll be moving across the country for it, I want to join some societies that interest me but I'm so worried that I'll feel too old to be there.

You’ll be fine. If you find people with similar banter & form a rapport.
Just have to be pragmatic about it all. Being a masters student you’re not going to have the same ease as a fresher trying societies as your work will be more intense but you’ll figure it out.
I wouldn't worry, my 21st was shortly after joining university, even then while 'generally' the oldest I was far from the oldest. Plus you'll have plenty of people who redid a year at college, did gap years and foundations years (I knew one who did all three), so you won't be the odlest.

That said I'm 28 and starting my second undergraduate degree in may!

People are a lot more mature in universities than you give them credit for. If you want to apply, apply.
Hi
You will soon forget this once you are there.

As a mindset for life in general its best not to use age in itself as a cut off for anything . It really is just a number . i recall a friend at uni moaning at 25y birthday 'ohh im a quarter of a century old ' .
Seriously? in the scheme of things, i never heard anything so silly and at the time was same age i was suprised at the mentality.
Not saying you're like this, just my view on the subject.
Enjoy your life, people generally like mixing with others of different ages anyway as your life experience is different.
Reply 12
I doubt anyone really goes "ew so old, so unrelatable, leave this society". There are also graduate-only societies, and societies on topics that tend to be popular around older students. Really, tons of options.

Personally, if I was a 17 year old in a society with a 25 year old I'd immediately start off with respect for them but the rest of the relationship would be the usual.

I think every other answer has good points in it - really, no one can tell the difference between 22 vs 25 y/o, especially if you're trying to keep a "young" look.

Hello @NoMood6202,

Hope you are doing well! :smile:

I would not worry about the age difference, societies are open to be joined by university students who most of the time will have a varied range age wise. As long as you have a keen interest in the societies you join, as well as are willing to get involved in society activities; your age should not be an issue.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions please do feel free to ask! :smile:

All the best,

Shaf
I just started uni at 21, and I have joined many sport clubs!! you can do it too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending